Rthmessiah

Wednesday Numbers(27/12/17):TLJ $22m

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Is there something I am not seeing waiting in the wings in January? How come the especially horrible movie slate this year? Either it’ll help holdovers a bit or it’ll just be a really crappy start of the year for moviegoing. Or both lol.

I mean I’ll watch The Commuter but I cannot see that movie breaking more than $15M OW, and probably more like $12M.

The Post should do very well in its expansion.  Paddington 2 will also do great.  Maze Runner should be a solid performer

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Is there something I am not seeing waiting in the wings in January? How come the especially horrible movie slate this year? Either it’ll help holdovers a bit or it’ll just be a really crappy start of the year for moviegoing. Or both lol.

I mean I’ll watch The Commuter but I cannot see that movie breaking more than $15M OW, and probably more like $12M.

Its death. The Commuter looks like shit and i liked Non-Stop and Run all Night for what they were. Cant see this one making more than 60M DOM total. Maze Runner 3 looks like shit and will decrease further from the 2nd one. Insidious is the typical First-Weekend-of-January Horror movie that will open decently and have shit legs to a likely 40-60M DOM total. I guess Proud Mary could suprise but i dont see how. The Post i give the best chance for an overperformance - but not much more than 80-100M.

Its the worst January in years and that says something. Thats why i think it will help all the holdovers delivering good holds.

Edit: Forgot about Paddington 2. That one could (and should) surprise.

Edited by Brainbug

24 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Except its not necesssrily crappy.

insidious 4, Commuter, Maze Runner, Paddington 2 and the Oscar movies should be unspectacular but decent performers 

My predictions for January:

Insidious 4 - $15/30

The Commuter - $12/32

Proud Mary - $14/40

Paddington 2 - $27/95

The Post - hidden Figures type run, so $25/sky's the limit

12 Strong - $16/40

Maze Runner - $25/65

Don't know if anyone's brought it up, but most schools won't get all of next week off. This is the XMas calendar teachers and students dread. Most of us will be going back to work on Wed or Thursday of next week. 

:whosad:

Edited by jedieb
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:
> NEW RELEASES
8 9 All the Money in the World TriStar 2,074 - - - - - - 1
16 23 Molly's Game STX Entertainment 271 - - - - - - 1
25 - Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool Sony Classics 4 - - - - - - 1
26 47 Phantom Thread Focus Features 4 - - - - - - 1
> EXPANDING
3 4 Pitch Perfect 3 Universal 3,468 +21 +0.6% - - - - 2
5 5 The Greatest Showman Fox 3,315 +309 +10.3% - - - - 2
9 14 Darkest Hour Focus Features 943 +137 +17.0% - - - - 6
11 15 The Shape of Water Fox Searchlight 756 +30 +4.1% - - - - 5
18 25 Call Me by Your Name Sony Classics 115 +1 +0.9% - - - - 6
24 51 Hostiles Entertainment Studios 5 +2 +66.7% - - - - 2
> NO CHANGE
1 1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi Buena Vista 4,232 - - - - - - 3
2 2 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Sony / Columbia 3,765 - - - - - - 2
22 40 The Post Fox 9 - - - - - - 2
27 50 Happy End Sony Classics 3 - - - - - - 2
> DECLINING
4 3 Ferdinand Fox 3,337 -293 -8.1% - - - - 3
6 7 Downsizing Paramount 2,664 -4 -0.1% - - - - 2
7 8 Coco Buena Vista 2,104 -7 -0.3% - - - - 6
10 13 Daddy's Home 2 Paramount 770 -303 -28.2% - - - - 8
12 16 Thor: Ragnarok Buena Vista 540 -161 -23.0% - - - - 9
13 17 The Disaster Artist A24 507 -10 -1.9% - - - - 5
14 19 Lady Bird A24 392 -10 -2.5% - - - - 9
15 18 Murder on the Orient Express (2017) Fox 391 -56 -12.5% - - - - 8
17 20 Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri Fox Searchlight 266 -41 -13.4% - - - - 8
19 29 Marshall Open Road Films 50 -8 -13.8% - - - - 12
20 32 The Florida Project A24 33 -10 -23.3% - - - - 13
21 35 Victoria and Abdul Focus Features 23 -1 -4.2% - - - - 15
23 42 The Killing of a Sacred Deer A24 7 -1 -12.5% - - - - 11

It is different or more common during the holidays, but Downsizing loosing theater at week #2 is quite special right ?

Usually studio wide release pretty much hold all theater for the first 2 weeks.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

It is different or more common during the holidays, but Downsizing loosing theater at week #2 is quite special right ?

It was a deliberate thematic choice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

My guess is some drive-ins closed for the season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

January has long been a traditional dump month unless you're an Oscar contender from December expanding into wide release.

Oscar nominations are scheduled for Tuesday, January 23. Judging by Wednesday's PTA for All the Money in the World, it will be gone from most theaters on January 12. A single nomination for Plummer (perhaps with one or two minor nominations) will not be enough for it to regain bookings. It probably won't reach $20M DOM.

January is looking like a strong slate for me personally with all of the Oscar contenders expanding and a couple of other things like Paddington and Insidious (I need a new horror movie). February otoh looks like dreck. Black Panther, Annihilation, and Winchester are the only things I'm looking forward to (I'm not convinced Cloverfield is making its date). I'll probably see The 15:17 to Paris and Game Night because of how light the month is, but bleh.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

January is looking like a strong slate for me personally with all of the Oscar contenders expanding and a couple of other things like Paddington and Insidious (I need a new horror movie). February otoh looks like dreck. Black Panther, Annihilation, and Winchester are the only things I'm looking forward to (I'm not convinced Cloverfield is making that date). I'll probably see The 15:17 to Paris and Game Night because of how light the month is, but bleh.

SilkyWillingAnhinga-max-1mb.gif

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

January is looking like a strong slate for me personally with all of the Oscar contenders expanding and a couple of other things like Paddington and Insidious (I need a new horror movie). February otoh looks like dreck. Black Panther, Annihilation, and Winchester are the only things I'm looking forward to (I'm not convinced Cloverfield is making its date). I'll probably see The 15:17 to Paris and Game Night because of how light the month is, but bleh.

We all know your mom will drag you to Fifty Shades Freed. :redcapes:

Oh wait, that's @That One Guy.

1 hour ago, jedieb said:

Don't know if anyone's brought it up, but most schools won't get all of next week off. This is the XMas calendar teachers and students dread. Most of us will be going back to work on Wed or Thursday of next week. 

:whosad:

Yup :(    Some schools are even back on Tuesday, blah. 

8 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Off-topic maybe, but im listening to some Prequel music and i remember why i think John Williams deserves some sort of statue or monument.

Duel of the Fates. Across the Stars. Battle of the Heroes. Anakins Betrayal. March on the Jedi Temple.

Perfection. I often shit on the prequels, but the music is just absolutely phenomenal.

John Williams will be considered this era's Beethoven or Mozart. I truly believe that.