That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Are you sure about that? :WHATanabe:

20160517-captainamerica-2.jpg

It was a team up Captain America film, which is what raised the ceiling on what it otherwise would have been, but still not an Avengers films. And I disagree it was marketed as one. The tone of the marketing and the film itself was quite different from the TA films and more in line with the CA films. And it was a heroes v heroes film like BvS, again different than what the Avengers films are. 

If nothing else, the name alone doesn't carry the widespread appeal of an Avengers film, because the title was still Captain America. Even changing it to Captain America vs Iron Man may have added some bucks to the BO. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tauren Warlock said:

My optimistic predictions for Coco.

Dom: $280 million

Worldwide: $900 million

We might actually come close to that $900m, depending on what China does.

As for the DOM, I'm going to wait for Monday numbers to make a judgement on legs.

58 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It was a team up Captain America film, which is what raised the ceiling on what it otherwise would have been, but still not an Avengers films. And I disagree it was marketed as one. The tone of the marketing and the film itself was quite different from the TA films and more in line with the CA films. And it was a heroes v heroes film like BvS, again different than what the Avengers films are. 

If nothing else, the name alone doesn't carry the widespread appeal of an Avengers film, because the title was still Captain America. Even changing it to Captain America vs Iron Man may have added some bucks to the BO. 

That honestly just sounds like fan rationalization for CW and IW imo.

CW behaved like a sequel to AoU, not TWS.

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

15 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Sure, it could start having great holds. I think what it's done so far is okay holds at best -- not great, not awful. If it drops less than 55% next weekend we can start to talk about good legs (for a CBM). 

I agree with that but maybe sometimes we weigh legs too heavily especially with CBMs. Wonder Woman's legs were amazing off a pretty good OW.  But for the most part, I mean even if this legged it to $300M it'd still be very disappointing.   CBMs are so dependent on the OW.  

http://deadline.com/2017/11/call-me-by-your-name-best-average-darkest-hour-robust-start-specialty-box-office-1202214595/

Three Billboards is going into over 1,000 theaters next weekend and not the 750-1,000 range reported last week. That'll go up to 1,500 IMO. No word on how Lady Bird will expand, though I'm also expecting 1,300+ there

12 minutes ago, The Panda said:

That honestly just sounds like fan rationalization for CW and IW imo.

CW behaved like a sequel to AoU, not TWS.

No it didn't. The only tie to AoU was that the battle of Sokovia was one of the tragic events that led to the Sokovia accords. Half the core Avengers (Thor and Hulk) are elsewhere and the main source of tension between the hero's is Bucky Barnes, aka the Winter Soldier, so the story picks up that storyline from the previous Captain America movie

Edited by JB33

Lady Bird is good, not great if you're not from California or if you don't have nostalgia for where you grew up. Three Billboards works really well as a comedy, works okay as a film about personal loss, and works great as a snapshot of 2017 in rural America. 

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

No it didn't. The only tie to AoU was that the battle of Sokovia was one of the tragic events that led to the Sokovia accords. Half the core Avengers (Thor and Hulk) are elsewhere and the main source of tension between the hero's is Bucky Barnes, aka the Winter Soldier, so the story picks up that storyline from the previous Captain America movie

He meant box office wise.

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I think both arguments are correct. We can't pretend that it wasn't primarily a Captain America movie. It was and I'm sure that had an effect. On the other hand the marketing did focus heavily on the team aspect and Age of Ultron did have a so-so response, but even in the wake of that Civil War only made 40-50 mil less.

In the end I think it's irrelevant. Given the mostly rapturous response to phase 3 films, I'd expect Infinity War to make more than Civil War. Unless it's downright bad of course. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 2

Predictions for next weekend:

Coco: 24M

Wonder: 13.4M

Justice League: 13.3M

Three Billboards: 8.6M (I'm expecting 1,500 theaters; 6.1M if the TC is 1,000+ like currently planned)

Thor: Ragnarok: 8.1M
Murder on the Orient Express: 6.1M

Daddy's Home 2: 6M

Lady Bird: 5.7M (I'm expecting 1,300 theaters)

The Star: 2.6M

Roman Israel/A Bad Moms Christmas: 2.3M

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Uh, thats a huge part. The villain and entire  plot of CW followed what happened in AOU

RDj was also all over the makeketing for CW and was top liked. It also introduced Spider-Man and Black Panther. So yes, CW was definitely more like an Avengers film in

presentation than just a Cap solo film  

Edited by John Marston