WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 16 if you care): Jumanji 10.9M | Maze Runner 10.5M | Winchester 9.3M | Showman 7.7M | The Post 5.3M | Hostiles 5.2M

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

One always knew the JL-Thor3 combo was gonna take a toll on the mods. Tele has a seen a lot as sheriff, but those threads were too much. Like Tom Bell in No Country for Old Men (no pun intended).

nocountry-ending.jpeg?token=%2BDqy4gAsJP

• Like 2

looks like next week will see the depletion of 11,000 screens from new product + an additional 5500 screens gone.  The only way it will probably be less than an additional minus 5500 screens is if some of the awards ones like Phantom Thread continue to expand.  Most likely, all the awards movies will do great on Saturday, and then loose half the theaters next week but still manage to post a good Sunday number (next week, no super bowl and half the screens = same sunday # as this week when Sundays drop about 66.6% from Saturday, or sometimes even from half of the Friday #.  It looks like The Post should increase 75% tomorrow, and then drop to about half of what it does today.  Greatest Showman should be like 60% of Friday, min.

Edited by Matrix4You

40 minutes ago, Just Tele said:

:winomg: 

OOH WOO IM A REBEL JUST FOR KICKS NOW

I BEEN FEELING IT SINCE 1966 NOW

if tele were to sing this, would be even be allowed to say 1966 or would be have to say 1866...1766...1066

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

looks like next week will see the depletion of 11,000 screens from new product + an additional 5500 screens gone.  The only way it will probably be less than an additional minus 5500 screens is if some of the awards ones like Phantom Thread continue to expand.  Most likely, all the awards movies will do great on Saturday, and then loose half the theaters next week but still manage to post a good Sunday number (next week, no super bowl and half the screens = same sunday # as this week when Sundays drop about 66.6% from Saturday, or sometimes even half the Friday #.  It looks like The Post should increase 75% tomorrow, and then drop to about half of what it does today.  Greatest Showman should be like 60% of Friday, min.

If Peter Rabbit does not go all crazy like Lego Batman, then mmaybe there will be less damage to the theater count drops.  Super Bowl weekend is usually the max out for theater counts. Each weekend throughout January, you get a bunch of non-event films and expansions, and theaters wanting to hold onto all kinds of good stuff for fun.   The total theater counts just keep growing until Super Bowl weekend, then it stays level.  Last year, it got to be 47,000 and this year it should bust way past that.  someone could add all the TC's, because my calculator is broken.  Week after Super Bowl gets the Valentine's Day product of 10,000 theater counts + extra.  42,000 would be the number to look for next weekend.  But if this weekend goes to 48 or 49 thousand, then there goes excess screens and all our favorite movies this weekend get pummeled this weekend and are in discount theaters the week after.  However, like the first statement, if Peter Rabbit does not go crazy, then more screens for different films will stay.  I could see Fifty Shades Freed getting alot more prints than the one last year.  I think last year was like underestimated and it sold out the nation during night time.  Double those prints (except no one will show up next week for #3).

Edited by Matrix4You

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Peter Rabbit looks like one of the most insulting movies to come out in quite some time.  Emoji Movie looks tame in comparison

Has the embargo dropped for Peter Rabbit? The problem with SPA is that they seem to be throwing ideas to the wall and sees what sticks and sometimes it works and other times it really doesn't! Why do they need 3-4 films a year, why not just 2 films and improve the quality

• Like 2

Peter Rabbit should do good next weekend. Gnomeo & Juliet was dumped by Disney in this slot seven years ago and made almost $100M, so this should have no problem taking advantage of a similarly empty marketplace.

Speaking of next week's releases, does anyone actually care that we have one more Fifty Shades movie to go? I feel that sinks into the mid-$30M range and misses $100M by a fair bit. 15:17 to Paris will likely be Clint's lowest-grossing film since Letters from Iwo Jima.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Super Bowl weekend is a pretty famous dumping ground. Only movie released this weekend that ever really took off was the first Taken (which itself was a studio dump because a leaked version of it had been online for a while).

Not really a leak since it was released a year before in France.

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Speaking of next week's releases, does anyone actually care that we have one more Fifty Shades movie to go? I feel that sinks into the mid-$30M range and misses $100M by a fair bit. 15:17 to Paris will likely be Clint's lowest-grossing film since Letters from Iwo Jima.

Fifty Shades will be profitable thanks to OS, hell, the first film made so much money that they can afford to have to miss $100m.

Letters to Iwo Jiwa though low grossing did alright WW with $68.7m considering it cost $19m Flags of our Fathers made slightly less and cost $90m! The 15:17 to Paris can't be that expensive so the low grosses won't be a big deal for WB.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Peter Rabbit should do good next weekend. Gnomeo & Juliet was dumped by Disney in this slot seven years ago and made almost $100M, so this should have no problem taking advantage of a similarly empty marketplace.

It's doing well in presales. Book fans and Valentines couples should get it to solid numbers 

Edited by John Marston

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Not surprised by the weak Tonya expansion. I don't even think it has sold ten tickets at my theater today :lol: 

I must live in a weird I Tonya bubble as everyone I work with has seen it or wants to see it. 

Fifty Shades should do $36-$40 million OW and do $55-$60 millón 7-Days and do $100 million but barely. Peter Rabbit should north of $20 million OW and do $60-$70 million. While 15:17 To Paris will probably do $9-$11 million and do $30-$35 million