baumer

Phantom Thread (2017)

Grade it  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

No one else has seen this yet? Huh.

Phantom Thread continues writer-director (and cinematographer this time out) Paul Thomas Anderson’s run as one of the most singular voices in film today. It’s an oddity that admittedly loses just a little bit of steam after it surpasses the 90-minute mark, but Anderson’s direction is intoxicating as ever. Each frame is crafted meticulously, and Anderson hasn’t lost a step in his skill in clear, powerful visual storytelling that tells viewers more than just the dialogue can convey. I must also admit that I never expected the director of such wholly masculine fare as There Will Be Blood and The Master to make a film that places such visual and dramatic emphasis on an array of gorgeous dresses. Much attention has fallen upon Daniel Day-Lewis’s retirement announcement; if this performance does indeed mark his swan song (which I strongly doubt it will), it’s an admirable goodbye. As always, Day-Lewis disappears into the role so deeply that it’s hard to believe that he’s the same man who played the wildly different characters in the rest of his oeuvre. He’s subtly startling in other scenes, markedly eccentric in others, and perilously vulnerable in others yet. In the face of such a giant of the craft, it would be easy for other performances to suffer by comparison, but Vicky Krieps and Lesley Manville are also quite noteworthy. Krieps delivers a strong breakthrough performance that trades off audience expectations that she will be a deer in the headlights so well that her gradual shift into turning Woodcock’s psychological and emotional abuse back against him feels genuinely surprising. Manville also gets her share of deliciously venomous moments as Woodcock’s confidant and chief enabler. Like most of Anderson’s other work, Phantom Thread is a beautiful, complex film that demands its audience’s full attention and consideration, but rewards patient viewers with rich ideas and sumptuous imagery.

A-

• Like 2

A lovely film about a truly poisonous love. Paul Thomas Anderson's attention to detail is impeccable, and it's also funnier than movies like this usually are. Daniel Day-Lewis is excellent as always; this would be a very fitting conclusion to his career if it really is his final movie. He is no less matched by the revelatory Vicky Krieps and a similarly-terrific Lesley Manville. The entire design of the film is flawless too, including a memorable score from Johnny Greenwood. This is easy to recommend even if 1950s fashion isn't your sort of thing. B+

A boring film about a character I didn't like or have any empathy to.  I fail to see how anyone could fall in love with this man.  he's rude, crude, obnoxious, mean, egotistical, selfish and never cares about anyone else's feelings.  He's also ridiculously thin for a man who scarfs down bacon, eggs, sausage, oats and all kinds of creams, at breakfast.  

In order to care about the film or the characters you are watching, there has to be something to draw you in.  There has to be something for you to care about.  I didn't care at all for Woodcock and his aristocratic woe is me...pity me because I'm a moody genius...life, at all.  I was wishing him to die so that the film would end and I could leave.

DDL is still fantastic in it and I do agree that he deserves his oscar nomination.  Lesley Manville does as well.  The acting in this is amazing.  I could make a case for Vicky Krieps being nominated as well.  

Still, the film is a let down.

6/10

"I’m admiring my own gallantry for eating it the way you prepared it."

It's fab. One of the funniest movies of 2017. Pauly Tee Andy gone done did it again. I'm honestly struggling to think of any flaws in it. Everyone bought their a-game out for this.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, aabattery said:

It's fab. One of the funniest movies of 2017. Pauly Tee Andy gone done did it again. I'm honestly struggling to think of any flaws in it. Everyone bought their a-game out for this.

The scene early on where Alma is buttering her toast very loudly to the major annoyance of Reynolds had me laughing harder than most actual comedies from throughout the year did in their entire running times.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The scene early on where Alma is buttering her toast very loudly to the major annoyance of Reynolds had me laughing harder than most actual comedies from throughout the year did in their entire running times.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aabattery said:

The tea is leaving but THE INTERRUPTION IS STAYING RIGHT HERE WITH ME

• Like 1

9/10, A

Wow.
What a supposedly simple story, and so much tension! Filmmaking at its finest - the score, the framing, the rhythm are excellent, but at the core we have acting at its finest from the two leads. While Daniel Day-Lewis needs no introduction. Vicky Krieps is the true revelation here - it's her first international production (I think) and her role is the complete opposite of the one in "The Chambermaid Lynn" where she first caught my eye, but her play is equally mesmerising. We'll never see her in an action blockbuster I guess; hers is a play of face and stance, and she draws you in like few others. In fact, "Phantom Thread" would make a nice double feature with "Lynn" - where the "plot" sees the titular girl just beginning to develop some sense of self-worth and finally daring to make her own decisions - in "Phantom Thread", Alma is a full-fledged force of nature, forcing herself into the Woodcock household and finally whittling down Day-Lewis' driven Reynolds to manageable size and form while keeping peace with his difficult sister (a very silent but intense performance by Lesley Manville).
Another movie which imposes itself as a double feature with Phantom Thread, by the way, would be "Professor Marston and the Wonder Women" - since Phantom Thread exemplifies Marston's idiosyncratic worldview whereas happiness for the modern man is to be found in the submission to a loving and wise woman.

The real triumph of Phantom Thread lies in the fact that it manages to make the strange relationship between Alma and Reynolds believable despite the extremes of silliness and brutality and tenderness it goes through. Highly recommended!

• Like 2

Surprised by how much I liked this. Definitely threw me for a loop at some points, but great performances and so beautiful to watch. Loved the score as well. Alma scared me a bit but I was on her side the whole movie, actually cheering for her pretty messed up actions lol. Vicky Krieps had a terrific and commanding performance. My first PTA movie. Now I have to watch the rest to see what all the fuss is about with him. A

Edited by Deja23
  • Like 3

Phantom Thread is a remarkably exquisite film. Building brilliantly to its climax, it starts slow but hits hard by the end. A complex love story that I know will require multiple viewings for me to fully appreciate, its best asset is its humor, which is always biting and real. Day-Lewis, Kreips, and Manville all play their parts brilliantly, and Anderson’s stamp is felt over the whole endeavor. Greenwood’s score is absolutely lovely, and overwhelming in the sheer emotion it expresses. More than anything, Phantom Thread feels unique, a film unlike any other despite sharing similarities with several ancestors. It’s a remarkable achievement and an utter delight to watch. I cannot wait to revisit it. A