FantasticBeasts

POLL: Most Surprising BO run of 2017.

Most Surprising BO run of 2017  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of the following movies' BO performance was the most positively surprising one throughout 2017?

• Get Out
    • Split
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • It
    • Wonder Woman
    • Wonder
    • Daddy's Home 2
    • Murder on the Orient Express
    • Baby Driver
    • The Boss Baby
    • Annabelle:Creation
    • Girls Trip
    • Dunkirk
    • Jumanji
    • The Greatest Showman
    • Other

2017 was an extremely intresting year BO-wise with a big number of movies turning out to be surprising hits that no one saw coming. I thought it would be fun to declare which was actually the surprise hit of 2017 according to BOT.

P.S: Make sure to remind If any option may be missing.

*The poll will be closed in 1/11.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

IT for me. Get Out was also spectacular, but come on. IT outgrossed it in 8 days. It was a R-Rated Horror movie about a demon clown eating children and outgrossed Spider-Man: Homecoming on OW!

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 4

Get Out is close, but it has to be It.

Even if some people saw it coming, I just didn't believe that it would be possible for a R-rated horror movie to pull off that kind of performance. 70M+ OW and 200M DOM would've been nuts, and that was actually an optimistic prediction. Bigger 3-day OW than Spider-Man, Thor, Justice League, etc...... never in a million years did I think that was a possible.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

I have to go with Get Out. 175m for an original horror is just massive.

Memory might be failing me, but most didn't predict GO to do half of what it did. On the other hand, IT was based on a iconic story by a famous writer; trailer views was on the same level of top blockbusters. IT did way more than expected, sure, but it has always been expected to do a lot.

Wonder Woman is a 150m superhero tentpole based on the most iconic female superhero. 400m is great and fantastic, but we are in 2017, not 2002.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I have to go with Get Out. 175m for an original horror ip is just massive 

Memory might be failing me, but most didn't predict GO to do half of what it did. On the other hand, IT was based on a iconic story by a famous writer; trailer views was on the same level of top blockbusters. IT did way more than expected, sure, but it has always been expected to do a lot.

Wonder Woman is a 150m superhero tentpole based on the most iconic female superhero. 400m is great and fantastic, but we are in 2017, not 2002.

IT was expected to do alot AFTER the massive trailer views. I think a year ago $100m seemed like a reasonable If not optimistic number. I agree with some of your points though.

It's definetely not an easy pick.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I have to go with Get Out. 175m for an original horror is just massive.

I think the point is more people were surprised by just how many people were interested in It, e.g. trailer views. No the run was not a surprise as much once it was actually being released but it was still a proper surprise. 

31 minutes ago, Tree Billboards said:

I think the point is more people were surprised by just how many people were interested in It, e.g. trailer views. No the run was not a surprise as much once it was actually being released but it was still a proper surprise. 

The run was surprising too though. It blew away even the most optimistic predictions.

Before OW the realistic prediction was a $80m OW. No one expected it to go THAT high.

Get Out. It came from no where, and did monster business. And with less theaters, opening below every one of those movies, and it's widest was below everyone on this list's opening, outside Split. This is a movie that had less than 5M budget, with a first time director, known for his comedic work. It punched above it's weight class in so many ways, and the fact that it's 16th highest grossing movie of the year is fucking amazing.

I thought other films may have been more surprising, just not in a positive way.

• Like 2

Get Out. Should win the poll, will win the poll. It's an original property that achieved unforeseeable heights thanks to sheer power of WOM.

Runner up but still distant is IT. It had built in fanbase so success was a given. It exceeded it though.

Right behind is a toss between WW and Jumanji. Same thing but I give IT the advantage cause R rated. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

I won't submit a vote, but here is my top 5, in order, based on what I think were people's expectations:

1) Get Out:  A 5 million dollar horror film without any stars goes on to open huge and then has the audacity to have a 5.3 multiplier.  That is easily one of the most surprising runs of the last 20 years imo.

2) IT:  An R rated horror movie that makes 327 million and opens to 127 million.  There was absolutely nothing in history that you could point to that would validate these numbers.  No Stephen King story has come close to 300 million.  No Stephen King horror adaptation has even hit 75 million.  This is just flat out one of the most baffling performances I've ever been privy to following.

3) Split:  M. Night was on the rebound, but no one saw this kind of interest in the film.  The 138 total is surprising.  The 40 mill OW is even more surprising.

4) Jumanji:  I'm not surprised it's doing well.  I am really pleasantly surprised it's going to do north of 300 million.

5) Wonder:  Julia Roberts is way past her drawing power days.  Owen is not a draw. The trailers looked sappy and manipulative.  And yet it quietly made more than 110 million.  Shocking for sure.

• Like 10