DeeCee

Thursday Numbers (Asgard): TLJ $19.5 J $15m

12 minutes ago, REC said:

Yeah not where I'm at and afaik that's not normal.  But yes I see some schools are out that week.  I'm surprised any school would be off after Jan 2nd.

Practically all of SoCal I've researched is off.  Only about 20M people. :P

Edited by LinksterAC

44 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I never thought SW was subtle with its politics, seems like a retcon of history.

Absolutely. Star Wars has always been stridently anti-fascist. The bad guys were literal space Nazis. Plot points in the prequels were also strongly influenced by the events leading to WWII.

Sacramento Unified (the main school district in town) has the Winter Holidays as: Dec 23 - Jan 7.

But we always have a two week break here, so it just matters when it lands on the calendar.

By comparison, Elk Grove Unified is Dec 21 - Jan 1, so it's absolutely variable.

On the other hand one of the other 'main' school districts in Sacramento, San Juan Unified, is also Dec 23 - Jan 7.  So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯    

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Correct, it has underperformed compared to 2006 if anything. So the 60% prediction I gave might be too generous. We will see. 

Purely anecdotal, but my high school was back in session on January 2 in 2006.  This year they're off until the 8th.  In general, in California, the winter recess has gotten longer in the past decade.

I really have no idea how that's going to play out this year.  It may drop 60% like you suggest, but it may hold stronger than my forecast shows.  

It would be great to get data on this from @EmpireCity or @The Greatest Rth if they have access to it.

Edited by LinksterAC

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Sacramento Unified (the main school district in town) has the Winter Holidays as: Dec 23 - Jan 7.

But we always have a two week break here, so it just matters when it lands on the calendar.

By comparison, Elk Grove Unified is Dec 21 - Jan 1, so it's absolutely variable.

On the other hand one of the other 'main' school districts in Sacramento, San Juan Unified, is also Dec 23 - Jan 7.  So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯    

I'm also not sure how much this matters since I suspect TLJ is more adult-skewing than TFA or even R1.

But I suppose every bit helps. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯    

4 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Purely anecdotal, but my high school was back in session on January 2 in 2006.  This year they're off until the 8th.  In general, in California, the winter recess has gotten longer in the past decade.

I really have no idea how that's going to play out this year.  It may drop 60% like you suggest, but it may hold stronger than my forecast shows.  

It would be great to get data on this from @EmpireCity or @The Greatest Rth if they have access to it.

If that happens, then the drops after next weekend are gonna be ugly. 

7 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

Yes, I've read through that. I still leaning 50-60% (leaning closer to 60%).

Here's the model with more "regular" weekday drops.  Friday & Saturday boosts for January 5 and 6 are a little bit steeper, as is the Tuesday drop.

Date Weekday Daily % change    
Through 25-Dec   395.6      
26-Dec Tuesday 27.8      
27-Dec Wednesday 21.8 -22%    
28-Dec Thursday 19.4 -11%    
29-Dec Friday 21.4 10%    
30-Dec Saturday 23.5 10%    
31-Dec Sunday 16.5 -30% WKND-3 61.3
1-Jan Monday 19.7 20% WKND-4 81.1
2-Jan Tuesday 8.9 -55%    
3-Jan Wednesday 8.0 -10%    
4-Jan Thursday 7.2 -10%    
5-Jan Friday 13.0 80%    
6-Jan Saturday 17.5 35%    
7-Jan Sunday 10.1 -42% WKND 40.6

CUME   610.4      
Edited by LinksterAC

43 minutes ago, REC said:

Jan 3-5 seem a bit optimistic?  TFA was barely cracking 10mil in its Jan 4-8 weekdays (only hitting 10.8 that friday the 8th) and TLJ is definitely underperforming that.  I think your 3-5 estimates need to be cut in half.

RO from Jan 3-6 ranged from 3-6m per day.

While some schools start back on Tuesday and Wednesday, a lot aren’t going back until the following Monday. My wife doesn’t go back until the 8th. Should stay in that 10+ range Mon - Friday

16 minutes ago, EmmaPeel said:

Absolutely. Star Wars has always been stridently anti-fascist. The bad guys were literal space Nazis. Plot points in the prequels were also strongly influenced by the events leading to WWII.

I always saw ANH as anti-Nazi and ROTJ as anti-Vietnam War.

ROTS as anti-Bush (at least on the surface).

TFA/TLJ as anti-neofascist. Kylo Ren is basically the typical alt right/MRA dork.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

While some schools start back on Tuesday and Wednesday, a lot aren’t going back until the following Monday. My wife doesn’t go back until the 8th. Should stay in that 10+ range Mon - Friday

It’s not just school stuff. Lots of people were off work this week but will not be off work next week after Monday. 

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It’s not just school stuff. Lots of people were off work this week but will not be off work next week after Monday. 

True, but schools being out isn’t just kids being out. It’s also everyone who works at the schools as well. It kind of balances out. 

If im wrong I’m wrong. Not like it’s never happened before lol

25 minutes ago, KeithF1138 said:

You really dont expect Mark Hamill back in Ep9? Fully expect him to be the most active Force ghost of all time. Dont even think Lucasfilm will hide that he is in the film.

There are other characters connected to the Skywalker legacy also.

(For further discussion we'd have to go to the spoiler thread)

Edited by grey ghost