WrathOfHan

Monday Numbers: Justice League 7.5M | Wonder 4M | Thor 2.5M

Just now, Rebeccas said:

A solo Dr. Strange film has a decent change of outgrossing JL.. think about what you're saying lol

Yeah, but Dr Strange was a premier concept that needed fans to know nothing going in...Avengers 3 asks a lot of fans...and the more you ask, the more danger you are in to under-perform, especially if you make a movie that is not well received critically...

Is it likely?  I mean, MCU hasn't had a true critical failure yet, so probably not...but then JL under $100 OW wasn't likely either 6 months out...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mredman said:

[mod edit]

The mob mentality here is ugly

Listen, this forum almost had a meltdown over Age of Ultron, a film that got 74% on RT and made $1.4 billion. If Marvel ever releases an Avengers movie that gets 39% on RT and makes $93m OW, well let's just say this JL weekend will be considered calm.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Diana Prince said:

I couldn’t agree more. Some people are gloating because they view this as payback for WW’s success. 

:winomg:

I’m pretty sure most of the posters liked/loved WW and were elated at its success. It’s WW that had many of us expecting great numbers from JL. Since that didn’t happen, some are just telling it like they see it.

• Like 10

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, but Dr Strange was a premier concept that needed fans to know nothing going in...Avengers 3 asks a lot of fans...and the more you ask, the more danger you are in to under-perform, especially if you make a movie that is not well received critically...

Is it likely?  I mean, MCU hasn't had a true critical failure yet, so probably not...but then JL under $100 OW wasn't likely either 6 months out...

LOL ok but $93m OW? Come on, don't let your bitterness blind you to reality.

The selling point of BO following is the up and down. You can praise/be amaze at overperformers. You have the underperformers to ponder about. And then you have outright flops/disasters to laugh at.

It’s all about the balance.

Edited by Sam
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, mredman said:

its still immature behavior that should belong on the closed imdb boards not here. Lets see where this ends up on. DCEU already made 3.4 billion on ticket sales alone from 4 movies. With a combined budget of 799 millon combined. this is not even counting JL. DCEU will be fine. They will do phase 2 now start with solos and sequels then move into JL2 eventually kind of like the MCU way. Then likely with a more controled budget of 150-180 million for the solos. more safe for profit

Just accept that this is a disaster and hope that WB learns a lesson and gives us better things to come. Spinning this isn't going to make the numbers any higher.

[mod edit]

Probably not. This behavior went on for 200

pages. Don’t listen to the ones who say they would. Some of them were very defensive about the huge Spider-Man Homecoming drop on the second weekend. I did not see laughing then and why should there have been? That movie made an excellent recovery and it deserves it. Mention that Thor dropped really heavy last weekend and you get the spin. So no, they wouldn’t be laughing if this were an MCU movie. I think they are just young fanboys and girls. There is still that emotional attachment to comic books.  

• Like 2

Just now, Diana Prince said:

pages. Don’t listen to the ones who say they would. Some of them were very defensive about the huge Spider-Man Homecoming drop on the second weekend. I did not see laughing then and why should there have been? That movie made an excellent recovery and it deserves it. Mention that Thor dropped really heavy last weekend and you get the spin. So no, they wouldn’t be laughing if this were an MCU movie. I think they are just young fanboys and girls. There is still that emotional attachment to comic books.  

You're literally one to talk.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

635m do sound quite low for a movie making around 100m in China....

I think WW or IT profit alone would cover even the worst case scenario lost of 100m in profit, 50m profit is a movie like Captain Philips, 100m in profit is a movie like Superbad (it did 120m in profit between the studios and talents), Hancock made 200m in profit between Will Smith and the studio.

WB operating income (gross profit) in 2016 were of 1,700 millions.

This is why I say the film has a shot at 700mil.

185 foreign so far let’s see if it’s well 300mil by Monday.

It needs to earn 115mil to cross the mark .

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

LOL ok but $93m OW? Come on, don't let your bitterness blind you to reality.

Who's bitter?  I loved most Marvel universe movies and have only missed 3 in theater...I'm a fan of them all...

Cap series is my favorite:)...of all the series, even with Iron Man being an idiot at the end of #3:)...

• Like 2

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Who's bitter?  I loved most Marvel universe movies and have only missed 3 in theater...I'm a fan of them all...

Cap series is my favorite:)...of all the series, even with Iron Man being an idiot at the end of #3:)...

I mean @ the JL OW. There's a lot of deflection going on here lol

10 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Yikes that would be one of the biggest flops of all time. 

Not sure if 635m would make it a contender for the top 50 flops, it is still more than doubling is budget in a merchandise type of movie.

There is a list of giant budget movie that didn't do 15% of their budget at the box office, plutot Nash, Gigli, Heaven's Gate with some of them closing studios, some less terrible but still in an other category, Mars Needs Moms, Monster Trucks, Stealth, How do you know, etc..

4 minutes ago, mredman said:

its still immature behavior that should belong on the closed imdb boards not here. Lets see where this ends up on. DCEU already made 3.4 billion on ticket sales alone from 4 movies. With a combined budget of 799 millon combined. this is not even counting JL. DCEU will be fine. They will do phase 2 now start with solos and sequels then move into JL2 eventually kind of like the MCU way. Then likely with a more controled budget of 150-180 million for the solos. more safe for profit

3.1b actually after 4 movies. Still good though

• Like 1

[mod edit]

If the avengers would be performing like this next year, the conversation would certainly be different, it would be about a fear of global collapse for the industry and so on that is for sure, but the difference would be mostly normal imo.

• Like 2

Honestly, if Marvel ever put out a film that gets 39% on RT and 46 on MC, I think most fans would be angry at the studio for putting out shit and letting them down? I mean, look at the response to AoU.. a decently received film by critics by superhero standards, but fans were soooo pissed off they bullied Joss off twitter. I have a feeling MCU fans are more like SW fans.. they may actually be a lot harsher on their own franchise than critics.

• Like 1

Just now, Rebeccas said:

I mean @ the JL OW. There's a lot of deflection going on here lol

It's not deflection...I think I've posted an entire 1000 word treatise on my thoughts and expectations of legs on the weekend thread (won't be WW and Spidey, even if I wanted it to be)...

I've also posted my now lowered expectations of Aquaman if what JL had is what that movie has...

I can also post that I think Avengers 3 will be Marvel's toughest sell and they shouldn't look past selling it, since critics are no guarantee and JL is a lesson that just b/c everyone's favorite characters are in the movie doesn't mean you instantly sell the movie...

2 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

We were defensive cause the movie had potential and indeed it recovered.

We didn't call those who didn't agree with us "IMDB boards trolls". The most I did was calling someone very annoying, but I never told them "stop posting about the second week" or something along these lines