Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

Top Gun has barely started full production. Tom Cruise has been doing press for Mission Impossible for the past month and castings were still being announced a week ago. Cruise's tweet announcing start of production a few months ago was only preliminary shooting. The rumor is referring to something else, probably Dark Phoenix.

Edited by John Marston

A Cruise film is not complete without copious running. Jogging to his jet to sit in a cockpit for most of the film will not do, therefore I insist they invent some rocket boots so he can run around during the flight scenes.

Edited by Ithil

If this is releasing in 2020 then Cruise has no project lined up for 2019. First time after many years hes missed a year without movies. But he compensated last year by doing 2 (The Mummy and American Made).:thinking: Wish he signs some movie which will release by end of next year curious to see whats his upcoming projects just like Leo!!!

Who is directing this film? McQuarrie or Kosinski? It's hard to tell at this point. We all know McQ has been a script doctor and ghost director for decades now. That is quite the power combo for the score, too. Faltemeyer and Zimmer? Holy sh...

I get the chills just thinking about seeing that Paramount logo opening to the remastered OG Faltermeyer theme on the big screen.

Edited by ThePhasmid

15 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Who is directing this film? McQuarrie or Kosinski? It's hard to tell at this point. We all know McQ has been a script doctor and ghost director for decades now. That is quite the power combo for the score, too. Faltemeyer and Zimmer? Holy sh...

Exactly what I was going to say.  Sure seems like McQuarrie may be "ghost directing" or "creative consulting" this thing...

Edited by Macleod

3 hours ago, divinity83 said:

Ugh. I want Tom and Chris to take a break from each other.

Sorry, but I don’t get the Chris McQuarrie thing. His writing is very cheesy to me.

Lies and fallacies...

Anyway, Mcquarrie is not involved in this in any way. He just took some pictures with the planes.  He said on twitter he has a new project he's working on

I'm fairly certain that new project he was alluding to was TG2. McQ has stated they've collaborated on 9 films together. It's safe to assume he's contributing to TG2 in some capacity.

In a recent interview with Collider, McQ is attempting to green-light a remake of a film that would star Rebecca Ferguson but the studio isn't calling him back because it isn't "a slam dunk". And FWIW the studio in question is Fox, i.e., they're currently undergoing a merger with Disney so that complicates matters even further. And MI7 hasn't been announced yet because Cruise and Paramount have asked McQ to return but he's taking a breather and has told them he'll think about it. Personally, I don't think he's returning for MI7. They should hire a new director to begin prep as Cruise isn't getting any younger.

As for whether Cruise and McQ should take a break: I agree. I'd rather McQ work on something other than an action film. Cruise's choices of late have been very safe. Or he may have realized audiences are more receptive to his presence when he's acting in films with a heightened reality. American Made seemed to have come and gone without much notice. But that said, their partnership has literally revived their respective careers in large part due to the success of EoT. Cruise's, let's say idiosyncrasies, are tolerated by the GA now and McQ is out of director's jail. It's a win-win for the both of them, and so if they continue working together, they have my blessing.