Rthmessiah

Wednesday Numbers(27/12/17):TLJ $22m

28 minutes ago, hw64 said:

It's far easier to perform well in a single market than it is to basically max out in every single market you release in. Titanic's overseas gross represents exactly that - a huge performance in pretty much every single overseas market it was released in. The only movie to even come close to such consistency huge performances across every market is Avatar. The fact that F7 can near-reach Titanic's original overseas gross despite being basically completely incomparable to it in a vast majority of markets is testament to the kind of growth that overseas has seen over the past 20 years. The fact that Avatar, despite being a shade less successful than Titanic in most overseas markets, could make $2b overseas while Titanic could only make $1.2b, is more proof.

I'm not disputing that OS markets have grown, they have. I simply think that it hasn't been to quite the extent that some believe and that we shall never reach a point where studios look at OS prospects before NA when greenlighting a movie (generally speaking that is, it can happen on a case by case basis). People get way too carried away with this stuff (remember when China was supposed to surpass DOM in 2017?). TPM was the top grossing movie in 1999 (by far) with 45%+ of its gross coming from NA. TFA was the top grossing movie in 2015 (by far) with 45%+ of its gross coming from NA. I have yet to read a convincing reason for why this would be different in 2030 or 40.

2 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

Personally, i think the drop for TLJ is being a bit overblown, I have a feeling when JW 2 really underperforms we will look back and laugh at this drop.

It depends on what you're looking at, I doubt JW2 is going to drop as much as TLJ on the worldwide scale.

58 minutes ago, hw64 said:

It's far easier to perform well in a single market than it is to basically max out in every single market you release in. Titanic's overseas gross represents exactly that - a huge performance in pretty much every single overseas market it was released in. The only movie to even come close to such consistency huge performances across every market is Avatar. The fact that F7 can near-reach Titanic's original overseas gross despite being basically completely incomparable to it in a vast majority of markets is testament to the kind of growth that overseas has seen over the past 20 years. The fact that Avatar, despite being a shade less successful than Titanic in most overseas markets, could make $2b overseas while Titanic could only make $1.2b, is more proof.

Great post! The fact that Titanic made 1.2B in 1997 and films still hardly even get close to that number is not because overseas haven't grown that much, it is because Titanic has perhaps the greatest global theatrical run of all time. It's so great that in 2017, even the biggest film OS still could not get close to that, Avatar did more than $2B in 2009 is a testament to its own strength but its performance in most countries are actually not as good as Titanic (Domestic is one example, China and most European countries as well), $2B OS in 2009 is less impressive than $1.2B in 1997. 

Titanic and Avatar worldwide and overseas performance >>>>>>>>>>> everything else in recent decades.

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Great post! The fact that Titanic made 1.2B in 1997 and films still hardly even get close to that number is not because overseas haven't grown that much, it is because Titanic has perhaps the greatest global theatrical run of all time. It's so great that in 2017, even the biggest film OS still could not get close to that, Avatar did more than $2B in 2009 is a testament to its own strength but its performance in most countries are actually not as good as Titanic (Domestic is one example, China and most European countries as well), $2B OS in 2009 is less impressive than $1.2B in 1997. 

Titanic and Avatar worldwide and overseas performance >>>>>>>>>>> everything else in recent decades.

Titanic performance is the greatest and it’s not close IMHO. China and other markets were a joke in 1997-1998. No 3D or IMAX boost either. 

• Like 2

Just a reminder for folks OS not all money is created equal. We want it, but a dollar here is not quite a dollar OS. 

Fast 8 

China 392 = 98

OS 618 = 247

DOM 225 = 124

WW Total 1,236m est. back to studio = 469m 

The Dark Knight

OS  470m = 188

DOM 535 = 294

WW Total 1,005m  est. back to studio - 482m 

Not to mention USA video sales and streaming/HBO are worth more too by a bit, and thats only based on domestic box office numbers.  TDK probably made almost 100m more just from selling tv rights and shit because of how high its domestic number is 

• Like 3

So i saw TLJ for the 3rd time today and i somehow convinced my parents to go with me.

My father is somewhat critical of big franchises. He hates Marvel, laughs at DC and mostly watches smaller movies, for example, his favourite movie of 2016 was Hell or High Water. Now, hes seen all the SW movies and likes the OT (with ESB as his favourite) and finds the PT unwatchable. He found TFA to be entertaining, but somewhat lacking in originality and found Rogue One to be boring. My mother is a longtime SW-Fan.

TLJ is now their favourite movie of the saga. Both loved it to pieces. Which makes me happy, since the 3rd time today finally convinced me, that it is indeed the best SW movie. After we watched it, i told them about the controversy and they found all of it to be completely ridiculous and out of proportion. I love my parents.

Thanks Disney and Rian Johnson for TLJ. Hopefully Disney realizes that they should completely ignore any loud voices from the Internet. I trust J.J to make a satiesfying finale.

• Like 16

Oh, and after beeing bombarded with the JW2 trailer, whoever made the editing in that should be fired. Horrible, horrible editing and pacing. Makes it kinda unwatchable without cringing.

Still excited as fuck of course, but im a Dino-Nerd, so i was going to see it anyway. But that terrible trailer could make a lot of the GA very worried.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

TLJ is now their favourite movie of the saga. Both loved it to pieces. Which makes me happy, since the 3rd time today finally convinced me, that it is indeed the best SW movie. After we watched it, i told them about the controversy and they found all of it to be completely ridiculous and out of proportion. I love my parents.

There is that one massive emotion and nostalgia inducing scene near the end of the movie which can definitely cause some moviegoers - especially those who saw the OT 30+ years ago - to fall in love with TLJ. I don’t know if that’s the case with your parents; but I would enjoy reading how much that one scene is impacting viewers’ opinions of the film.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Sony is a big hungrier then most studios for franchises because right now it only has one popular frachise...the Spiderman Franchise. It's seems certain that Sony will lose it's other big franchise with James Bond almost certainly leaving, so Sony is probably a bit more desperate them most studio to get a viable franchise. Paramount might be the only other studio in such poor shape as far as franchises go.

And don’t be surprised if we wake up to a headline that reads “Disney pays X billions for Sony assets that include the Spider-Man franchise”.