Eric Loves Rey

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The premiere of the film today pretty much turned into a Sondheim tribute with a long speech by Speilberg.

I supect they are scrambeling to try to find some way of paying a final tribute to Sondheim in the film, Don't know if that is possible, though, given how little time there is.

nah i was at the premiere they've already added all of the characters waving goodbye to a CG sondheim in the final scene.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

nah i was at the premiere they've already added all of the characters waving goodbye to a CG sondheim in the final scene.

That was soine damn fast work, if you are not kidding.

Though I think a simple "TO Stephan" at the start or finish would have been better.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:44 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Box office aside, why did anyone doubt this? Of course Spielberg would deliver with a musical 

Idk, I still think the footage we’ve seen feels like it offers nothing that we can’t already see in the 1961 movie. Maybe there’s some surprises but it gives major “what’s the point of this?” vibes.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Idk, I still think the footage we’ve seen feels like it offers nothing that we can’t already see in the 1961 movie. Maybe there’s some surprises but it gives major “what’s the point of this?” vibes.

At this point I’m mostly rooting for it on principle. We’ve had a long stretch of moving musicals that have not done well, critically and/or commercially. The genre really needs a success.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 4:44 AM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Box office aside, why did anyone doubt this? Of course Spielberg would deliver with a musical 

I didn't doubt the quality, I just doubt the interest.

On 11/30/2021 at 3:44 PM, SpiderByte said:

Large portions of the movie are apparently Spanish with no subtitles. 

Also I don't get the point of this (hoping it changes in the final release)? Your film isn't more genuine because a chunk of the audience don't understand portions of it. I even watch English movies with subtitles a lot of the time. For a film that already didn't need to exist I'm not sure it helps sell it idk.

Edited by thedast

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Gotta say i find it funny that critics blasted Ghostbusters: Afterlife for nostalgia overload, while they give this remake glowing reviews...

I think Ghostbusters Afterlife’s problem was fan-service wink wink remember this?! type stuff, rather than nostalgia. 

And a film version of a stage musical isn’t really nostalgic. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Gotta say i find it funny that critics blasted Ghostbusters: Afterlife for nostalgia overload, while they give this remake glowing reviews...

If they called it East Side Story, and keept referencing West Side Story, and bringing characters from the original as a nostalgia bait, then it would be a fair comparison.

8 hours ago, Cap said:

At this point I’m mostly rooting for it on principle. We’ve had a long stretch of moving musicals that have not done well, critically and/or commercially. The genre really needs a success.

I like Spielberg and the genre so I hope it does well. But I can’t help but wish something like In the Heights would have gotten the hype this is getting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I like Spielberg and the genre so I hope it does well. But I can’t help but wish something like In the Heights would have gotten the hype this is getting.

In The Heights going from 100 to 0 real quick was the most depressing event of the year. Total lock for more disappointing box office run. Like the cliff that went off, damn; almost makes me wonder if it was WSS hit job to clear them out of the Oscar race 😂😂😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

In the Heights had hype though, and in retrospect had a decent box office as well.

Wouldn't call it "decent," but it certainly did better than all HBO Max movies outside of GvK and Dune. 

Edited by tonytr87