FlashMaster659

Monday #s - TLJ 21.6M

7 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

You fail to see the point that both sides have trolls, and that means bots ( if they really exist ) are from both sides. It goes both ways.

BVS was already at 9.1 during the day of its release. That means people were giving tons of 10, and obviously the movie is not a 10/10 movie. This happens to every movie. Then the score dropped a lot after the movie got released.

It's not a big deal. You can't be biased. I didn't love the movie, so I won't pretend that everyone who loved it, is a bot. The same case applies to those who loved it. Just because people hated it ( there are people who hated ), that doesn't mean they're trolls or bots.

By the way, the average critic score on RT is 8.2/10, which is far away from the 31.000 10 grades this movie got on imdb, lol. 

I am fully aware that people may over inflate a movie purposefully. Still by all measures a movie of the quality of TLJ is far closer to 10 then it is to 1. Even if you dont like it or dont like the direction it took. I can see you giving it a 5. No way it should be a 1. 1s are for complete disasters. Things that should never ever be released to theaters. And I mean Trolls, not bots. Trolls from the classic sense of the word. People trying to create arguments. 

7 minutes ago, KeithF1138 said:

I am fully aware that people may over inflate a movie purposefully. Still by all measures a movie of the quality of TLJ is far closer to 10 then it is to 1. 

Well, there are people giving it a 4, 5 grades too...

I gave it a 6/10, but I think it could be 6,5/10 

39 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Ruh-Roh, that $21m is ominously low ... maybe the weekend was front-loaded because people wanted to get Star Wars out of the way so they could see Jumanji and Father Figures this week? 

Welcome back

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Well, there are people giving it a 4, 5 grades too...

I gave it a 6/10, but I think it could be 6,5/10 

So you arent trying to over influence the number. My point exactly. A 1 will over influence more then a 10 will because even the worst of the real reviews are like 2/4 stars.

44 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I think that is a bit misleading.  3D stuck around so long this time because of it being artificially propped up by the studios, RealD and theater owners trying to recover investment.  

If tomorrow theater owners had no pressure to play 3D, then I think it was fall to complete niche almost instantly.  

Yep.  3D shows are now the last to fill up or sell-out and it's not just the ticket price since other PLF screens can cost more and sell better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Well he seems to believe HDR is the future, he's raised the technological bar before he can do it again.

Anyone here catch Titanic 20th anniversary re-release? It was in this new HDR format... didn't get the re-relase here in the UK

For HDR you need new equipment. Those few Dolby theaters seem to have the ability but not many will do a costly upgrade to that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

For HDR you need new equipment. Those few Dolby theaters seem to have the ability but not many will do a costly upgrade to that.

Yes, I would like to see Dolby work with other theater companies. AMC is big, but they don't have anywhere near a monopoly in terms of covering the population. Regal and Cinemark have much better coverage in my area and I think it would be cool if Dolby would get some Dolby Vision screens into Regal/Cinemark auditoriums across the country.

Anyone else think TLJ could jump as high as 14.5% today like CHARLOTTE'S WEB did in 2006? Looking back at the other openers on December 15 that year, THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS stayed pretty much flat (-0.7%) and ERAGON fell 3.4% after falling a huge 68.8% on Monday. The former's target audience was adults and the latter was a complete turd. You take a 4-quadrant movie that's received well and I think there's potential for a decent jump, rather than a flat gross.

• Like 1

Just now, JB33 said:

Anyone else think TLJ could jump as high as 14.5% today like CHARLOTTE'S WEB did in 2006? Looking back at the other openers on December 15 that year, THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS stayed pretty much flat (-0.7%) and ERAGON fell 3.4% after falling a huge 68.8% on Monday. The former's target audience was adults and the latter was a complete turd. You take a 4-quadrant movie that's received well and I think there's potential for a decent jump, rather than a flat gross.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  R1 fell 0.1% last year on its first Tuesday (TFA is a rather useless comparison due to Monday spillover and calendar placement).

Yes, this is earlier in the calendar for vacations.  And, yes, Discount Tuesdays are even bigger than last year (and they were big then).  We're still talking about a 20m+ movie in December.  I think that just makes for a volatile situation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

People seriously buying this "bots"  stuff?  It's not bots.  I like TLJ quite a bit but I've seen PLENTY of criticisms around the net. Don't do this. There are a lot of people who didn't like it as much as we did.  

Have you actually checked out the Rotten Tomato reviews?

I have. When I see the exact same review repeated a few times and I see the same user name/avatar give slightly different reviews, I KNOW there are attempts to game the system going on.

This isn't rocket science here.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

People seriously buying this "bots"  stuff?  It's not bots.  I like TLJ quite a bit but I've seen PLENTY of criticisms around the net. Don't do this. There are a lot of people who didn't like it as much as we did.  

Screenshot-2017-12-17-16.49.35.jpg&key=6

I'm sure it was humans who wrote those negative reviews for The Shape of Water.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  R1 fell 0.1% last year on its first Tuesday (TFA is a rather useless comparison due to Monday spillover and calendar placement).

Yes, this is earlier in the calendar for vacations.  And, yes, Discount Tuesdays are even bigger than last year (and they were big then).  We're still talking about a 20m+ movie in December.  I think that just makes for a volatile situation.

I agree about the calendar. That's why I used Charlotte's Web in 2006 as a comparison.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Maybe...I'd be a little worried about it losing ground to Coco in the Movietickets.com share from Monday (I mean, it obviously should lose ground to openers, but Coco is up a full 1% today while Star Wars is done 10%, so they aren't moving equally)...

In TLJ's favor is my discount theater went back to its weekend set today, so TLJ gets 20 shows again, and will go back to its Monday (and forever set) of shows again Wednesday...if other theaters reupped showings, that will obviously be a big help...

Edited by TwoMisfits

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I agree about the calendar. That's why I used Charlotte's Web in 2006 as a comparison.

One of the biggest things to remember about 2006 is that it was pre-cheap Tuesdays (something that we only started to see in small bits in 2008 or so) and some chains forgo the cheap Tuesdays on the last two weeks of the year - or at least they did last year.

2006 is good for checking generalities but 11 years is a huge difference in box office speak - there isn't really a film in the whole 2006 release calendar that doesn't give TLJ some outlandish numbers if it were to follow them.

All that being said, I think it stays relatively flat but don't really see a swing higher than say 5%. Wednesday and Thursday will be more interesting IMO due to the new films opening and shuffling screens / showtimes again. I would normally say that it would increase both Wed/Thursday but that is not nearly as likely this time around (though not impossible.)

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Screenshot-2017-12-17-16.49.35.jpg&key=6

I'm sure it was humans who wrote those negative reviews for The Shape of Water.

I can just as easily post dozens and dozens of YouTube videos featuring real people who are not happy with the movie. It's not 100% bots and it's not 100% humans posting the negative reviews on RT.

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Have you actually checked out the Rotten Tomato reviews?

I have. When I see the exact same review repeated a few times and I see the same user name/avatar give slightly different reviews, I KNOW there are attempts to game the system going on.

This isn't rocket science here.

How many are also voting 5/5?   Plenty.  

• Like 1