Eric Duncan

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

Just a few seconds but what a downgrade for Bernardo. 

Yeah, I know George Chakiris was of Greek decent but he was SMOKING HOT as Bernardo and easily the most compelling man in the film as Morena was the most compelling woman. Deserving Oscar winners.

(trivia he was cast by Jerome Robbins as Riff for the London production of WSS -  but was considered too dark complexioned for Riff for the film so they gave him Bernardo)

On 9/15/2021 at 12:43 PM, filmlover said:

Impossible. We already know this particular musical actually works on film.

It worked in 1962 ;not so sure about this version.

And I can name a number of films that worked the first time around but failed when remade.

I still Maintain Spielberg should have picked a great stage musical that had a dissapointing film version, rather then one that had a superb, in fact Oscar winning version. 

I think you really have a generational gap here.,,,with those of us who grew up with the Robert Wise version being a lot more skeptical than the younger genration who are unfamiliar with it.

55 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I am a little worried. In the Heights bombed in the summer. This has pedigree with Spielberg at the helm, but i don't know if people are in the mood for a musical in these pandemic times.

And, he is doing a remake of a classic movie. That is always risky.

23 minutes ago, Eric Venkman said:

Snicker GIF - Snickers LOL - Discover & Share GIFs

Imagine if they completely changed the ending that everyone's known for 60+ years to give the "but why does this exist?" crowd something to chew on (even though Spielberg and Kushner have stated that they based their version on the original stage production more than the movie).

Edited by filmlover
  • Astonished 1