grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

No, it's not ironic, and yes, I like TLJ more than Avatar, so I wanted it to do more than Avatar.

That is fine, just letting you know justice is corrupt in your ideal world. The mouse probaly rules with an iron glove, slapping those who dare question his authority.

Edited by IronJimbo

19 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It deserves more than that, dammit! It should be higher than Avatar in a world where justice prevails :ph34r:

Other movies have to fight for the spot at the top. As for Star Wars, put a bunch of old actors in a half decent movie and call it a day. Don't you talk to me about justice... ;)

Edited by Elessar
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That is fine, just letting you know justice is corrupt in your ideal world. The mouse probaly rules with an iron glove, slapping those who dare question his authority.

....not at all. In my ideal world, it's MY justice that rules, and my justice rules that the best movies would rule the box office. Does that mean that TLJ would be in the top 100 of all time? No, most likely it wouldn't. But it would be higher than Avatar, that's for sure. It would also mean that David Fincher's Se7en would be the highest grossing film of all time and nothing would ever come close :ph34r:

And for the record, just from this year alone, the likes of BATB, Pirates 5 and Cars 3 probably wouldn't even make the top 500, so that idea that Disney would rule by fascism is almost extremist in its hate.

@Elessar The audiences are the ones who have decided that the same movies always end up fighting for the top spot, so you might as well have the better ones claim it. TLJ is one of the better ones, so it should claim it by that definition :) And, as someone who enjoyed TLJ, I don't need old actors in a half decent movie to get fan service and feel "vindicated" for TLJ, thank you :).... although most people would need that, I guess.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

To be fair if all Star Wars fans were as looney as me no other franchise would ever have any chance whatsoever. For the primary reason that Star Wars movies wouldn’t ever leave theaters as even 20 weeks of capacity wouldn’t meet demand. Just 1 million fans seeing each movie 50 times would be $500M and the general audience would add another $500M. At that gross level the movies would play longer and thus increase the count from 50 to 52, 55, etc. and the films would never leave theaters. In fact multiplexes would be forced to expand just to play each SW movie indefinitely. 

On a serious note if I ran Lucasfilm or Disney there would be a Los Angeles / Disney theater that constantly played nothing but Star Wars movies, call it the undying flame, and no SW movie would ever really be out of theaters entirely. With the fan base the movies have it wouldn’t be any problem to see that theater always doing good business as it would be a mecha for fans. With Star Wars Land or whatever it’s called, that would be a nice addition. True IMAX theater that rotates SW movies maybe daily or weekly whatever makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Here's a decent place to start (SPOILERS IN THIS ARTICLE OBVIOUSLY):

https://www.thewrap.com/10-plot-threads-force-awakens-set-last-jedi-blew-off/

That article is silly in many ways. Come on C3PO red arm and Phasma for instance. Did the original trilogy ever explain C3PO silver leg. What about Boba Fett back story? I could go into others, but spoilers. I will say this some of those were TFA responsibility and some have EP9 still left to explain. Others are either taken care of already or dont matter. Especially 1 which was answered and TFA told us the answer along with JJ Abrams in April 2016.

2 hours ago, estebanJ said:

Two things seem clear:

1) Star Wars fatigue has finally set in - one movie a year for three straight years? It's amazing the box office has been as awesome as it has been up until right now. Disney should postpone Solo.

2) The lousy word of mouth rating on RT wasn't just organized hating and trolling. Whether there was some of that or not, a lot of it was real.

Disney needs to go back to one Star Wars film every 3 years, 2 at the most. FATIGUE. 

@SteveJaros non Union Mexican equivalent?  

Okay let's all take a deep breath and come back from La La Land because there is no Star Wars fatigue. If there was Star Wars fatigue it would not have opened at 220 million. It has nothing to do with fatigue it's just that the word of mouth after the opening weekend hasn't been superb so people are going to stay away a little bit. It happened with attack of the Clones and then of course when Revenge of the Sith open it blew up again. So all of you Debbie downers out there could just cool your jets because there is no Star Wars fatigue.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Christmas baumer said:

Okay let's all take a deep breath and come back from La La Land because there is no Star Wars fatigue. If there was Star Wars fatigue it would not have opened at 220 million. It has nothing to do with fatigue it's just that the word of mouth after the opening weekend hasn't been superb so people are going to stay away a little bit. It happened with attack of the Clones and then of course when Revenge of the Sith open it blew up again. So all of you Debbie downers out there could just cool your jets because there is no Star Wars fatigue.

At least not for another 5 months. :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Agree. Some fans just settle for 3 views this time instead of 5 ect ect

So calm the fuck down people. Its the holidays. Time to be glad and enjoy life.

SW franchise is doing more than fine..

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Agree. Some fans just settle for 3 views this time instead of 5 ect ect

So calm the fuck down people. Its the holidays. Time to be glad and enjoy life.

SW franchise is doing more than fine..

yeah.. but it could be doing better though couldn't it.

Speaking of enjoying, I don't think TLJ will drop 50%+ today...I think it's still a higher-than-normal Sunday drop, but morning strength around me is probably gonna play out everywhere, and the drop in total showings for the day, while slightly bigger than a normal Sunday, doesn't seem like enough to make that kinda drop happen...

Yes, I know matinees are cheaper, so morning strength is not as valuable as evening strength, but TLJ also hasn't done well late night, so you lose the least filled shows anyway...

So, if the $29M holds, those looking for $70M (or a little more) this weekend might be really happy on Monday:) (IMHO, as always)...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If it was better received I think it could have done 750. I think it will make a push for 700. 

• Like 1

Me personally,

I don't want to see Han Solo, Yoda, Boba Fett, Jabba the Hutt, Obi Wan, etc. spin-off movies.

I don'r want to see a new Star Wars movie every year.

After this new trilogy, give it some rest, tree years at least, make some Indiana Jones movies instead. 

Any Star War film made will be being watched endlessly nonstop for decades, but with so many films that will likely stop. 

Are many films from 2005 still watched much today?

Maybe some HP fans watch Goblet of Fire and some people check out Narnia when on TV and Comic Books fans watch the start of the Nolan Trilogy. 

But Revenge of The Sith is still always on TV I noticed. 

Like the prequels came out once every 3 years and fans watched the films endlessly even though they were not the best. Now think its Star Wars overload right. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

700 mill is still out of this world.. This was never going to match TFA and the only reason why it did so much and had great legs was due to insane repeat viewings. Many went 5-10 times because they have waited years and years..

Now they settle around 3-5 maybe because the SW hunger is not as big this time around. This has nothing to do with WOM.

Its Avengers all over again

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fmpro said:

700 mill is still out of this world.. This was never going to match TFA and the only reason why it did so much and had great legs was due to insane repeat viewings. Many went 5-10 times because they have waited years and years..

Now they settle around 3-5 maybe because the SW hunger is not as big this time around. This has nothing to do with WOM.

Its Avengers all over again

Um I think this everything to do with WOM.