Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Can't wait for Valonqar to go all "WHY DID THE ACADEMY GO FOR GREEN BOOK THEY'RE SO OUT OF TOUCH BLACK PANTHER NEEDS TO WIN BECAUSE IT MADE MONEY MYEH MYEH MYEH MYEH MYEH". It's totally not gonna be utterly obnoxious and moronic and irritating.

The real meltdown will be if Black Panther actually misses in two days. Which actually doesn’t feel outside the realm of possibility now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Poor Spike Lee. Do the Right Thing vs. Driving Miss Daisy all over again.

l o fucking l. Green Book has survived everything so far. It winning here over A Star is Born (when it wasn’t even that big of a crowdpleasing box office hit) is one of the more surprising twists of the season. It was my mom’s favorite movie of last year (and all the old people I know who’ve seen it similarly praise it to the high heavens) so, happy for my mom I guess. :lol:

No kidding on that first point. Granted, BlacKkKlansman isn't as fresh or game-changing as Do the Right Thing, but it's still one of the best movies of the year (and a far more dynamic film than most wide release fare) and a damn sight better at exploring race relations than Green Book.

I kinda had a feeling that Green Book wasn't going away after seeing it back in November (the audience of olds I saw it with loved it, and my parents - who have actually seen quite a few of the movies in the running for a change - put it right up there with A Star Is Born), but I didn't see it being a serious contender for the win. It's especially baffling that we're looking at Green Book as a prospective winner after seeing Moonlight and The Shape of Water take the top prize in the last two years. Definitely a head-scratcher.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

No kidding on that first point. Granted, BlacKkKlansman isn't as fresh or game-changing as Do the Right Thing, but it's still one of the best movies of the year (and a far more dynamic film than most wide release fare) and a damn sight better at exploring race relations than Green Book.

I kinda had a feeling that Green Book wasn't going away after seeing it back in November (the audience of olds I saw it with loved it, and my parents - who have actually seen quite a few of the movies in the running for a change - put it right up there with A Star Is Born), but I didn't see it being a serious contender for the win. It's especially baffling that we're looking at Green Book as a prospective winner after seeing Moonlight and The Shape of Water take the top prize in the last two years. Definitely a head-scratcher.

Yeah, the Guilds picks this year feel like stuff they would have gone for a decade ago.

• Like 2

first post-noms predictions:

Picture: Roma

Director: Alfonso Cuaron

Actor: Rami Malek (tho bale is a serious threat since VICE pretty much maxed out its nomination potential. see who wins the SAG award)

Actress: Glenn Close

Supp. Actor: Mahershala Ali

Supp. Actress: Amy Adams

Original Screenplay: The Favourite

Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman

Animated: Spider-Verse

Foreign: Roma

Doc: RBG (would be a bad win but feel like non-doc branch voters are gonna be lazy here)

Cinematography: Roma

Costumes: The Favourite

Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody

Make-Up: Vice

Original Score: If Beale Street Could Talk (maybe black panther)

Original Song: Shallow

Production Design: Black Panther

Sound Editing: First Man

Sound Mixing: Bohemian Rhapsody

Visual Effects: Avengers: Infinity War

so that's 4 for roma, 3 for borap, 2 for vice and the favourite.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

first post-noms predictions:

Picture: Roma

Director: Alfonso Cuaron

Actor: Rami Malek (tho bale is a serious threat since VICE pretty much maxed out its nomination potential. see who wins the SAG award)

Actress: Glenn Close

Supp. Actor: Mahershala Ali

Supp. Actress: Amy Adams

Original Screenplay: The Favourite

Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman

Animated: Spider-Verse

Foreign: Roma

Doc: RBG (would be a bad win but feel like non-doc branch voters are gonna be lazy here)

Cinematography: Roma

Costumes: The Favourite

Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody

Make-Up: Vice

Original Score: If Beale Street Could Talk (maybe black panther)

Original Song: Shallow

Production Design: Black Panther

Sound Editing: First Man

Sound Mixing: Bohemian Rhapsody

Visual Effects: Avengers: Infinity War

so that's 4 for roma, 3 for borap, 2 for vice and the favourite.

Give Buster Scruggs a win you coward.

(Hopefully you can win me the mug this year).

Oscar trivia: If Ali wins, it'll be for playing a gay character again. I think he's the only actor who got nominated twice for playing a gay character too. 

Congrats to @CoolioD1 for sticking with BKKK. JDW snub aside :sadno:, the movie scored BP/BD/BE/BAS and it's the only one that has that and SAG Ensemble nom in the bag. Now it's all on Focus to play its cards right. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

really? I thought that he was sex on the beach character and that they end up together? lol. damn.

From what I remember he was a father figure for the main characther, when he was in the first younger version of himself story (the beach character)

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

really? I thought that he was sex on the beach character and that they end up together? lol. damn.

you thought he was the guy who gives him a handjob on the beach? lol what the fuck

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

the villain from Alita :Venom:

@CoolioD1 I read the synopsis on Moviespoiler so I clearly mixed it up. I thought Ali played the hand job guy. Big mistake. 

I'm genuinely curious what you get out of going all in on awards season stuff when you can't even be bothered to watch the movies in question.

• Like 3