grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The kid pricing is $10.50/ticket and up...adults are $13.50 and up:)...

Each theater differs. The theaters near me have kids tickets around $8.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Any blockbuster type film from the 70's is going to have an element of dated to it. Hell, that's when the blockbuster originated, so of course things have changed a lot. However, there is no other blockbuster type of movie from that time frame that holds up as well as the OT and it is because they are very well made for their genre and many of the concepts are appealing to kids by any decade's standards. Kids will watch the OT, even in spite of how dated aspects of it are. Try getting kids to watch other films from that time frame, even animated ones. 

I watched those movies after I saw phantom menace in the theater as an 11 year old. Sat through them and didn’t even need a pee break. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

What it says is that SW is the DOM franchise king with kids of each generation since the OT. You were arguing it wasn't. 

But that is not exactly true. I might be wrong, but didn't the OW breakdown for TLJ reveal quite a low number of young viewers? The numbers are so huge because of the 4 quad appeal, but SW viewers tend to be older than other franchises like Marvel. 

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's not bad just because it didn't fulfill your fan theories.

Lol, I'm not even a fan of the franchise. I enjoyed it as a parody, but I understand why fans hate it. When twists in the movie are so dumb that they make more than half of the movie completely pointless and when pay-offs to big setups of the previous movie are spit in the face and laughably bad - it's nothing less, than a bad screenwriting. It would say that about 80% of TLJ is a bad screenwriting, on the level of "what mistakes amateures make when they write the script".

Edited by Firepower

39 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

And again... after it's all said and done, we're all going to just go back to the original trilogy and solely acknowledge that. Those three films will be what we pass down to our kids (and grand kids) and not these Disney-era films. Not a slight against the latter but they will be lost to the conversation just like the fan outrage over the prequels.

I’m pretty much “original trilogy or bust” at this point. The new characters are simply not as interesting to watch. It’s sort of like Phase 1 of MCU. I have lost a ton of interest in the later MCU movies after Avengers. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Lol, I'm not even a fan of the franchise. I enjoyed it as a parody, but I understand why fans hate it. When twists in the movie are so dumb that they make more than half of the movie completely pointless and when pay-offs to big setups of the previous movie are spit in the face and laughalb - it's nothing less, than a bad screenwriting.

Like I said. It's not bad because of any of the things you said.

Yikes.... I may have to check out the rest of the weekend lol - yall are taking this a bit to seriously....

And I recognize this as coming from someone who took the "wait and see it follow the 2006 pattern" that hasn't really happened yet.... I never have understood fanyboying for anything.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, James said:

But that is not exactly true. I might be wrong, but didn't the OW breakdown for TLJ reveal quite a low number of young viewers? The numbers are so huge because of the 4 quad appeal, but SW viewers tend to be older than other franchises like Marvel. 

The opening day breakdown was only 38% under 25, but that is when the fanboys rush out. I'm sure the ratio of kids was much higher post OD.  That said, I could buy the sequel trilogy having less appeal to kids than the OT or PT, since both of those were made specifically with children in mind, whereas this trilogy has been made specifically with the established fanbase in mind. TLJ in particular seems to have the least kid appeal of any Episode to date. I can see a lot of kids not being all that into it. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's not taking risks, it's called bad script and bad storytelling, it's that simple.

Lol.

There are pacing issues but it's not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination.

It's hyperbole to call TLJ a bad film.

Even most fanboys probably agree it's better than the prequels and it's average at worst.

The IGN comment section is bashing TLJ relentlessly but did a recent poll where TLJ ranks around 5th out of 9 SW films.

Everwhere I look on the internet has a similar ranking.

The general consensus is:

1) OT

2) Disney SW

3) prequels

TLJ included.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I’m pretty much “original trilogy” or bust at this point. The new characters are simply not as interesting to watch. It’s sort of like Phase 1 of MCU. I have lost a ton of interest in the later MCU movies after Avengers. 

I find that very interesting. It may be because im younger, but while im neutral on Finn and Poe, i adore Rey to the point of having a crush. While i like the OT characters all fine (except for Yoda, Yoda fucking rules), they were not that special to me. I guess its because SW wasnt a franchise of my younger childhood, that were Harry Potter and LOTR.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

There are pacing issues but it's not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination.

Lol, it's not about pacing. When twists in the movie are so dumb that they make more than half of the movie completely pointless and when pay-offs to big setups of the previous movie are spit in the face and laughably bad - it's nothing less, than a bad screenwriting. It would say that about 80% of TLJ is a bad screenwriting, on the level of "what mistakes amateures make when they write the script". And I would say any modern SW movie is much better than prequel trilogy after rewatching it recently, but it doesn't say much.

Edited by Firepower

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Any blockbuster type film from the 70's is going to have an element of dated to it. Hell, that's when the blockbuster originated, so of course things have changed a lot. However, there is no other blockbuster type of movie from that time frame that holds up as well as the OT and it is because they are very well made for their genre and many of the concepts are appealing to kids by any decade's standards. Kids will watch the OT, even in spite of how dated aspects of it are. Try getting kids to watch other films from that time frame, even animated ones. 

it can be pretty difficult to get most millennials to watch a film made before 1980.

• Like 1