filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

My own disagreement is Darkest Hour. Take away Oldman's incredible performance, and you have a pretty mediocre film.

Oldman is fully deserving of his  Best Actor nomination, but the film does not deserve best picture. And I am a huge World War Two buff, and should have been a bias in favor of the film.....

It's a great performance in an otherwise routine film.

Agree, I was actually rooting for old man for the 1st best actor winner that not in the BP nominees since 2009, now we need to wait.....and with no best directing nor best screen play nomination, I would assume they barely pass the bar

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

sorry for like my 5th post on here but I was gone all day and missed THE RANKINGS

1. The Shape of Water
  2. Phantom Thread
  3. Three Billboards
  4. Lady Bird
  5. Get Out
  6. Dunkirk
  7. The Post
  8. Darkest Hour

planning on seeing Call Me by Your Name this weekend so that's cool.

I can't remember when was the last time that We have 2 BP nominees that missed out in both best direting and best screenplay

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

And all for the same role too. Not sure if that's the only kind of character she can effectively play or if those are the only roles she can get, but if she gets another nom it better be for something different next time. 

I dunno, I wouldn't say her role in The Shape of Water (the only warm and compassionate friend in Hawkins' life aside from the Jenkins character) is the same as the shit pie-making sassy maid in The Help or Dorothy Vaughn. That kinda reinforces the nasty stereotype that all black roles are the same.

• Like 1

Speaking of Tom Hanks, I'm convinced he's never getting nominated again. They've had a handful of opportunities to do so since his famous Captain Phillips snub, and didn't bite. Clearly Denzel has become the male actor who can get in based on name alone even in a flop that nobody saw or liked (as we just saw).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm just glad nothing like Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures, or even Lion (fuck that second half) was nominated. Give me Darkest Hour over any of that (7/10) crap.

Hidden Figures and Lion were much better than Darkest Hour. 

• Like 3

Hanks probably was never that big of an Academy darling despite his back-to-back wins. Even in his prime he got just five nominations and they were all for his most iconic hits and Philadelphia which was groundbreaking for its time. He didn't got nominated for Apollo 13 despite the movie being a BP conteder and Green Mile was also a top5 academy movie, and they were both huge hits.