FlashMaster659

Monday #s - TLJ 21.6M

14 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think it increases 10% or more today. But flat would still be very good too. Everything it makes right now is icing on the cake, especially with some nice holiday boost next week. 

but it needs to start from a higher base or all the grosses next week won't be as good as expected. 

19 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I see what you guys are saying but we live in an all or nothing world here on the internet....   there's a lot of people who think "greatest thing ever!"  or "worst piece of shit I've seen!"  with little room for in between.   

So you might think that the 10s are legit maybe those people really thought this was the greatest thing ever but the 1s might also be legitimate.  If someone hated it,  they might give it a 1 because "they ruined my childhood!  fuck you Rian Johnson!"  

FWIW,  if I had to grade TLJ  I'd probably give it a 7/10.  I liked it quite a bit.    I don't give many movies 10s.  Maybe Goodfellas. Or Terminator 2.

After my first viewing I had it at an 8/10. After the second I got it up to about 8.3/10 now. 

• Like 1

Alright I just need to bring up the fact that I made my uncle watch The Room this past weekend when they were over at our place, cause he wants to see Disaster Artist but had never heard of The Room beforehand.

Say what you will about his parenting, but he let his eight year old son watch it with him (not sure how much he watched I was only around for the last fifteen minutes or so). Who, I might add, was actually very upset when Johnny died.

Meanwhile me: :hahaha:

33 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

but it needs to start from a higher base or all the grosses next week won't be as good as expected. 

Already starting from a pretty good base. Rogue One's second Monday was 82% higher than first Monday. If something similar happens this year, Last Jedi would end up around $39m on Christmas Monday next week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, looking at it as 400 people total surveyed on an opening night in just 5 locations (at least that's what I got out of the Deadline piece - correct me if I screwed that up)...it's not exactly a huge sample size for a survey...and who knows if you say "I don't wanna answer" or if you just duck out of the screening, how you get counted...I mean, most surveys have a "margin of error" for those type of events, but letter grade ones don't really seem to work for that...

http://deadline.com/2014/08/b-grade-for-turtles-what-cinemascores-mean-and-why-exit-polling-matters-816538/

Those pollsters randomly choose five theaters in five cities  (they are in 35 cities every weekend)

That was in 2014 and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do more for huge openers.

Since they do it on opening night it will be biased towards higher scores.  But that makes sense.  If you can't get an 'A' from the fan base you created the movie for then your movie might be in trouble.  That's why getting below an 'A' Cineascore is not good.

They have a chart showing 10 years of CinemaScores and the average movie multipliers.  Based on that chart there does seem a decent correlation between the CinemaScores and have the movie does.

ComScore is even better since they track pre-opening, and the 1st 2 weeks.

As with any statistical system there will be plenty of exceptions both ways which means Cinemascore and Comscore should only be used as guidance and not absolute fact.

• Like 3

Just now, BoxOfficeZ said:

TBH with Star Wars I never expected WB to get that close to top studio, but IT and WW really helped. 

Despite some underperformers like JL, it's been a fantastic year for WB. I don't think they expected IT and Wonder Woman to do so well. 

22 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

TBH with Star Wars I never expected WB to get that close to top studio, but IT and WW really helped. 

WB released 17 movies. Disney with 7.  If Anything, they should have been much closer to taking the top spot. Now it'll be a 400m difference. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's a massive drop from TFA's $42m down to $22m.

Obviously there must be some reason, perhaps a global k-12 crisis?

There’s a huge difference when only 30% of schools are off.

11 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

There’s a huge difference when only 30% of schools are off.

Oh so this is a global k-12 crisis, was TFA's 1st international monday on a holiday or something? I mean dropping from $42m (TFA Int 1st Mon) to $22m (TLJ Int 1st Mon) is pretty huge.

Edited by IronJimbo

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Oh so this is a global k-12 crisis, was TFA's 1st international monday on a holiday or something? I mean dropping from $42m (TFA Int 1st Mon) to $22m (TLJ Int 1st Mon) is pretty huge.

Can't speak for other countries or even other towns in America, but the 21st seems to be the magic day when things kick off in my neck of the woods. Kids get out of school for holidays at mid-day on Thursday the 21st this year. In 2015, the 21st was TFA's first Monday. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Is there a reason the biggest Avatar fans tend to be incredibly dense?

• Like 3