Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Dec 26): TLJ 27.7, Jumanji: 17.1, PP3 7.4, TGS 5.1 (actuals/estimates)

3 hours ago, Christmas baumer said:

can't believe some people are actually having a hard time understanding this star wars stuff. 

Yes the final gross is going to be excellent no matter what it is. Yes many of us had it finishing at around 700 million. And that's probably where it's going to land. But that's not the issue. The issue here is that it opened at 220 and is in Jeopardy of having less than three multiplier. That is unheard of in the month of December for a Christmas release. That's what people are focusing on, not the total.

Right.  OW is a testament to the interest and how well the marketing team did its job.

Every day after that tells us about the film itself and how audiences are responding to it.  

If this was just about IX, it really wouldn't be that interesting, since Disney already made the move they probably would have considered anyway if they were in any way worried -- rehiring Abrams.

But the fact that they just hired Johnson to direct a new trilogy (and gave him carte blanche to come up with the story) makes how audiences react (positively or negatively) to what he did extremely interesting.  Do they stay the course or not?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Here's a quote from Sir Ridley that applies very much to the box office: http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/ridley-scott-all-the-money-in-the-world-reshoots.html

Also lol'd at this:

He brings up good points in the entire interview. Apparently Fox also tried getting him for Bohemian Rhapsody after Singer got fired :lol: 

He definitely comes off as quite arrogant in that interview.  Especially since the people he was criticizing (Villeneuve and Kennedy) have been making better movies than he has this last decade.

5 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

He definitely comes off as quite arrogant in that interview.  Especially since the people he was criticizing (Villeneuve and Kennedy) have been making better movies than he has this last decade.

He is just mad the best Alien movie was directed by James Cameron

25 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Ridley is in his give no fucks stage of life.  I mean, you can’t pretend like he hasn’t done it.  Yeah, he’s arrogant, but I enjoy I cause a lot of the time, he’s still right.

Granted, I don’t think BR 2049 was too long, but from a commercial point of view there’s an argument.  Even that he’s not entirely wrong, and he isn’t even really blaming Villenueve there.

Guess my point, Sir Ridley, you’ve earned your arrogance!  Carry on good sir!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Scott made Alien and Blade Runner.  That’s a lifetime pass right there.

Imo, his last great movie was Gladiator, and before that only Blade Runner and Alien.  I'd accept his arrogance if it were right after Gladiator or prior (given how great it, Blade Runner and Alien are), after seeing what he's done since?  Not so much.

Just now, The Last Panda said:

Imo, his last great movie was Gladiator, and before that only Blade Runner and Alien.  I'd accept his arrogance if it were right after Gladiator or prior (given how great it, Blade Runner and Alien are), after seeing what he's done since?  Not so much.

He directed Martian didn't he? that was a great film I thought.

3 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Thought Martian was really good.

I think Ridley Scott is one of the greatest directors of all time primarily because if I’m giving movies ratings out of 100, a tiny handful would ever be 100/100 and he has three: Alien, Gladiator, and Blade Runner. Three of my top movies. 

One of my producers said he was excited to meet Ridley at an industry event and that he was an extremely arrogant douchebag. I’m bummed to hear that. Not that it affects my love of his work but I guess it’s always lame to hear an idol is kind of a dick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

I think Ridley Scott is one of the greatest directors of all time primarily because if I’m giving movies ratings out of 100, a tiny handful would ever be 100/100 and he has three: Alien, Gladiator, and Blade Runner. Three of my top movies. 

One of my producers said he was excited to meet Ridley at an industry event and that he was an extremely arrogant douchebag. I’m bummed to hear that. Not that it affects my love of his work but I guess it’s always lame to hear an idol is kind of a dick.

When I met the Rock I thought he would be a dick but he was one of the nicest people I have ever met.

7 hours ago, a2knet said:

532 -------------- 650 ------------------------------ 937

118                                       287

The reason why 650 odd looks disappointing is that folks didn't think it would be this much closer to RO compared to TFA

Even if the final dom comes in higher at 680, the gap from RO and TFA will be 148 vs 257, so the point stays the same.

edit: btw I roughly counted the '-' to make sure the lengths are in proportion with the numbers. :)

r/dataisbeautiful