filmlover

BAFTA Nominations

It isn't about crossover as much as it's about perception of who is in it to win it. People like to vote for perceived winners. So LB and GO getting shut out moves them from "In it to win it" to "also run" and that's not the best place to be in. They are going to lock BP noms, but it isn't super safe for both directors because there's no consensus that they should make the line-up. Rihgt now, DGA is their hope since both missed GG and BAFTA director nods. 

Edited by Valonqar

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The last three BP winners to be snubbed at BAFTA were Million Dollar Baby (which was ineligible), Braveheart, and Dances with Wolves. I don't know how you look at those stats and think Lady Bird or Get Out are significantly ahead of 3B.

Didn't even know MDB was ineligible, that definitely is a major blow to Get Out and LB.  If 3B starts winning some of the guilds awards, then it's a done deal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Lady Bird and Get Out both took hits. I'd say Three Billboards is probably winning best picture, but will see. 

The Post (if it was seen & eligible) took a really big one also 0 mention, has good is the subject and interesting City of Ghost is by moment, it was terrible film making....

The only actors to hit all the precursors in Lead category are Oldman, Kaluuya, and Timmy T. DDL is most certainly safe as well. It's the last spot that gives me a headache: I'd like to say Franco (especially after that Golden Globe win) but...I dunno. Maybe Hanks just gets in in the end on account that his film is a Best Picture nominee?

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I remember quite clearly people telling La La Land was the biggest lock in a decade.

I suppose it would be better not to rush. I still think Lady Bird is getting this.

To be fair, the race wasn't anywhere nearly as cluttered and open last year as it is this year.

• Like 4

I think this'll be at least a little beneficial to Darkest Hour. It's Best Picture change probably increased slightly, and it may have secured an extra tech him outside of the gimme Makeup nom. We'll see.

I, Tonya is peaking at the right time, so I agree that it could very well be a Best Picture nominee.

I mean, I'm not gonna declare "Three Billboards is a lock for Best Picture" (especially with the way things have been unfolding this year), but the statistics are pretty hard to argue against. Then again, this could be another 2015 where it's all about throwing out the statistics. This awards season has been reminding me of that one tbh.

why are we underestimating I,Tonya ? it hit almost everything up until now and screen play and both actress are everywhere 

it's only lagging behind the top 5 

as for the post I think it could end up Silence'd but then again the academy has a huge soft spot for Bergyman 

Just now, BardCrank said:

why are we underestimating I,Tonya ? it hit almost everything up until now and screen play and both actress are everywhere 

it's only lagging behind the top 5 

as for the post I think it could end up Silence'd but then again the academy has a huge soft spot for Bergyman 

And it's even hitting in places like Costume Design here (wouldn't surprise me if it ends up nominated - it does an A+ job of recreating her skating outfits). I think it's safe as the consensus 7 for a nomination at this point.

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, the race wasn't anywhere nearly as cluttered and open last year as it is this year.

I am not saying that considering La La Land the big favourite was unjustified. It was 100% rational and that makes the surprise even more meaningful so I don't realise why we would have to jump the gun so early.

52 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I remember quite clearly people telling La La Land was the biggest lock in a decade.

I suppose it would be better not to rush. I still think Lady Bird is getting this.

yes but you see , it's rivals ( Manchester by the Sea and Moonlight ) did not miss anything , literally anything 

it was winning over them but they were nominated everywhere  LLL was ( not just picture but also director and screen play ) so yours is not an apples to apples tbf