the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

The only way someone could even think of claiming that that TLJ cost 800m in total ( thus 600m for marketing) is if you grossly misconstruct what Kennedy was saying, which was that they need 800m to break even.

A logical approach to that number obviously leads to the conclusion that this number already includes the fact that you only get about half the intake, thus putting the actual costs for the movie at around 400m, or roughly: 200m production, 200m marketing.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

Provide me a link then.

Here's the last place I saw it. I'll dig a bit deeper. First time I heard it it was more convincing.

https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/92024579/

Here's another.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-spirited-15-rounds.930194/post-8017418

I'll post the original comment I saw a while back if I can find the link.

Edited by TheForceuser707
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Yeah. I 'm pretty certain I know what break even means.

And when I when I say "in its third week in release that's" what I mean. Friday 5th marks the end of its third week, but is still IN its third week. Clear enough for you?

What?!?!?!? The Third week ended on Thursday the 4th. Yesterday the fourth week started, it is in the fourth week now.

43 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

First of all Miss, I'm a lot older than you and clearly better mannered. You don't address a stranger with such impertinence. But I'll allow it since the moderators here are slack.

You say TLJ had $200M production costs. Please offer a figure for its marketing and distribution costs. As you know those are separate and additional expenses.

In some cases these expenses are double the production costs, especially on globally distributed movies like this one. I've heard TLJ had total costs as high as $800M+. I've also heard that as a rule of thumb movies aim to make three times their production costs in order to break even.

So. Assuming that figure is correct: $800M, TLJ hasn't broken even yet. This of course based upon the studios recouping in this case 65% of the North American gross and far less of the overseas revenues.

Please take your time before you attempt to respond.

Thanks.

TLJ is a movie, like every other one this year. If it cost is $800M, than most big blockbuster movies would cost around $800M. If that would be true no one would distribute any big movies.

Unless you mean every single cost, for post theatrical release and all that too, but than all those need to be figured into the revenue too.

You heard? That is as unreliable and exactly the same thing you accuse all others of, having no confirmed figure.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

My friend could you cease these silly barbs of yours? 

I happen to be British. That's how we say it. Look it up.

And you don't know me so stop making silly comments as if you do. 

Fucking remarkable... the level of self delusion on display in this place.

I'm British too and while I respect your ability to take on the world.. you thought TLJ would be a great film and make over TFA dom.  Lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Solid numbers. Should be on track for about $30-35M.

They’re not solid numbers. This should’ve been bigger. No awards + no box office. Looks like it’s missed both it’s aims.

Audience officially just outright reject Idris and Chastain. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

They’re not solid numbers. This should’ve been bigger. No awards + no box office. Looks like it’s missed both it’s aims.

Could've been much worse. Think Miss Sloane 2.0.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

but chastain and sorkin are both nominated....

also very confused about the Chastain comment she's been in more financially successful films than not.

Edited by RyneOh1040

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Everyone knows I'm no Chastain fan but she's great in MG and you are wrong about awards (it has just been nominated for PGA and Chastain has a GG nom in Actress) and the boxoffice (it's a solid number from 1600+ theaters considering adult market competition form the Darkest Hour, TSOW,etc). So I have no agenda to give the movie props on either account, just stating the facts. It isn't awards DOA and the boxoffice is fine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Here's the last place I saw it. I'll dig a bit deeper. First time I heard it it was more convincing.

https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/92024579/

Here's another.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-spirited-15-rounds.930194/post-8017418

I'll post the original comment I saw a while back if I can find the link.

I stand corrected. A bunch of nerds on a website says the budget is 800 million so it must be true. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

Well, I'm convinced guys. If 4Chan said it, it MUST be true. 

That wasn't where I saw the thing originally. That's what I just said right?

And anyway even if it were true they'd never admit it, so don't be so cynical about it.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/3k5qvj/star-wars-the-last-jedi-vice-review

Here's another.

Edited by TheForceuser707

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Everyone knows I'm no Chastain fan but she's great in MG and you are wrong about awards (it has just been nominated for PGA and Chastain has a GG nom in Actress) and the boxoffice (it's a solid number from 1600+ theaters considering adult market competition form the Darkest Hour, TSOW,etc). So I have no agenda to give the movie props on either account, just stating the facts. It isn't awards DOA and the boxoffice is fine.

totally agree.  it's not like it has an easy hook for the GA and with Sorkin/Chastain GG noms I feel like it's solid.

Just now, RyneOh1040 said:

but chastain and sorkin are both nominated....

also very confused about the Chastain comment she's been in more financially successful films than not.

That she was the main star in?

The awful Miss Sloane could not not bombed any harder.