Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nothing bizarre about calling a movie economic and efficient, espescially when so many movies today are filled with bloat. It's just what sets it apart from any of the other modern films people try to compare it with.

It's no more economic or efficient than films like TDK or Edge of tomorrow which dont have a wasted scene. Fury Road has a simple plot and is very well made, comparable with something like Gravity to me wheras a film like TDK is not only well made but has a great plot to go with it that really sets it apart to most action films.

Edited by Tarintino
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Fury Road is a masterclass in 'Show, don't tell.'

And that's why these movies can be enjoyed in black & white version with no dialogue audio. Very pure enjoyment like Chaplin & Buster Keaton stuffs. Many filmmakers nowadays only know putting limitless tricks by overqualified concepts and immoderate VFX.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tarintino said:

It's no more economic or efficient than films like TDK or Edge of tomorrow which dont have a wasted scene. 

Fury Road is efficient beyond just scenes. It's a film that doesn't have a wasted image or wasted cut. And I don't remember much about Edge of Tomorrow but TDK does have wasted scenes lmao.

• Like 1

Fury road is a masterclass of crafting. Movies is a visual/audio storytelling, not a novel. Fury road test a director capability to craft a thin story into marvellous technical achievements. To me thin story is harder to craft and direct sometime simply because there was too little material to begin with.

Just imagine a chef was given a very little set or ordinary ingredients to cook but somehow managed to defy and avoid the dish from going unmemorable. So don’t complain about if a movie has little plot., it is all down with the director who man the show and craft. If I want a good story, I can just read screenplay without the need to making it into a movie.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tarintino said:

It's no more economic or efficient than films like TDK or Edge of tomorrow which dont have a wasted scene. Fury Road has a simple plot and is very well made, comparable with something like Gravity to me wheras a film like TDK is not only well made but has a great plot to go with it that really sets it apart to most action films.

TDK is filled with clunky dialogue explaining in needless detail what the story is about and the action scenes feel like they're cut together without a plan in prep. It's definitely not as economical and efficient as Fury Road lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

TDK is filled with clunky dialogue explaining in needless detail what the story is about

Not true, dialogues in Nolan's Batman films are usually very good, day and night better than dialogues in many other superhero flicks.

• Like 1

Fury Road puts every other action-heavy film of the modern era to shame. The combination of the colors, the music, the practical stunt work with minimal VFX, the performances and the often lack (!) of dialogue make it so immersive and epic.

I like to refer to it as an action opera. Theres not single thing wrong with the film.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Fury Road is efficient beyond just scenes. It's a film that doesn't have a wasted image or wasted cut. And I don't remember much about Edge of Tomorrow but TDK does have wasted scenes lmao.

The final chase is devoid of any tension and goes on far too long for a movie which doesn't have a wasted scene. Maybe if George didn't try being so efficient we'd have had atleast 1 character to actually care for. 

6 hours ago, Orestes said:

Fury Road is a masterclass in 'Show, don't tell.'

It's a bit like Dunkirk in that respect which too had high critical acclaim but again left me caring for none of the characters. All personal preference I guess

9 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

The final chase is devoid of any tension and goes on far too long for a movie which doesn't have a wasted scene. Maybe if George didn't try being so efficient we'd have had atleast 1 character to actually care for. 

It's a bit like Dunkirk in that respect which too had high critical acclaim but again left me caring for none of the characters. All personal preference I guess

No, it's not really much like Dunkirk (which, goes more into abstract territory). And that final chase (it's more like 3 chases really) that "goes on far too long" and" devoid of tension" is what made people care for the characters (along with the previous chase sequences). Not my problem that you were expecting characters to go on monologues for you to care about them instead of the emphasis on gestures, close-ups, and cutting like with this.

33 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Not true, dialogues in Nolan's Batman films are usually very good, day and night better than dialogues in many other superhero flicks.

I agree, and yet it still feels the need to explain all the thematic nuance of the film in words because it doesn't feel confident enough in itself that we'd understand what's going on without it.

3 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Ok, back to Top Gun.

At Worlds End is sweating cannonballs right now. Memorial Day Weekend record is looking more reachable day after day.

So what’s the best that Top Gun: Maverick can do at the box office on Opening Day & Opening Weekend, to beat Pirates 3’s Memorial Day Weekend record?

10 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Fury Road is very overrated , it barely has a plot or dialog , its looks pretty , and would make a great short film  , but was mindbogglingly bored after the first half hour, its just a 2 hour car chase

Phew what a take

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

So what’s the best that Top Gun: Maverick can do at the box office on Opening Day & Opening Weekend, to beat Pirates 3’s Memorial Day Weekend record?

"The best" is honestly totally up in the air. I very mich doubt we will see any kind of big frontloading for it, even with the great presales numbers so far.

Memorial Day weekend might be the most fun to follow a movies opening this year so far.