WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2018 Box Office Predictions

April 27

Blumhouse’s Truth or Dare: This Blumhouse joint has a couple of things going in its favor. It’s coming off of Happy Death Day and Insidious (more so the former being original), and the social media response to the first trailer was strong. The Universal upload has 5M views after five days, which is fantastic for the genre. I do think the crowded month for horror will make this gross a bit less than it could have, but May is pretty weak outside of SLENDERMAN. 20/50 (2.5x)

Traffik: Since Lionsgate hasn’t released a trailer, making a prediction will be tough. Who’s involved in this?

*the director of Meet the Blacks*

Well then. 5/12.5 (2.5x)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

April 27

Traffik: Since Lionsgate hasn’t released a trailer, making a prediction will be tough. Who’s involved in this?

*the director of Meet the Blacks*

Well then. 5/12.5 (2.5x)

IMDB Summary

A couple off for a romantic weekend in the mountains are accosted by a bike gang. Alone in the mountains, Brea and John must defend themselves against a gang, who will stop at nothing to protect their secrets.

Well, that's certainly a genre shift. :lol: 

• Haha 1

May 4

Avengers: Infinity War: THOSE TRAILER VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can say anything you want about AOU or CW negatively affecting this movie, but this motherfucking movie has UNPRECENDENTED views on YouTube. Anyone who legitimately thinks this is going below Age of Ultron is not paying attention whatsoever. This month is incredibly barren with basically no competition, so even if it ends up frontloaded, I cannot see it having less than a 2.5x. Rewatchability could be high on this one with these heroes together after 10 years. Additionally, Black Panther’s pre-sales are enormous, and providing it is a WOM hit, that is even more goodwill coming into Infinity War. Really, predicting this movie is just a matter of how high it can go. I think it can go pretty damn high! 225/590 (2.62x)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

May 4

Avengers: Infinity War: THOSE TRAILER VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can say anything you want about AOU or CW negatively affecting this movie, but this motherfucking movie has UNPRECENDENTED views on YouTube. Anyone who legitimately thinks this is going below Age of Ultron is not paying attention whatsoever. This month is incredibly barren with basically no competition, so even if it ends up frontloaded, I cannot see it having less than a 2.5x. Rewatchability could be high on this one with these heroes together after 10 years. Additionally, Black Panther’s pre-sales are enormous, and providing it is a WOM hit, that is even more goodwill coming into Infinity War. Really, predicting this movie is just a matter of how high it can go. I think it can go pretty damn high! 225/590 (2.62x)

Come on man, up that predict 30m and join my club. You know you want to do it.

tenor.gif?itemid=5222702

• Astonished 1

May 11

Action Point: Johnny Knoxville has been on a bit of break from the spotlight and has not been the lead in any projects since Bad Grandpa over four years ago (I’m not counting the first TMNT). Details about the film are not well known, which makes it hard to predict. Bad Grandpa was a huge WOM hit and made over 100M here in the states, so be on the lookout for a breakout if it delivers. 15/45 (3x)

Life of the Party: Speaking of people who have been on a break, Melissa McCarthy did not release any movies in 2017! This will be her first movie in 22 months since Ghostbusters. McCarthy is always a draw, so I can’t see this making less than 50M, especially when she has not graced the screen in a bit. That said, this film is written and directed by her husband Ben Falcone, and their track record together is horrendous: Tammy and The Boss were both critically panned movies. Given this is finished and waiting to be released, I think that speaks measures as to how WB feels about the film’s quality. Still, McCarthy has her audience, and the market will be starving for a comedy aimed at women. The range is 50-80M on this one IMO. 20/60 (3x)

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 12:02 PM, WrathOfHan said:

April 13

The New Mutants: No other movie is daring to face this, and it’s for a good reason. The New Mutants represents a new endeavor in the comic book movie craze: horror. Both genres are coming off record-breaking years, and people want new, unique movies. This fits that bill and is releasing on the perfect date. Friday the 13th always leads to big grosses for horror movies, but how will it affect a superhero horror movie? I’m betting a lot! It also helps that the rest of April and May look a bit light on competition (though it will drop a bit in its second weekend and May 4). Don’t be surprised if this comes close to Logan. 70/200 (2.86x)

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/10/2018 at 3:30 PM, WrathOfHan said:

May 4

gunBe3Gyf6CjiAvNCtCggl2L6iY=.gif

On 1/6/2018 at 12:02 PM, WrathOfHan said:

April 13

The New Mutants: No other movie is daring to face this, and it’s for a good reason. The New Mutants represents a new endeavor in the comic book movie craze: horror. Both genres are coming off record-breaking years, and people want new, unique movies. This fits that bill and is releasing on the perfect date. Friday the 13th always leads to big grosses for horror movies, but how will it affect a superhero horror movie? I’m betting a lot! It also helps that the rest of April and May look a bit light on competition (though it will drop a bit in its second weekend and May 4). Don’t be surprised if this comes close to Logan. 70/200 (2.86x)

Take the same prediction and make it for Truth or Dare

• Astonished 1