Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

12 hours ago, Spagspiria said:

It’s worth pointing out that every year, the Best Picture winner was also up for a BOFFY. That rules out Panther, Green Book, Vice, and BoRap for potential wins...

I mean, it’s worked like clockwork before...

Congrats on winning Best Picture, Roma!

‘Cold War’ Wins American Society of Cinematographers Award

Lukasz Zal scores an upset victory over “Roma” director and cinematographer Alfonso Cuaron, who could have become the first person to win DGA and ASC Awards

https://www.thewrap.com/cold-war-wins-american-society-of-cinematographers-award/

Just when we thought Roma's victory on best cinematography is a locked, cold war stir up the race 

• Like 1

New York Times: What Will Win Best Picture? 20 Oscar Votes Spill Their Secrets

Highlights are:

• Resistance to vote for Disney (Black Panther) and Netflix (Roma)
  • All 20 Voted for Malek but none for Bohemian Rhapsody as Top Choice
  • One older gentleman voted for Green Book because "sick of being told what to think"
  • Only one voted for Vice, and that's because they were friends with the producers.
  • Believe Blackkklansman will stand up the best historically, but none loved it.
  • Loved the Favourite but didn't think it would win.
  • Dislike of Lady Gaga killed A Star Is Born buzz

From the article, I get the impression Green Book, Blackkklansman, Roma, and Black Panther are the only films resonating with the voters.

My gut is saying they're going to go with Green Book, because, it's the Academy.  

That said, I wouldn't be at all shocked if Black Panther gets this based on preferential voting.  It feels like there's no clear frontrunner, which means voting will go to a second or third round.  Black Panther snags enough of those placements and that's enough to get them over the top.  (I also confess I don't know how the Academy tallies its votes.  I'm only going off of who we do Rank Choice Voting in Maine, where you need 50% of the votes to win.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RichWS said:

With all the Academy BLUNDERS this year, it feels only right they'll cap it off with a Green Book win. Honestly, it can't end any other way.

I'll say this much. It appears the producers are actually making an effort to put together a show that'll make everybody say "come back James Franco and Anne Hathaway! All is forgiven!"

5 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

New York Times: What Will Win Best Picture? 20 Oscar Votes Spill Their Secrets

Highlights are:

• Resistance to vote for Disney (Black Panther) and Netflix (Roma)
  • One older gentleman voted for Green Book because "sick of being told what to think"

And that's why I've been hesitant to budge from predicting Green Book over Roma. The Netflix resistance seems like it's going to be significant (and dumb considering that many of the voters watch most of these films at home anyway), and Green Book just seems like a fitting winner for the contingency that wants to dig its heels in and stick it to the whiners.

On a related note, the write-up on A Star Is Born had some incredibly annoying points. They're turning their backs on the film because a precursor organization didn't award it and because Lady Gaga's speeches were cloying? How childish.

• Like 1

I don't get how no one talked about the Blackkklansaman potential upset? It got all the oscar-wining ingredients. 

1. SAG ensemble, PGA, DGA, GG, BATFA nomination, it basically got nominated everywhere, sufficiently to say that people care about it.

2. Socially-relevant, it tackle the racial issue more critically with real historical event (completely oscar-friendly) 

3. it got 97% Fresh on RT with 8.3 average rating, none of the BP winner since Crash drop below 8.0 

4. It got best director and best screenplay both nomination. The key combo in determining best picture odd.

5. It grossed 48.6m at the box office almost without any oscar-season push, suggest that general audience like it.

6. It is almost certain to win best adapted screenplay. a key path to win BP(see moonlight, 12 years a slave, argo and spotlight)

I'm not ruling out a BlacKkKlansman upset, but I'm not feeling it despite the huge contemporary relevance and the opportunity to award a Spike Lee joint. I felt like Spotlight and Moonlight both had more vocal support ahead of the ceremony, so their wins were surprising but not as shocking as a victory for BlacKkKlansman would be.

As far as my preferences go, I'm rooting for Roma, more than willing to embrace upset wins from The Favourite or BlacKkKlansman (or Black Panther, but I feel like that's an even bigger longshot), hoping against all hope that A Star Is Born (#1 on my list for last year) isn't dead yet, and not looking forward to a win for Green Book. If Bohemian Rhapsody - a film that barely got a passing mark from me - goes on to win, I might just skip next year's ceremony in silent, irrelevant protest.

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I'm not ruling out a BlacKkKlansman upset, but I'm not feeling it despite the huge contemporary relevance and the opportunity to award a Spike Lee joint. I felt like Spotlight and Moonlight both had more vocal support ahead of the ceremony, so their wins were surprising but not as shocking as a victory for BlacKkKlansman would be.

As far as my preferences go, I'm rooting for Roma, more than willing to embrace upset wins from The Favourite or BlacKkKlansman (or Black Panther, but I feel like that's an even bigger longshot), hoping against all hope that A Star Is Born (#1 on my list for last year) isn't dead yet, and not looking forward to a win for Green Book. If Bohemian Rhapsody - a film that barely got a passing mark from me - goes on to win, I might just skip next year's ceremony in silent, irrelevant protest.

My best picture's criteria.

1. Socially-relevant. A film like Erin brokovich, traffic, Crash, slumdog millionaire, arrival, moonlight, spotlight, big short are always my favourite pick for Best picture winner. Movie was not merely a medium for escapist, we have too many film for escapism and a best picture winner should have encourage us to connect with real-world instead of being in an isolated self-congratulatory circle.

Only Blackkklansman, perhaps Roma & Black Panther(barely) fit this criteria for me.

2. Critically acclaimed. I am huge Bohemian Rhapsody supporter for NOMINATION but not for the win. It's a film clearly got the love from public. A non VFX/action driven film got 850m worldwide without china is clearly a gesture showing the public reception.  

Beside Vice and BR, the rest of 6 films fulfilled the criteria, (GB barely in)

3. Decent box office run relative its scale and cost.  Like I said, Oscar shouldn't be too elite like the industry and critics circle are the correct answer for all. A decent box office run  is a showcase of how the film has connect the elite with mass public.

Roma and VIce clearly failed this test for me and The Favourite is merely touching the passing mark, its oscar bump has been meh. 

Blackkklansman is the only one in the nominees that fulfilled all the criteria for me and that is why I am rooting for its win.    

• Like 1

The Favourite was never going to be a box office smash, though. I saw it twice theatrically - partly because I loved it, partly because it was exhibited in the wrong aspect ratio the first time I saw it (seriously). Both times, the audience I saw it with was clearly expecting something akin to Downton Abbey, only to be blindsided with the sex, profanity, dark comedy, and uncomfortable ending the film threw at them. Its chances of being anything resembling a crossover mainstream hit were always minimal, and I don't think that detail should hinder its Best Picture chances if it really does have a realistic shot at the prize.

Of course, all that commentary seems merely hypothetical considering that I think the race is really down to Green Book and Roma. My head tells me that Roma has to win it because of the precursors it has racked up, but my gut says Green Book.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

The Favourite did as well as it was ever going to do.

I'm pretty much over this season between all the drama (Popular Oscar, Kevin Hart, relegating categories to commercials, etc.) and being indifferent to the nominees for the most part (easily the weakest line-up since 2011, if not since the expansion occurred). Only one more week until we get it over with and can move on to next year.

• Like 3