grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Disney, Lionsgate, WB (despite a shitty fall outside of IT) and Sony had great years this year. Universal and Fox were okay, meanwhile Paramount did awful.

Paramount has done awful for several years now.... 5.5 years since it's last 200m film that wasn't Star Trek or Transformers (and we both know how those two franchises are at the moment)

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-second-week-overseas-results-international-box-office-1202232602/

Hm...so it's doing better worldwide than domestic BO, right?

>Overall overseas, Jedi‘s crystal foxes are running about 32% below The Force Awakens at the same point of play, and about 40% above Rogue One.

Edited by mikee11

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

After 6 days:

Jumanji:
Welcome to the Jungle

Domestic Total as of Dec. 25, 2017: $72,005,967 (Estimate)

After one entire run:

Jumanji

Domestic Total Gross: $100,475,249

Let's see if does better than adjusted, which is 200M, I believe.

• Like 1

And to continue my point:

The real story here is not the DOM fall from TFA, but the OS one. I know that when you have a brand that can make so much money DOM it is easier to overlook OS returns, but even so, TLJ will lose about 45% of it's audience OS, despite generally better ER than in 2015. It will make a bit over 100m more than RO. And that is with countries that love SW having a better retention rate than DOM). But all the others (Asia, Latin America) had huge falls. I know Disney is afraid to change the formula too much, but the law of diminishing returns will eventually force their hand methinks. It is weird really, since they seem to do so well with their other properties in Asia/LA.  

• Like 2

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Has anyone on here done a winners and losers list for box office before on the site?

@cookie did some unfinished retrospectives on 2015 and 2016.

And I heard through the grapevine someone with a Daisy Ridley avatar is planning on doing one for 2017. :ph34r:

• Like 2

I think last monday was the day where it was clear this wasn't going to be the 800m run we all hoped it could be.

I kept asking how it went from 42m (tfa)  to 21m (tlj)... wow Jimbo you're an idiot look at the calender. Yeah I'm looking at the calender and still wondering how it dropped not 10m, but 20m.

Anyway whatever, maybe salty I got called an idiot for that post, it's been a week i'm over it.

What are we predicting for the final gross now? 640m is my prediction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

@cookie did some unfinished retrospectives on 2015 and 2016.

And I heard through the grapevine someone with a Daisy Ridley avatar is planning on doing one for 2017. :ph34r:

You’re doing one?

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Paramount has done awful for several years now.... 5.5 years since it's last 200m film that wasn't Star Trek or Transformers (and we both know how those two franchises are at the moment)

They are a takeover target for the likes of Disney or WB. Paramount has some very popular movies on home video like Godfather 1/2, Titanic, Ferris Bueller, Grease, etc. But their new product is garbage. 

2 minutes ago, James said:

And to continue my point:

The real story here is not the DOM fall from TFA, but the OS one. I know that when you have a brand that can make so much money DOM it is easier to overlook OS returns, but even so, TLJ will lose about 45% of it's audience OS, despite generally better ER than in 2015. It will make a bit over 100m more than RO. And that is with countries that love SW having a better retention rate than DOM). But all the others (Asia, Latin America) had huge falls. I know Disney is afraid to change the formula too much, but the law of diminishing returns will eventually force their hand methinks. It is weird really, since they seem to do so well with their other properties in Asia/LA.  

Asia did pretty much die from TFA, apart from Japan where Star Wars is a nostalgia franchise. TFA was supposed to be the big kick off to the Asian expansion for Star Wars, and the audience showed up to watch it but didn't return for this. In India alone, it lost two-thirds of the audience on OW and then fell like 90% on the second weekend.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I think last monday was the day where it was clear this wasn't going to be the 800m run we all hoped it could be.

I kept asking how it went from 42m (tfa)  to 21m (tlj)... wow Jimbo you're an idiot look at the calender. Yeah I'm looking at the calender and still wondering how it dropped not 10m, but 20m.

Anyway whatever, maybe salty I got called an idiot for that post, it's been a week i'm over it.

What are we predicting for the final gross now? 640m is my prediction.

This post would say you are anything but over it.

Also last Monday the Calendar did actually reflect the week - the rest of the week then fell apart and didn't behave like 2006. I mean you were the one blatantly ignoring the fact that the % of schools out (which did mess with the Monday drop / totals) was different from both Rouge 1 and TFA. Obviously it didn't play out like some of us (myself included) thought it might / could based on history but don't start revising things to make yourself look better lol.

5 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-second-week-overseas-results-international-box-office-1202232602/

Hm...so it's doing better worldwide than domestic BO, right?

>Overall overseas, Jedi‘s crystal foxes are running about 32% below The Force Awakens at the same point of play, and about 40% above Rogue One.

Not really. The only reason the drop is not sharper is that at this point in it's run TFA hadn't opened in China. Same with TLJ. TFA did 124m in China. TLJ will likely make around 24m... When all is said and done, the drop will be way worse OS than DOM. 

• Like 2