La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

20 hours ago, harrycaul said:

Yes, this is indeed the box office forum. Not the critical review forum.

And audiences don't seem to like this movie, so it's going to do poorly at the box office. Has nothing to do with quality. It rarely does.

8.2 on imdb - "Audiences don't seem to like this movie". Again we are here to have an informed opinion about box office results and predictions. So base what you write on something, not event facts because you wrote without reading anything about the movie and are now afraid to admit you were wrong. You are just another person who assumes since it's a24 that it's a movie like "it comes at night". Yeah and Aquaman will be like Battlefield Earth since both are from Warner...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

That's right...rankings...

The Witch

Hereditary

It Comes at Night

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Killing of aSacred deer is a masterpiece in screenwriting and very good directing. It's miles above it comes at night. 

9 hours ago, Lavochkin said:

It's hard to be positive towards US viewers.

29 minutes ago, norbar said:

8.2 on imdb - "Audiences don't seem to like this movie". Again we are here to have an informed opinion about box office results and predictions. So base what you write on something, not event facts because you wrote without reading anything about the movie and are now afraid to admit you were wrong. You are just another person who assumes since it's a24 that it's a movie like "it comes at night". Yeah and Aquaman will be like Battlefield Earth since both are from Warner...

OK, fact then. D+ Cinemascore. Absolutely awful result.

People in a professional survey didn't like it.

Why is everyone so defensive about this movie?  Bizarre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harrycaul said:

OK, fact then. D+ Cinemascore. Absolutely awful result.

People in a professional survey didn't like it.

Why is everyone so defensive about this movie?  Bizarre.

No one is defensive except you. We just don't agree with you. Also you know really little about Cinemascore and profesional surveys if you think Cinemascore is really a strong measure. The basic grade we see it a very low sample size simplistic measure. 

Edited by norbar

14 minutes ago, norbar said:

No one is defensive except you. We just don't agree with you. Also you know really little about Cinemascore and profesional surveys if you think Cinemascore is really a strong measure. The basic grade we see it a very low sample size simplistic measure. 

I see how this "informed discussion" about box office is going to go once people want to toss out the Cinemascore.

Outta here.

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I do believe many of these ditectors would be more assured with their second feature. It's pretty odd that most of these if not all were the first feature length for each filmmaker.

Sacred Deer is an outstanding pitch black comedy. Not much of a horror. Not really it's goal to be horror either.

The thing is...its not funny either. 

To everyone who dug this, or really looking forward to it: really recommend checking out all 6 of Aster's short films he made before this

https://www.avclub.com/hooked-on-hereditary-s-spooky-power-check-out-director-1826571644

Some deeply twisted, pitch-black funny, very well-done stuff in there. Increased my appreciation of the guy. Basically and Munchausen are my favorites but they're all worth it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

The thing is...its not funny either. 

This. There's only so much mud a comedy can trudge through before it crosses a line and drowns in it. I've never seen the film, but I have read about it on Common Sense Media, and I have to say, I don't think there's anything remotely about it, with the sole exception possibly being the way Barry Keoghan eats spaghetti.

3 minutes ago, Slambros said:

This. There's only so much mud a comedy can trudge through before it crosses a line and drowns in it. I've never seen the film, but I have read about it on Common Sense Media, and I have to say, I don't think there's anything remotely about it, with the sole exception possibly being the way Barry Keoghan eats spaghetti.

How do you know the way he eats spaghetti if you've never seen it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

To everyone who dug this, or really looking forward to it: really recommend checking out all 6 of Aster's short films he made before this

https://www.avclub.com/hooked-on-hereditary-s-spooky-power-check-out-director-1826571644

Some deeply twisted, pitch-black funny, very well-done stuff in there. Increased my appreciation of the guy. Basically and Munchausen are my favorites but they're all worth it. 

Watched yesterday. Interesting stuff. Certainly looks to shock and disturb with a fierce energy.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, norbar said:

Also you know really little about Cinemascore and profesional surveys if you think Cinemascore is really a strong measure. The basic grade we see it a very low sample size simplistic measure. 

It is quite a high sample size for what it is trying to measure, if it would be a true random and representative sample of that size it would be extremelly good.

Certainly better than the extremelly non random sample that are the online survey with willing and active participant like IMDB. That the imdb crowd like this movie (at least before it hit home video and overreach is more natural audience) or the critics is not a big surprise.