That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

14 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Spicy take

I think the dom takes for IW and Bp will be pretty close. Like, 20M or so within each other. Leaning towards IW being a bit higher grossing right now, but I feel like it could go either way.

I think BP will win by 75 m.

BP - 575

IW - 500

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Not everyone of course but a large chunk of those who felt impacted by BP.

During the past week, I’ve heard black talk shows hyped up Panther, schools taking field trips for Panther, the local big news networks are talking about it, Infinity War although will naturally have crossover would be the same people who’d see it in the first place. Wakanda may have a big focus but it won’t be the main draw. I’m not expecting under $400M for IW but I’m not going to ride the TFA OW breaking/$550M+ hype train some of you are riding. Especially with the competition. However both will be huge and can cross $500M.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I'm pretty much completely burned out on superhero movies now, but I still enjoy watching their box office performances. Black Panther should be very interesting to track.

Lol with two of them doing 400+ million this year, I think the train is not ending anytime soon. :hahaha:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And even Ant-Man 2 will probably see a nice boost from the first movie like The Winter Soldier did from The First Avenger.

Ant-Man 2 will be Marvel's lowest grossing movie in a while but still comfortably over $200-250m. I do get the feeling it's a low priority film for Marvel compared to BP and IW. 

I don’t see how people are believably under predicting IW.  I mean it’s quite obviously going to get a bump from BP.  

Think of it this way: if only 10% of the people who see BP (who have never cared to see a Marvel movie before this) watch IW just because BP is in it....that’s STILL an increase that would never have happened if BP never existed.  BP is guaranteed to have an effect on IW.  The only way it wouldn’t is if absolutely 0 people who are virgins to the MCU see BP (and we know that’s not the case).

IW is guaranteed to be huge.  Every single marvel movie so far has been interconnected with the payoff in IW in mind.  It’s going to get bumps from all the various marvel fans (ex: GotG fans who don’t care for the Avengers but they’re going because GotG are in it).

Edited by MJL
Wording
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Lol with two of them doing 400+ million this year, I think the train is not ending anytime soon. :hahaha:

That's fine. I'm not going to be one of the people watching them. But I will definitely follow their box office performance. That aspect of it is still interesting to me.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Well he said he's burned out them, didn't say anything about the rest of the movie going public

• Like 6

You know, Black Panther is already doing incredible for itself BO-wise as proven by this gigantic preview numbers and the OS figures up to this point. Everyone can see that.

It doesn’t need the artificial propping up from Infinity War potentially grossing less.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Page after page of IW talk. Feel good knowing we have another three months to run that into the ground.

With No film Batman or Superman or Fast 7 in between to talk about, its gonna be this debate for next 3 months :hahaha:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MJL said:

I don’t see how people are believably under predicting IW.  I mean it’s quite obviously going to get a bump from BP.  

Think of it this way: if only 10% of the people who see BP (who have never cared to see a Marvel movie before this) watch IW just because BP is in it....that’s STILL an increase that would never have happened if BP never existed.  BP is guaranteed to have an effect on IW.  The only way it wouldn’t is if absolutely 0 people who are virgins to the MCU see BP (and we know that’s not the case).

IW is guaranteed to be huge.  Every single marvel movie so far has been interconnected with the payoff in IW in mind.  It’s going to get bumps from all the various marvel fans (ex: GotG fans who don’t care for the Avengers but they’re going because GotG are in it).

Mcu films have a large built in fan base. They could open Squirrel Girl, and it’d probably reach 200 million. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Right like I'm not saying its guaranteed to make $600m but to put it below GOTG2 is just ludicrous.

Ultron dropped 26% from Avengers.

Civil War dropped 11% from Ultron.

Whichever you consider to be the previous avengers movie, the same drop again would put it below GOTG2.

And this is not the final film so don't give me that "finale bump" shtick.

1 minute ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Ultron dropped 26% from Avengers.

Civil War dropped 11% from Ultron.

Whichever you consider to be the previous avengers movie, the same drop again would put it below GOTG2.

And this is not the final film so don't give me that "finale bump" shtick.

You're ignoring the fact that this movie has a very different roster of characters, all with their own fanbases that aren't 100% overlaps with each other and that MCU individual franchises have their own quirks.

• Like 3