DeeCee

Thursday Numbers (Asgard): TLJ $19.5 J $15m

So I remember saying after a few of the matinees at my theatre that both Last Jedi and Jumanji were down significantly from Wednesday.

So evening shows went bonkers (especially for Jumanji) and Star Wars ended up only decreasing slightly, and Jumanji went up from Wednesday 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I always saw ANH as anti-Nazi and ROTJ as anti-Vietnam War.

ROTS as anti-Bush (at least on the surface).

TFA/TLJ as anti-neofascist. Kylo Ren is basically the typical alt right/MRA dork.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

True, but schools being out isn’t just kids being out. It’s also everyone who works at the schools as well. It kind of balances out. 

If im wrong I’m wrong. Not like it’s never happened before lol

Balances out? That is a strange statement. I am talking about regular jobs. Teachers do not outnumber corporate jobs in our country. 

My company has 1,200 employees and we are by no means a huge company. They gave us Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th, and New Year’s Monday.

I took 3 days of paid time off between 27th to 29th. Probably 80-90% of the company is doing same thing. But I would guess 80-90% of us will be in the office on Tuesday or Wednesday. 

• Like 2

Just now, DAJK said:

So I remember saying after a few of the matinees at my theatre that both Last Jedi and Jumanji were down significantly from Wednesday.

So evening shows went bonkers (especially for Jumanji) and Star Wars ended up only decreasing slightly, and Jumanji went up from Wednesday 

I'm telling ya, I just feel it in my bones that TLJ is skewing more toward an adult audience, for good and for ill.  This is gonna cut down on its initial legs as much as the mixed WOM seems to be doing.  

At the same time, it might make for a slightly longer 'tail' if the repeat business is adult orientated, as people get the time in their schedules to see it in January and early February.  Not enough for a huge difference, no.  But perhaps a measurable one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

All kidding with @Christmas baumer aside, this is exactly what I was talking about this year and last.  I was actually more than a little surprised to see just how 'low' the multipliers all were for all the films that did more than 180m+ OW with the notable exception of TFA.  Even pulling back to 175m+ OW, it gets hard to find a film with much more than a 3x multiplier. (edit: Jurassic World is the best non-TFA example at 3.12x)

More to the point, Baumer is exactly right about the prediction spread for TFA.  I wasn't on the board at the time, but I was still following from the sidelines and predictions for TFA didn't go through the roof until the "Chewie, We're Home" trailer hit.  And even then it was a rare poster to suggest it would come close to 1b DOM.

Hell, on the forum I help Admin, I openly mocked the person who said TFA would sail past Avatar with no trouble.  Not because I thought it was impossible to do.  More because I thought it was foolhardy to expect. Expecting north of 700m on ANY film is probably a bad bet.  Simply because it takes nearly everything to click right for it to happen.  Just one or two things fail to click for whatever reason...

Why you might have a disappointing 650m instead. 

Could TLJ have done more?  A LOT more?  Of course it could have.  It'd be asinine and revisionist for me to say otherwise.  At the same time a good friend of mine on that other board flat out told me that they were waiting to see TLJ when it landed on home video, because they felt they could wait.  Which I thought was kinda a sign at the time.

Either way, it's very likely that TLJ will do more than 400m AFTER opening weekend.  And that's damn good for any film, even if it could have done more.

To me it was very simple math. I didn’t believe for one second that I live in a world where Jurassic Park is more popular than Star Wars, because that’s not reality. I refused to accept that because I knew that’s bullshit, Star Wars is the biggest game in town. So I accepted TFA will beat JW’s opening weekend. With holiday multiples and an opening of at least $210M I then saw a final gross in the upper $700M range as possible, but with any variation of the OW or multiple it messed with things. Like if bad weather hit and OW was $195M, maybe it would miss. Or $210M OW but only 3x legs. So that’s how I figured and settled upon a 50% chance Avatar didn’t survive the movie.

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Balances out? That is a strange statement. I am talking about regular jobs. Teachers do not outnumber corporate jobs in our country. 

My company has 1,200 employees and we are by no means a huge company. They gave us Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th, and New Year’s Monday.

I took 3 days of paid time off between 27th to 29th. Probably 80-90% of the company is doing same thing. But I would guess 80-90% of us will be in the office on Tuesday or Wednesday. 

Yep it's been a virtual ghost town.  Where I park in our structure there's been two cars all week and I'm one of them

• Like 1

After seeing that first Jumanji trailer, I freely admit to not being bullish about its prospects. I thought it would finish in the $50-$80M range. The second trailer was certainly better but I didn't think it would reach $120M, which is where it stands today and is probably less than half of its eventual final domestic haul. Were it not for Get Out, Jumanji would be hands down the biggest box office surprise of the year. Never underestimate a breezy, family friendly action comedy during the holidays. 

• Like 1

I only have two employees, I know one of them is off and I just suddenly realized I have no fucking idea what my editor is doing this week. I am pretty sure we have had nothing to edit so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s just sitting around but I really hope not. My GFs mom was also off this week (bank job).

14 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

There's another time of year where people are working, and schools are out. 

Maybe we should use the summer as a model for next week?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

After seeing that first Jumanji trailer, I freely admit to not being bullish about its prospects. I thought it would finish in the $50-$80M range. The second trailer was certainly better but I didn't think it would reach $120M, which is where it stands today and is probably less than half of its eventual final domestic haul. Were it not for Get Out, Jumanji would be hands down the biggest box office surprise of the year. Never underestimate a breezy, family friendly action comedy during the holidays. 

giphy.gif