DeeCee

Thursday Numbers (Asgard): TLJ $19.5 J $15m

45 minutes ago, the beast said:

I dont think nearly anyone saw $200m+ a few months ago for Jumanji let alone $300m+

I posted on here this summer that I thought it would follow Night at the Museum with the same calendar set up and could get to $250m+

It was pretty easy to see after the CinemaCon footage it would be huge.  They showed much more than in the trailers and it played very well.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ACSlater said:

Is your vacation schedule just built like that? 

Just throws me off with the 1st being the start date rather than the big holiday break.

My work vacation schedule is based on seniority. So I have three weeks vacation and my first week is the first week of January and then the second week of June and in the first week of October. That's just how it works when you work for the city here in Toronto. You have to bid on your vacation times. So I will never get summer vacation, at least until around 10 years from now LOL.

All I remember at the beginning is that there are actually some people who said Jumanji would do less than 100 million total LOL I certainly did not call 200 million but I think in one of my original posts I said that because it was Christmas and a family film that it would do at least a hundred and fifty million.

4 hours ago, Christmas baumer said:

I've been doing some thinking about TLJ and the so called underwhelming performance.  Take a look at this thread:

This was a club I made way before presales and the hype took over.  Most people in the club, before the presales numbers were released, had TFA making between 500-650 million, some said as high as 700.  No one had it doing passing Avatar domestically and no one had it doing 800 million.  Even my prediction at the beginning of the thread was 550 domestic.  No one saw the absolute craziness that TFA would delight us with for the duration of its run.  No one thought it would come even close to the insane number of 937 million.

Why do I bring this up?  Well, maybe those of us, including myself, who are claiming that TLJ isn't doing what it should be doing, need to step back and realize that TFA was just a once in a generation anomaly and even though it (TLJ) opened to 220 million, finishing with 650-700 is still a remarkable number.  It will more than likely be the third highest grossing film domestically of all time and will be probably end up in the 7 or 8th slot world wide.  If TFA hadn't of come along and destroyed the box office, if it would have even made "just" 1.6 billion, then this performance by TLJ would have been looked upon much differently.

The multiplier is still a little vexing (although it could still get to north of 3.2, especially with next week acting like a holiday week) and it still should get to a minimum of 3X.  The number that really messed me up is the Christmas Day bump of only 55%.  So there is no denying that the wom has been affected by those of us who didn't care for it.  But if TFA hadn't destroyed records, this run, the numbers it's putting up would be considered very strong.  Maybe I need to step back and just realize hat 660-720 million is a hell of a gross and to just not look at it as a juxtaposition against the opening weekend.  

I think it's easy to criticize the films run because of the opening weekend and the weak CD bump, but if TFA hadn't done what it did, we'd be singing a different tune about TLJ.  Most people had TFA doing less than 700 million, in fact no one predicted it to hit 700 before the presales numbers were released.  And now this one will probably hit that number and yet we call it a disappointment.  I'm more guilty than most for doing it, and that stems from me being upset at the film thematically.  But when you look at the dollars and not anything else, it's doing quite phenomenal. 

A Star Wars trilogy film in this day and age should be able to do 1 billion DOM. Anything as coherent as ESB or RotJ would easily meet that threshold. But sadly these films seem more interested in servicing current political interests at the cost of what made the franchise great in the first place. TLJ has elements of greatness but it mostly misses as a Star Wars film the more I have thought about it. There is enough in place to make Episode IX a home run* however. I am cautiously optimistic.

*1 billion DOM

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 2

5 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

All I remember at the beginning is that there are actually some people who said Jumanji would do less than 100 million total LOL I certainly did not call 200 million but I think in one of my original posts I said that because it was Christmas and a family film that it would do at least a hundred and fifty million.

I was one of those people.

I thought it was going to be cheesy like Goosebumps and audiences were tired of Kevin Hart.

I was wrong on both fronts 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

Okay, let's stop it with the overreactions. Jumanji grossing 300M is not more shocking than American Sniper or Deadpool reaching that mark.

Most people probably predicted Deadpool and Jumanji in the 150 m DOM range so their performance is similarly shocking.

4 minutes ago, SWXII said:

A Star Wars trilogy film in this day and age should be able to do 1 billion DOM. Anything as coherent as ESB or RotJ would easily meet that threshold. But sadly these films seem more interested in servicing current political interests at the cost of what made the franchise great in the first place. TLJ has elements of greatness but it mostly misses as a Star Wars film the more I have thought about it. There is enough in place to make Episode IX a home run* however. I am cautiously optimistic.

*1 billion DOM

I disagree.  No film should "be able" to do 1 billion domestic. Simply because no film ever has done 1 billion domestic. It doesn't matter that it's Star Wars. Getting a billion dollars domestic is incredibly difficult and damn near impossible.

• Like 3

Just now, Christmas baumer said:

I disagree.  No film should "be able" to do 1 billion domestic. Simply because no film ever has done 1 billion domestic. It doesn't matter that it's Star Wars. Getting a billion dollars domestic is incredibly difficult and damn near impossible.

The only shot of that ever happening in our lives was 2 years ago.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Not here they don't. Everything is off until the 8th.

My sister is a teacher and she goes back Wednesday the 3rd.   Most districts around here will be back by then

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wrath said:

Heh, I went with $222M OW, $700M DOM, and 1.5B WW. I feel pretty good about those.

I actually think we're starting to see a bit of SW-fatigue. Not in the sense of dragging them genuinely down, but 3 years in a row (with more to come) will eventually bring SW down to conventional blockbuster status.

SW9 isn't dropping much from TLJ.

7 minutes ago, SWXII said:

A Star Wars trilogy film in this day and age should be able to do 1 billion DOM. But sadly these films seem more interested in servicing current political interests at the cost of what made the franchise great in the first place.

Ohhhhhhhhh....that's why.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1