DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

16 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I don’t care about Marvel/X-Men shit or avatar. What’s gonna happen to fox searchlight and non-comic book/franchise films? 

Hard to predict but Fox Searchlight is the Fox thing that has the most chance to stay almost intact (maybe their movie distribution will go faster on streaming and more often streaming only in some markets once Disney start it).

It is quite different than what Disney do and a nice expertise, library building to be continued with them, no risk of confusion either.

For regular Fox, it could become more fuzzy more rapidly and they could just use their library and just continue the Avatar level franchises from it, in a way a bit similar to the Disney model, making it even bigger in IP usable that is doing so well for them, you add the Simpsons, Avatar, How to train your dragon, Planet of the Apes, Kingsman, etc...

Not sure if they would ever fully integrate it under the less banner model they started too, the Century Fox fanfar in the beginning is iconic, series like Predator/Apes and so could still be released under that banner (not that it is necessarily important the logo).

The biggest unknow is what they do with the 10+ non big franchise a year Fox did (not Searchlight) movie business model, one that is maybe not attractive for Disney right now, I can imagine that stopping.

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I won't be convinced that a company owning 40% of the revenue of a market is just fine for us costumers. I don't care if it's even worse in other markets or industries, it doesn't change one bit the fact that it's simply not okay for the costumers.

I don't give a damn about anti-trust concerns or law concerns over this - concentrating power in the hands of fewer and fewer companies just never ends well for the costumers. And we are the fucking costumers in this and we should be fucking worried every single time it happens.

It really boggles my mind that some of you are actually happy with this.

Why do you care so much about the costumers. I'm sure  the cosplay industry will continue  to thrive. 

Edited by eddyxx

I get the feeling that some people think Disney is going to spend 60 billion so they can just shut down Fox and make all those movies they make go away.

All this "doomsday" stuff.   It will be about as accurate as most doomsday predictions...not at all.   (We were all supposed to have AIDS by now, undergoing mass starvation due to over population, and be in the throes of catastrophic climate change....according to predictions made decades ago)

Doomsayers never factor in things like human ingenuity and market reactions.   The market will decide what movies get made just like they always have.    If there is a need for another studio to do what Disney supposedly won't do (according to doomsayers) then that will happen.   There are thousands of filmmakers in the world just looking for an opening.

Not to mention that the world is changing how we entertain ourselves.   Youtube already offers a huge outlet for people to express ideas and entertainment.   Who knows what else is coming?   We certainly don't.

5 hours ago, Chewy said:

The world will burn but at least we'll Make The X-Men Great Again

This "world" you talk about here is...movies.

In other words you are claiming movies you like are more important than movies other people like.

Fans of the X-men have just as much right as you to be invested in this either way.   Your movies are not more important to anyone but yourself.

5 hours ago, RRA said:

That last one (Deadpool) is going to be interesting see what Feige and his crew will do with that in the long term. Last year in an interview he was asked point blank if MCU would ever wade into the R-rated pool and he said no and had no plans to. But now you have Deadpool which made a lot of money. From what I've read about Marvel over the years, there is one thing they love more than anything else and its a trait they share with King Mickey: money. It's not just box office, but merchandise. We all heard the stories of Ike Perlmutter refusing to put out merchandise for Fox-produced Marvel movies because he considered it a form of marketing for them. Yet I see friggin Deadpool T-shirts at Wal-Mart. Why? Because that makes so much money, Marvel wasn't willing to let that money be left sitting on the table. And now that they're on the edge of fully owning him (plus those other licensed to Fox characters), they're gonna not stop doing R-rated Deadpool? I have trouble believing that. Feige is many things, but "stupid" is almost never used to describe him. 

Don't forget that whole quote from Feige.   “I don’t think it’s out of the question. When I started at Marvel seventeen years ago, the Blade franchise was doing very well. A lot of people didn’t even know that it was based on a Marvel character because at the time they sort of hid the fact it was Marvel. So, not out of the question, but not something we’re working on right now,”

That's not really a "no".

5 hours ago, RRA said:

So my guess: they'll ride it out with Deadpool franchise with Ryan Reynolds and whore that character which was what Fox was planning anyway before this deal. Who knows, he might even show up for a cameo in IFINITY WAR just because. That's a good thing about that character, his 4th wall breaking/self-awareness allows you to skirt continuity/logic gaps that normally you would have to be anal about in dealing with. If it was Wolverine, we would baffled and asking how he and Mutants exist in this MCU without being mentioned not once or whatever. If it's Deadpool and after he kills scores of aliens, he tells Cap and Bucky to just get over it and get married because believes they're straight ("Where's your beard Sharon, Steve?")....I think most folks would just accept that at face value.  

That's genius.

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

oh no how dare we not have our x-men in our cartoons and video games.  this is the most important thing we need right now and the larger implications of Disney buying Fox means nothing.  all that matters is we see wolverine and magneto in a video game.

Same as above.   You are talking about movies you like as if they are vastly more important than movies other people like.

If a person is concerned by X-men cartoons and video games more than your Searchlight movies, that's a valid view.

3 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

I notice someone bumped up the value to 68 Billion for that article.   Wonder if Fox is involved there.

2 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

. And if you aren't a fan of a studio, then I don't see why it would even matter if one company buys another.

Exactly.    Notice how it isn't a problem if someone other than Disney buys the Fox assets?    Fox is going to sell to someone...but that is not the focus.   Nope...it's all about Disney instead.

So there is some kind of rooting interest thing going on here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PPG said:

60B Is a good deal for those amount content , Why don't Apple brought FOX since we know they are so into the business ?

Just waiting till the deal is done and then they’ll buy Disney. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Apple won't buy Fox, Disney or any of these content maker. Apple wants to be a dominating platform, not a content provider. For the same reason Google won't do that either.

Apple Microsoft Amazon are already content maker no ?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/16/16155600/apple-original-tv-content-1-billion-investment

https://www.recode.net/2017/11/8/16624586/apple-reese-witherspoon-jennifer-aniston-tv-news-brian-stelter

If studio start distributing content more and more directly themselve now (and if government let them do it, unlike when they lost the right of owning the movie theater), platform could fear being cut of content and starting to make their own.

Also when you buy Apple today you buy way too much cash.

Youtube starting production seem inevitable:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/4/15552204/youtube-original-tv-shows-kevin-hart-ellen-degeneres

The fact they started producing content make them potential buyer no ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Apple won't buy Fox, Disney or any of these content maker. Apple wants to be a dominating platform, not a content provider. For the same reason Google won't do that either.

Apple is definitely trying to become a content provider. They were bidding for the James Bond distribution deal. They’re also developing TV shows. It’s only a matter of time before they start developing movies, or they’ll just acquire a studio that already does that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Apple Microsoft Amazon are already content maker no ?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/16/16155600/apple-original-tv-content-1-billion-investment

https://www.recode.net/2017/11/8/16624586/apple-reese-witherspoon-jennifer-aniston-tv-news-brian-stelter

If studio start distributing content more and more directly themselve now (and if government let them do it, unlike when they lost the right of owning the movie theater), platform could fear being cut of content and starting to make their own.

Also when you buy Apple today you buy way too much cash.

Youtube starting production seem inevitable:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/4/15552204/youtube-original-tv-shows-kevin-hart-ellen-degeneres

The fact they started producing content make them potential buyer no ?

1 hour ago, Deja23 said:

Apple is definitely trying to become a content provider. They were bidding for the James Bond distribution deal. They’re also developing TV shows. It’s only a matter of time before they start developing movies, or they’ll just acquire a studio that already does that. 

What I meant was Apple is looking for becoming a donimating platform instead of a donimating content maker like Disney or Netflix. Selling more hardwares is and will be Apple's priority in the foreseeable future. Anything Apple does is for selling more hardwares and keeping users stick to their platform, which means for Apple content-making is always a sidekick. The case is obviously not the same as those whose priority IS selling content.

I understand that severe competition could force platforms to make their own content (which is actually what's happening in China right now), but that's the problem that those pure platforms (such as youtube) would have to worry. It's not nearly fearing enough to force Apple to spend big bucks to buy out a company with the business model they're not even close to being good at.

I do think Amazon is more of a potential buyer because of Amazon's retail-business nature and Bezos's ambitious vision. But as mentioned above, these traditional big Hollywood studios' business model are far too different comparing to internet-based streaming, I think it's gonna have to be under extreme conditions for Amazon to even try to buy any of them.

Edited by vc2002

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Oh so we can only be dicks and sarcastic  to the English  speaking posters in this thread (see, the first 11 pages). Got it.

Did I say they were ok? No I didn't. But being a nitpicky ass to someone who's first language isn't English just because of a different opinion is a dick move.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Anyone who thinks the post-merger film industry will be anything close to a monopoly should take a look at the computer market.

Operating System Market Share

2016-12 to 2017-11

Platform  Share
Windows 89.01%  
Mac OS 7.92%  
Linux 2.31%  

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx

89,01% !

Talk about a competitive environment.

This is like... light years away from the situation we're in with Disney buying Fox

Zoom out guys, see things outside of the vacuum. For starters, we have no idea how things will really go. Most of the doom & gloom is based on pure speculation so far.

As a wise Jedi Master said

tumblr_oxnomhBH0D1w7d305o3_540.gif 

Why do people keep bringing up ridiculous comparisons?

Just because there are other industries that are worse, does not mean that this industry is doing fine.

The trend is bad, and that's the focus.

If Disney bought over DC, do you think the same number of superhero movies would be made every year?

Disney has cut their slate considerably. Fact. Their slate is pretty much only brands. Fact. This was Iger's plan. Fact.

Where do you think the new financing for Fox movies is going to come from?

And, lest you be ignorant, Disney has ignored its back catalogue on home video for years. Only the same few animated classics get rereleased again and again, whilst others are released with shoddy transfers or not at all. Let's not talk about anyone who was fans of their live action work or anything from Hollywood Pictures etc.

Maybe, they make different decisions, but based on their outlook, the industry trend and their own admitted focus, it's more realistic to see the downfalls than these diversionary non-arguments that people keep bringing up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

I get the feeling that some people think Disney is going to spend 60 billion so they can just shut down Fox and make all those movies they make go away.

All this "doomsday" stuff.   It will be about as accurate as most doomsday predictions...not at all.   (We were all supposed to have AIDS by now, undergoing mass starvation due to over population, and be in the throes of catastrophic climate change....according to predictions made decades ago)

Doomsayers never factor in things like human ingenuity and market reactions.   The market will decide what movies get made just like they always have.    If there is a need for another studio to do what Disney supposedly won't do (according to doomsayers) then that will happen.   There are thousands of filmmakers in the world just looking for an opening.

Not to mention that the world is changing how we entertain ourselves.   Youtube already offers a huge outlet for people to express ideas and entertainment.   Who knows what else is coming?   We certainly don't.

This "world" you talk about here is...movies.

In other words you are claiming movies you like are more important than movies other people like.

Fans of the X-men have just as much right as you to be invested in this either way.   Your movies are not more important to anyone but yourself.

Don't forget that whole quote from Feige.   “I don’t think it’s out of the question. When I started at Marvel seventeen years ago, the Blade franchise was doing very well. A lot of people didn’t even know that it was based on a Marvel character because at the time they sort of hid the fact it was Marvel. So, not out of the question, but not something we’re working on right now,”

That's not really a "no".

That's genius.

Same as above.   You are talking about movies you like as if they are vastly more important than movies other people like.

If a person is concerned by X-men cartoons and video games more than your Searchlight movies, that's a valid view.

I notice someone bumped up the value to 68 Billion for that article.   Wonder if Fox is involved there.

Exactly.    Notice how it isn't a problem if someone other than Disney buys the Fox assets?    Fox is going to sell to someone...but that is not the focus.   Nope...it's all about Disney instead.

So there is some kind of rooting interest thing going on here.

No one is even remotely suggesting they are taking over Fox to close it. What an inaccurate dismissal.

Once again, comparisons are way off. Did anyone understand AIDS back then? Climate change is going out of control, just because you don't see it, doesn't mean the process can suddenly be reversed once it passes breaking point. There are millions in poverty and are starving. It's not yet the end, so don't conclude just yet.

Once again, no one is saying that ingenious movies can't happen. However, it's going to be even harder. As, is what happens when corporations are allowed to get bigger and bigger. I would like to blame all of this on the Western world's pandering to them during the Reagan era and we are suffering the consequences, and it will get worse yet. Money corrupts all, but obviously politicians are first and without backbone in much of the Congress. Pity. Look at DAJK's post on Star Wars/Disney, and tell me that nothing will happen.

You bring up YouTube, but as YouTube has got bigger, it too has started censoring, starving content creators of funds, all kinds of dictatorial shit. There are hints of where a company is heading. Look at Amazon and home video pricing. They used to be a leader, now after years of having the best deals, they only price match. Once the competition is out, they get to do whatever they want.

There are more important things than the X-Men. Fact. Just because someone cares more about superheroes doesn't actually mean that those are the most important actual consequences.

Fox shouldn't be sold, but if they are too, then, yes Disney is one of the worst places it could go. It's not an agenda, it's based on people observing the trends and history moreso than those who are just drinking the Kool-Aid. It's not great that the only movies some people care about are superheroes and brands, but fine, that's the choices they have made. However, a lot more potential exists outside this narrow corridor. Disney's past shows and even future shows no signs that it supports the same kind of ethos as Fox.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

I actually wasn’t referring to Searchlight movies here and more the larger implications of two huge companies merging like this, but hey you do you

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Do yall really believe Disney is shutting down money makers like r rated movies and freaking Fox Searchlight, the biggest awards machine :hahaha:

Yes and No. I’m pretty sure apart from Avatar and the Marvel movies Fox has, Disney is uninterested film wise of whatever Fox has and largely focused on brands, but at the same time they know their streaming service needs adult content to survive, sure they can import the older TV shows and movies but they still need new adult content, I’m pretty sure Searchlight and Fox will continue but at the same time the output would be lesser than usual.

5 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

Yep. X-Men are the most important thing their future is secured, sure the Searchlight division and the other franchise Fox owns have a rocky future, the financial and monopilial implications, the thousand of people who’ll lose jobs and the small theaters will hurt, but they’re all minor issues. X-Men will be “good” again.

(I’m happy to see F4 and XM in the MCU but there is bigger issues to worry about since that future for F4 and XM will likely be the easiest path and most secure compared to everything else in the deal)

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord