FantasticBeasts

POLL: Most Surprising BO run of 2017.

Most Surprising BO run of 2017  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of the following movies' BO performance was the most positively surprising one throughout 2017?

• Get Out
    • Split
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • It
    • Wonder Woman
    • Wonder
    • Daddy's Home 2
    • Murder on the Orient Express
    • Baby Driver
    • The Boss Baby
    • Annabelle:Creation
    • Girls Trip
    • Dunkirk
    • Jumanji
    • The Greatest Showman
    • Other

Coco run in China deserves a shout out as well. I didn't even think it would be released there, let alone make ~180M.

Lots of things in China surprised me actually. I don't follow it too much, but stuff like Wolf Warrior 2 making over 800M definitely surprised the shit outta me.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

get out but also wonder's gross was an impressive surprise because i'm not sure it's a real movie.

What I wonder the most about Wonder is how the hell that made so much money in Brazil?! I literally never heard even one person around me commenting on this film, I saw absolutely no marketing for it, nada. Just, how?!

I guess Brazil does have a recent story with these kind of films; Me Before You did make 17 millions over here(second biggest foreign market after Germany(?) with 20M) but come on, biggest foreign market with 12M? Wow, I did not expect that.

Edited by Arlborn

TGS is definitely the most surprising now. Everyone was calling for a huge bomb pre-release, and it even seemed like we were all right at first. No one could have ever predicted its run in the slightest. Most impressive is really hard to nail down. On one hand, TGS is going to end up with an absurd multi we haven't seen for a non-limited release since like the 80's, but on the other hand Jumanji is going to have a multi around half of TGS but with twice the gross. So both are kind of equally impressive. Then of course IT had admissions no horror film has come close to since 20 years ago. Though outside of that OW, its run isn't particularly impressive and Jumanji is going to fly past its total gross. So I'd go with either Jumanji or TGS. Both equally impressive in different ways. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

TGS is definitely the most surprising now. Everyone was calling for a huge bomb pre-release, and it even seemed like we were all right at first. No one could have ever predicted its run in the slightest. Most impressive is really hard to nail down. On one hand, TGS is going to end up with an absurd multi we haven't seen for a non-limited release since like the 80's, but on the other hand Jumanji is going to have a multi around half of TGS but with twice the gross. So both are kind of equally impressive. Then of course IT had admissions no horror film has come close to since 20 years ago. Though outside of that OW, its run isn't particularly impressive and Jumanji is going to fly past its total gross. So I'd go with either Jumanji or TGS. Both equally impressive in different ways. 

*since the 90's.

The Greatest Showman because all of the other movies on this list had good to great opening, this one didn't plus the so-so to bad reviews, who would have thought it would have this kind of legs and redeem itself big time

• Like 1

Changed my vote to Greatest Showman. not many movies can go from flop opening to certified smash hit by the end of their run.

On 1/27/2018 at 12:26 AM, MovieMan89 said:

If TGS hits 20x, then I'm pretty sure there is no wide release to do that since the 80's besides Titanic. If it goes over Titanic's 21x multi, then it's a multi we haven't seen since the 80's. 

It's an amazing run but if you're trying to compare it numerically then bear in mind it opened on a wednesday so not quite a fair comparison to a friday opener. 

I didn't change my vote, I just voted Greatest Showman

It - while its total is impressive and surpassed my expectations it having success wasn't a surprise

Wonder Woman - I had it pegged as a hit, not shocked

Get Out - some little horror film always manages to to punch over its weight class + 99% RT score was going to help cause we live in a "I want to be included" society that takes the 'popular' opinion side of the moment. That's RT in this case currently.

BatB - why is that even listed? Its success was never in doubt

Wonder - while it did way better than imagined it also rocked an 85% RT + Julia Roberts. Come on.

All the films with 0 votes just shows they shouldn't be on the list anyway.

The Greatest Showman had an OW that had the trades pegging flop. It did so in the midst of a horrid 54% RT score. Also having to combat the SJW whining about the lack of Barnum's portrayal + Hugh Jackman outside of playing Wolverine doesn't have a lot of box office proven clout. Rising above all this makes it the best and biggest surprise.