WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 16 if you care): Jumanji 10.9M | Maze Runner 10.5M | Winchester 9.3M | Showman 7.7M | The Post 5.3M | Hostiles 5.2M

Man, I was not happy when Dear John broke out because: a.) it got the distinction of being the movie to end Avatar's epic reign at #1 (not that Valentine's Day - which I thankfully never bothered with seeing at any point in its existence - would have been a better film to own that designation) and b.) as I suspected just from seeing the trailer, it was several different kinds of terrible all at once. If you'd told me after seeing that movie that Channing Tatum would generate a fair amount of critical acclaim in the years to follow, I would have looked at you like you were tripping major ballsack (21 Jump Street reference intended).

But yeah, Super Bowl weekend is a killer, save for a one-in-a-million anomaly like Taken that went on to be huge despite opening against the worst possible competition for a manly action movie. The last time Super Bowl weekend was really interesting was three years ago when all eyes were on American Sniper after its unbelievable first two weekends, and then the Super Bowl killed the momentum that looked like it would carry the film to the record domestic gross for an R-rated film.

• Like 1

Tickets sold today at my theater (* indicates a reduced slate of shows):

Winchester: 135

Hostiles: 135

Maze Runner: 88 (the early afternoon show only sold one seat)

Showman: 82

12 Strong: 81

Jumanji: 68 (33 2D/35 3D)

The Post: 65

Den of Thieves: 48

Shape of Water: 46*

Forever My Girl: 46*

I, Tonya: 37

Phantom Thread: 33

Three Billboards: 26* (this was a single showing too)

Coco: 8*

My theater is probably praying they aren't in two week contracts on Tonya and Phantom Thread :lol: 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I keep forgetting Jumanji is in 3D. Even my town, which is really good about giving two token 3D showtimes on a screen for at least the first week, never ran it in 3D.

My AMC is the only place in Central Florida that still has 3D showings for it; everyone else dropped 3D like three or four weeks ago. Makes me pretty embarrassed :gold: It's also one of the reasons I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Maybe I’m officially desensitized. Maybe all of my fears have been tested. I don’t know whats wrong. I like horror movies, and I get scared quite easily. Usually, in horror movies, even the bad ones, I tend to have my fingers in my ears or hands over my eyes. Maybe I’ve accomplished all of my fears that horror movie don’t even scare me anymore.

Or maybe—

Just maybe —

This movie blows.

Here's my review of Winchester: http://rendyreviews.com/movies//winchester-review

Edited by rjones1325
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Impact said:

Gee how much would of The Greatest Showman have made if it was a BP nominee?

Kind of a moot point to speculate since it never stood any chance at all at a BP nom, unless it were a different film. In which case it wouldn't be doing what it is at the box office.

Just now, New Year New Panda said:

I don’t think it’s that you can’t open strong on Super Bowl Sunday.  I think it’s more, if you have a good/marketable movie you’re better off just opening it a week later.

Valentine's Day/President's Day is a much more desired time to open a movie (something Black Panther will only further cement).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Valentine's Day/President's Day is a much more desired time to open a movie (something Black Panther will only further cement).

Yeah, there’s no reason to open a movie you’re not dumping on Super Bowl weekend

February's pretty much about 1-2 movies and nothing else. It really is more of a "dumping ground" month than January.

January was basically the month of Jumanji and Showman making money. The two movies overshadowed everything.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

At least March looks like a pretty exciting month. Plenty of stuff with potential along with plenty of stuff that scream "obvious bomb" (looking at you, Tomb Raider and Pacific Rim 2).

WiT and maybe RPO have potential. Eveything else is going to be pretty unexciting.