FlashMaster659

Monday #s - TLJ 21.6M

16 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

That's uncalled for.  

I can't say anything since I called someone else out as stupid for ignoring things today but it does seem to be a chief problem among those who have an angle to protect (and this goes regardless of the film ala, certain posters in regards to JL or one in particular about WBs or those who are declaring Jedi a type of failure.) 

Obviously anecdotal, but I have a couple of weeks off of work over Christmas and up to New Years which just started today. So I was working through the first few days of this week, but I would've already been off if the calendar setup was the same as it was in 2015.

I imagine it's a somewhat similar situation for a lot of people in nations that celebrate Christmas (which tends to line up with nations that really like Star Wars).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I can't say anything since I called someone else out as stupid for ignoring things today but it does seem to be a chief problem among those who have an angle to protect (and this goes regardless of the film ala, certain posters in regards to JL or one in particular about WBs or those who are declaring Jedi a type of failure.) 

Most people in this thread (and on these forums in particular) vehemently protect the "Star Wars is doing really well!" angle. It's no different.

2 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Most people in this thread (and on these forums in particular) vehemently protect the "Star Wars is doing really well!" angle. It's no different.

Only because it is :hahaha:and this is a box office thread where "ideally" we deal with data but whatever, data is nothing to the fool who refuses to see it or use it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Only because it is :hahaha:and this is a box office thread where "ideally" we deal with data but whatever, data is nothing to the fool who refuses to see it or use it. 

It's all a bit silly. Like, it's still one of the ten biggest Monday's of all time. And it's not even a holiday.

Painting it as a bad number is... yeah.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Maybe it’s just me but between the user trolling and denial of said trolling and lack of understanding of the calendar... it has made it less fun following things. 

The lack of understanding about the calendar had definitely fanned some flames. I feel like an old grouch these days trying to reason about the calendar (as we do every Holiday). 

I think 100% of the board would say Star Wars is doing really well as compared to an objective blockbuster standard:)...

And I think the board would split 50/50 on whether Star Wars is doing really well based on their personal "Star Wars franchise box office" expectations...

It is reminiscent of JL in reverse...100% of the board would have said JL was doing poorly based on their personal "DC comics franchise box office" expectations...

And the board would probably split 50/50 on whether it was a catastrophic failure or a mild disappointment as compared to an objective blockbuster standard:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

The lack of understanding about the calendar had definitely fanned some flames. I feel like an old grouch these days trying to reason about the calendar (as we do every Holiday). 

I admit I felt better about things seeing past data too and it made a lot more sense. Heck I was bummed Rogue One didn’t have a better Monday and in the end it made a 3.43 multiple which was great! 

Was feeling nostalgic and looking back through TFA threads from December '15. The 1st Monday thread (40 million!) had about 70 pages. Obviously it was unreasonable to ever expect TLJ's run to be as exciting as TFA, but I can't help but miss all of that excitement. Hopefully solid Tuesday numbers and beyond can restore some buzz. 

20 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Not sure about protecting it. The Star Wars franchise is locked for yet another $680+ million gross at the domestic box office. The numbers speak for themselves. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, narniadis said:

How similar are they, what about the biggest western market that isn't America, are their kids still in school?

Edited by IronJimbo

21 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Very irritating today. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Can't speak for other countries or even other towns in America, but the 21st seems to be the magic day when things kick off in my neck of the woods. Kids get out of school for holidays at mid-day on Thursday the 21st this year. In 2015, the 21st was TFA's first Monday. 

Think the same where I am at. I was actually surprised Monday when I drove through  town and saw that schools were still in, I figured Friday was the last day.

TLJ has a fine Monday. Going by the way 2006 played out with it's 3 new openers on the 15th, the better holds will happen later. I would  say starting Wednesday but how big discount Tuesday is vs 2006 could throw a slight wrench in that.  But next week, TLJ should be posting increases over this week, thus huge numbers.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2006-12-20&track=pursuitofhappyness.htm

The new openers from Friday 15th were Eragon, Charlotte's Web, and Pursuit of Happyness.  Things have changed since 2006 but there are some trends we can still use now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

Is there a reason the biggest Avatar fans tend to be incredibly dense?

Don’t worry, Jimbo will magically understand how sequel movies normally and understandably drop after huge part ones, in a few years when (if ever?) Papyrus 2 comes out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FTF said:

Don’t worry, Jimbo will magically understand how sequel movies normally and understandably drop after huge part ones, in a few years when (if ever?) Papyrus 2 comes out.

Friday the 18th of December 2020.

• Like 1