grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 minute ago, LinksterAC said:

One thing I will say to the credit of TLJ, and one of the reasons I think WOM is not bad, is that it will obliterate the adjusted first run total of AOTC.

Now THAT was a bad film.

How on earth would it have not obliterated AOTC, under any circumstance?  TFA obliterated TPM adjusted too. 

I know that expectations were at an all time high for TLJ, but this movie will end with $625+ million and I'm getting the feeling that several people are very disappointed with this number. Apparently entering top 5 of all time domestically (even top 6) was just not enough.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

If Phantom Thread gets nominated for BP (I think it will), all bets are off as to how much it could make. I can't see this being another CMBYN that fades as it expands, and the film is said to be PTA's most accessible movie yet. It'll challenge There Will Be Blood as his highest grossing movie IMO.

I think it could make around $39m (I expect it to a collapse a bit in expansion, but it should do good), around TWBB and more then The Master or Inherent Vice. The potential best picture nomination should definitely help.

Just now, VGPOP said:

I know that expectations were at an all time high for TLJ, but this movie will end with $625+ million and I'm getting the feeling that several people are very disappointed with this number. Apparently entering top 5 of all time domestically (even top 6) was just not enough.

After 220 opening and with a big time holiday boost, a lot of us expected a much higher total. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

How on earth would it have not obliterated AOTC, under any circumstance?  TFA obliterated TPM adjusted too. 

It makes one wonder how AOTC was as low as it was.  Granted, TPM was not as well received as TFA, but TLJ will eclipse AOTC adjusted by 200mil.

2 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

Yeah, my pre-release expectation was around 700m if all went well with an outside chance of Avatar but then that crazy 220m OW came and it just turns everything after into bland follow-up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LinksterAC said:

It makes one wonder how AOTC was as low as it was.  Granted, TPM was not as well received as TFA, but TLJ will eclipse AOTC adjusted by 200mil.

On top of being a fairly bad movie, AOTC had to contend with a cultural phenomenon the likes of which hadn't hit since TPM. Spider-man just sucked all the air out of Clone's sails (figuratively).

8 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

At least TPM came after a long wait. Irrespective of quality TPM gave folks an opportunity to once again visit the aesthetics and characters of SW - the architecture on different planets, light sabers, jedis, Yoda, music/sound effects unique to SW, etc after a long long time. AOTC offered zilch to the viewers. Was just a pile of hot steaming putrid trash. Not surprised at it's "only" 310 odd dom at all.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

TFA eclipses TPM by over 200m adjusted too, so again it's not that big of an achievement for TLJ to be beating AOTC by that much.

And yes, I definitely think AOTC's run felt a blowback from TPM's reception. That's what's concerning for IX if the TLJ reception is indeed very mixed. Though conversely, AOTC was received arguably just as poorly, and ROTS still increased. But there was a huge hook for that movie too. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I do wonder just how big ROTS could have been though if not for the double whammy of TPM and AOTC's reception among most fans? The birth of Darth Vader and essentially being marketed at the time as the last Star Wars film ever were such massive hooks that if the prequels had built goodwill prior it's run may have been TFA levels of crazy. 

22 minutes ago, narniadis said:

On top of being a fairly bad movie, AOTC had to contend with a cultural phenomenon the likes of which hadn't hit since TPM. Spider-man just sucked all the air out of Clone's sails (figuratively).

It's kinda interesting too, since Clones was two weeks after Spider-Man, and was practically obliterated by it in terms of box office total. I remember Clones being fairly big, but Spider-Man was just a frigging phenomenon. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

It's kinda interesting too, since Clones was two weeks after Spider-Man, and was practically obliterated by in terms of box office total. I remember Clones being fairly big, but Spider-Man was just a frigging phenomenon.

The first Spider-man adjusts to 630m DOM today, so yeah it was freaking massive.

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I do wonder just how big ROTS could have been though if not for the double whammy of TPM and AOTC's reception among most fans? The birth of Darth Vader and essentially being marketed at the time as the last Star Wars film ever were such massive hooks that if the prequels had built goodwill prior it's run may have been TFA levels of crazy. 

Vader pulled me in. Skipped 1&2 in theaters but showed up opening day for Sith. I don’t think Episode 9 has the same compelling sales pitch like ROTJ or Sith. 

• Like 1