DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would not give much weight to any early talks, in 10-15 year's it would be clearer, they didn't announced they will be closing Lucas Art games studio before the deal went through.

Deadpool already had the marvel logo and was already R, it is not necessarily relevant to what will happen in 2025 has new projects.

Has for liking Disney stuff, last non franchise live action Disney made that people liked quite a bit ? No one worries for how Disney will handle the acquired franchise stuff I think, they have a good track record at that, but since the first Pirates of the Caribbean it is hard to point to a successful live action Disney stuff.

You're keeping Fox as a studio though.  Meaning they keep the creative talents and such as well.

Disney isn't buying Fox so they can shut down their assets that don't fit the 'Disney Brand'.  They're buying Fox Assets so they can have properties that go beyond the Disney Brand without having to Brand it Disney.  

If they want a successful streaming service, having one that has major awards contenders, a variety of content and franchises is important.  They also need a larger stream of new content to go into that service.

Fox Searchlight and various Fox Brands allow Disney to expand from the current demographics they currently have covered from Star Wars, Marvel and Animation.

A smart studio (which Disney and Iger are) aren't going to spend 60b on a deal and not intend to use it.

Edited by The Last Panda

2 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Are Spider-Man film rights transferable? 

Also can't wait for Universal to buy Paramount so we  can see Vin Diesel in the next Transformers movie. 

I suspect with Spider-Man, if the film rights transferred to Disney then Sony or whoever owned Sony would still have distribution rights for the previous rights similar to how Paramount will still distribute and own the the first four Indiana Jones film and will get a stake in the fifth film.

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Perhaps. I know the Dreamworks deal didn't work out, and Miramax had its own things going on with Harvey but...it seems like Disney has a history of wanting it one year, and eventually they decide we can just funnel that money into something that'll be guaranteed more successful.

DreamWorks was a distribution deal but the fact DreamWorks only had one hit in the time Disney were involved means it wasn't a huge loss

5 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Side note but relevant I guess.

Remember Disneyland is 125 bucks a day... it was 45 in 2001. 1,100 a year

Knotts Berry farm is 92 bucks for a year,

Six flags is 85 a year. 

Cheapest hotel at the disney world cost more than a upper mid tier hotel at Universal orlando resort (which every single disney site agrees is nicer too) 

The disney theme park fans are mad disney has been getting cheaper* with there money every single year.  Penny pinching. 

They raised tickets every year for 15 years  at disneyland again, while as a whole they cut park hours, less operating hours,  and cut one show time per show a day, Less fireworks and such (too expensive)  Why did they cut all this, because China Disney went over budget. You can buy fox for 75 billion but have to make all our theme park close an hour earlier one year because your "tight" on cash. LOL. 

At Disneyland a report came out saying guest are getting on 15-20% less rides because of new pay for play fast past programs that slow up wait times... Do they care? Nope. fan sites complain every day but they doing it because spending is up.  

And Disney is a DICK to Anaheim. La times was right. Ive been following that story for almost a decade. 

Disney is also a HUGE dick to its theme park employees . You have to park off site, wait for a bus, get back stage and change before your allowed to clock in. you gotta show up 30 - 45 minutes early everyday unpaid to be on time. 

They decided NOT to build a closer parking garage for them for the last half decade because the city wouldn't give them a tax cut. Cry babies. they have the money. 

To be fair, Universal prices are insane here too. For both Universal and Islands Of Adventure. All the resorts. Pick your poison.

Edit: Oh and pretty sure Disney started that Pay for play thing due to Universal having the Single Riders thing first. You didn't have to pay for it with Universal but as a frequent attender to Halloween Horror Nights, the express prices are fucking outrageous.

On the biggest peak nights it was $149.99 for a pass to wait in a smaller line. $150!

Edited by somebody85

Just now, MrPink said:

Perhaps. I know the Dreamworks deal didn't work out, and Miramax had its own things going on with Harvey but...it seems like Disney has a history of wanting it one year, and eventually they decide we can just funnel that money into something that'll be guaranteed more successful.

To be fair, the DreamWorks deal did produce a ton of high-profile duds (remember I Am Number Four? Or the Fright Night remake? Or People Like Us? Delivery Man? Yeah, didn't think so) with only a few actual contenders (The Help, Lincoln, and Bridge of Spies being the only ones). As long as Fox Searchlight continues to churn out quality work (and concentrates on that...nobody will be crying if the Table 19's of the world disappeared) and gets recognized for it, they would have no real incentive to do away with them.

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I remember about a recent study showing that most job losses happened because of automation,  not globalization. Lordmandeep is manipulated by the far right on that one.

85% of manufacturing job loss in the 2000s is attributed to automation, not globalization. The other thing to consider is that there is a ton of very real tangible output gain that can be measured (like 30% increases in total output) that's unlikely to happen with this deal, good or bad.

The mistake for the U.S. is the inability to adapt to it. Germany fared better in that regard.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Who is to say that won't happen? Comcast could easily go buy the other studios (Sony/Paramount) and Apple could still easily buy Disney.

Comcast could, but Sony/Paramount would have been targets anyways.

Disney on the other hand is starting to become to big to buy, especially if their venture into streaming goes well.  They're a much harder target for Apple to take with this expansion.

3 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

They raised tickets every year for 15 years  at disneyland again, while as a whole they cut park hours, less operating hours,  and cut one show time per show a day, Less fireworks and such (too expensive)  Why did they cut all this, because China Disney went over budget. You can buy fox for 75 billion but have to make all our theme park close an hour earlier one year because your "tight" on cash. LOL. 

Not to dispute your other points, because they are fair and appropriate, but my understanding is that the deal involved mostly shares, so not cash. They’re giving Fox almost 25% stake in Disney worth $52.4b. I guess some cash will be given, but not $75b worth. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. 

I need some time to digest this. On one hand, most of Fox studios are staying untampered for now, it prevents Apple from buying Disney (now that’s a terrifying monopoly), keeps theaters alive, it can possibly prevent superhero fatigue (which tbh is one of the only things keeping the theater’s alive now) and they would’ve sold either way but on the other hand thousands will lose jobs, Disney can continue being douches to theaters even more so now, possible less diversity and less films from Fox and who knows how long they want Searchlight.

On a side note does Disney wants Hulu as well as it’s own Netflix?

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

85% of manufacturing job loss in the 2000s is attributed to automation, not globalization. The other thing to consider is that there is a ton of very real tangible output gain that can be measured (like 30% increases in total output)

The mistake for the U.S. is the inability to adapt to it. Germany fared better in that regard.

Germany also has a hold on the EU t that works in its favour? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, the DreamWorks deal did produce a ton of high-profile duds (remember I Am Number Four? Or the Fright Night remake? Or People Like Us? Delivery Man? Yeah, didn't think so) with only a few actual contenders (The Help, Lincoln, and Bridge of Spies being the only ones). As long as Fox Searchlight continues to churn out quality work (and concentrates on that...nobody will be crying if the Table 19's of the world disappeared) and gets recognized for it, they would have no real incentive to do away with them.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying, Searchlight still needs to be successful.

Despite some quality films over the past few years (this year looks better), Searchlight hasn't done too well since Birdman. Luckily for them they're not gonna be hemorrhaging money like Dreamworks did since they're smaller budgets.

2 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Comcast could, but Sony/Paramount would have been targets anyways.

Disney on the other hand is starting to become to big to buy, especially if their venture into streaming goes well.  They're a much harder target for Apple to take with this expansion.

Disney's market cap is $167 billion and they just paid about $50 billion for the Fox assets. Apple's market cap is $884 billion and they have over $200 billion of cash just sitting there.

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I need some time to digest this. On one hand, most of Fox studios are staying untampered for now, it prevents Apple from buying Disney (now that’s a terrifying monopoly), it can possibly prevent superhero fatigue (which tbh is one of the only things keeping the theater’s alive now) and they would’ve sold either way but on the other hand thousands will lose jobs, Disney can continue being douches to theaters even more so now, possible less diversity and less films from Fox and who knows how long they want Searchlight.

On a side note does Disney wants Hulu as well as it’s own Netflix?

Yes they'll probably keep Hulu for more adult oriented content. I guess they own 60%?

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

You are telling me that the Oscars have the same relevance in 2017 as they did in 1997 or 2007?

I thought so. 

Only one film among the Best Picture nominees in 2007 made $100M+ while the others made between $40M to $74M (and that was the Best Picture winner), the on average range of the last few Oscar ceremonies. So yeah, you still fail.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Germany also has created an EU market that works in the favour of it at the expense of the poorer countries? 

Germany didn't create a EU market, it's a collective decision from 6 countries at a time when Germany was weakened and did not have the ability to force it to anyone. Stop spewing bullshit about my continent please.

Edited by Fullbuster

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Disney's market cap is $167 billion and they just paid about $50 billion for the Fox assets. Apple's market cap is $884 billion and they have over $200 billion of cash just sitting there.

From what I understand Iger doesn't want to sell, and this purchase isn't accounting for potential growth that'll happen within the next few years due to Disney's expansions into streaming and such.

Yes, Apple can still buy Disney, but Disney seems to be moving more towards trying to be a major player in media distribution than being a bought out player.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Exactly. When you start talking about Apple, Amazon and Google....they could buy them all. That's how much the market is changing.

That's why you really can't compare this to other buyouts because this is entertainment, and it's constantly changing and evolving. Just look at where it is now compared to a few years ago.

So yeah, Disney could lie and Fox Searchlight could go under but some new development could happen in that time being that moved those films to another platform. We have no idea what this landscape is going to look like in only a few years.

That's why I choose to remain optimistic about this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

A smart studio (which Disney and Iger are) aren't going to spend 60b on a deal and not intend to use it.

Fox studio is a really small section of that 60b deal too. But yeah I feel Searchlight stay open even maybe more well funded to feed the streaming platform, the Fox studio doing Cure for Wellness type of movies and release them on 3000 screen ? Less sure.

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

You are telling me that the Oscars have the same relevance in 2017 as they did in 1997 or 2007?

I thought so. 

There is a bit of a reverse way to look at it I find, Oscar going to already popular movies are close to 100% irrelevant no ? Oscar making possible movie that would not exist otherwise become relevant at least in no superficial ways.

• Like 1