Eric Duncan

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

8 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

;'Thus fulfilling the prophecy:

bpbNRHH.jpg

People cannot even comprehend what THE SIXTH SENSE and SIGNS total with inflation. 

Edited by excel1

Some snippets of the Jet song and I think one of the latter half tony-maria duets. They sound good and Spielberg seems really passionate about it, but it still feels a little pointless imo. It looks like it's gonna be extremely close to the original in almost everything.

A handful of IMAX theaters near me have posted showtimes for this that will be on sale soon (assuming tickets will be going on sale after the first reactions drop on Monday following the screenings) so an announcement for the format appears to be imminent. Funny to think that this will probably end up playing on more IMAX/PLF screens than The Matrix overall thanks to the fact that this is opening right before the Spider-Man chaos cause that's locking in PLFs throughout the holidays for all day at a lot of theaters near me that have their showtimes about to go on sale up (at least ones with only one giant screen).

On 11/24/2021 at 6:47 PM, Joel M said:

Some snippets of the Jet song and I think one of the latter half tony-maria duets. They sound good and Spielberg seems really passionate about it, but it still feels a little pointless imo. It looks like it's gonna be extremely close to the original in almost everything.

I still don't understand why if he clearly sees how it's still relevant today why he didn't modernize it if not to make it fresher then at least to differentiate it from an existing masterpiece.

Also, always interesting and a bit disorientating to realize the West Side they're fighting over is mainly where Lincoln Center and Fordham Law School now stand amid very expensive apts.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A West Side Story set in 2021 honestly wouldn't work because it would just consist of all the characters feuding on Twitter for 150+ minutes with little dramatic tension. Keeping it a period piece is the way to go.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't work, someone could have an interesting take on it. But I'm certain Spielberg would never make it. There's been talk for a couple of years that most big directors stopped making movies set in the present the moment social media/internet became a huge part of everyday life. Scorsese,Spielberg,PTA, Wes, Tarantino haven't made a contemporary movie in 15 years and even others that have like Fincher and Nolan, are also slowly going period.

• Like 1