That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

7 hours ago, BK007 said:

So Marvel/Disney have successfully won over African Americans to their paltry set of parlour tricks. Depressing times.

Laughable that people are excited for a lineup that includes Avengers 4, Star Wars 9, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, Lion King and Frozen 2.

Jesus Christ. What a pitiful slate of films and disgusting state of the industry.

This corporate worship is so rooted in American society. Thank fuck that children at Parkland are trying to stand up to the NRA, politicians and American society in general. There is hope yet for the world.

Well thanks Buzz Killington

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

No. $103m for WW was no where near a disappointment. It was tracking in the 60’s. First big female solo film. WW was an event. 

Why would heads be rolling at WB? Didn’t they already remove some people? 

Lol at the Captain Marvel comment. I’d bet that Captain Marvel makes $150m-$200m less than Wonder Woman domestically. 

Captain Marvel is doing $400m minimum IMO.

What WW and BP has shown, is that people love SH movies and they love it even more when its a fresh SH movie, new characters and origin stories are the way to go.

7 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Wonder Woman 2 will decrease domestically but increase overseas, probably remain the same overall worldwide. All of those films listed are likely to billion+ or close to. Wonder Woman was 10th for 2017 so dont think it will jump to a top 5 spot of 2019.

Hell I think Captain Marvel could also do more than WW2.

Why is WW2 going to decrease domestically? It should have a bigger opening which should offset its weaker legs. And I doubt Captain Marvel makes 415M Domestic but I guess anything is possible. 

• Like 2

Yeh I think Wonder Woman could increase domestically and internationally with its sequel. 

I dont see Captain Marvel getting to $415m. If Thor and Hulk couldn’t get to $320m I don’t see Cap Marvel overpeforming like that. It won’t be the movement that BP is. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I think Wonder Woman could increase domestically and internationally with its sequel. 

I dont see Captain Marvel getting to $415m. If Thor and Hulk couldn’t get to $320m I don’t see Cap Marvel overpeforming like that. It won’t be the movement that BP is. 

It won’t be a culture event like WW was or like BP was. Those 2 had the benefit of being the “first ever”. Right now I am see something like 300/400/700 for Captain Marvel 

Edited by Steele131
  • Like 3

Apparently Marvel had black church ladies as fans even before BP, but still this one means a lot to Mildred, 73. :):):)

One of those "kids of all ages" was Mildred Johnson, 73, who was sitting in front of a huge Black Panther display ahead of her noon showtime. 

"I am just so proud of him and all he's done," Johnson said. "I collect comic books myself, and love all them superheroes. I have a feeling this one is going to be my favorite."

285smg.jpg

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2018/02/20/chadwick-boseman-buys-showing-black-panther-underprivileged-youth/353994002/

Edited by Alexiswills12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

Apparently Marvel had black church ladies as fans even before BP, but still this one means a lot to Mildred, 73. :):):)

One of those "kids of all ages" was Mildred Johnson, 73, who was sitting in front of a huge Black Panther display ahead of her noon showtime. 

"I am just so proud of him and all he's done," Johnson said. "I collect comic books myself, and love all them superheroes. I have a feeling this one is going to be my favorite."

285smg.jpg

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2018/02/20/chadwick-boseman-buys-showing-black-panther-underprivileged-youth/353994002/

woah, someone who read the comics.

a rare sighting

7 hours ago, BK007 said:

So Marvel/Disney have successfully won over African Americans to their paltry set of parlour tricks. Depressing times.

Laughable that people are excited for a lineup that includes Avengers 4, Star Wars 9, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, Lion King and Frozen 2.

Jesus Christ. What a pitiful slate of films and disgusting state of the industry.

This corporate worship is so rooted in American society. Thank fuck that children at Parkland are trying to stand up to the NRA, politicians and American society in general. There is hope yet for the world.

What if I told you....

and this is is going to be a shocker...

that you can care about politics and activism and STILL enjoy Marvel movies?!?!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, BK007 said:

As one of those African Americans who “fell for Disney’s parlour tricks” and am not excited for any of Disney’s 2019 films, please stop. You can care about both. Black Panther means something to some people.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BK007 said:

People want escapism in their movies and should not feel guilty that each film they watch does not have a social justice element to it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BK007 said:

Film Snob Alert! :P

Personally, I'm only excited for one of those films (Avengers 4), and mildly interested in two others (SW9, TS4). Probably won't see the other three. There are still plenty of artsy flicks out there for ya. Movies like Deadpool and the X-Men movies make Fox enough dough to finance stuff like "Three Billboards..."  It all works out!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BK007 said:

Posts like this come from arrogant people who feel they know what's best for others.  The way you feel about something is just that and only that.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Posts like this come from arrogant people who feel they know what's best for others.  The way you feel about something is just that and only that.  

He’s BK007. Of course he’s that arrogant to any new huge crowdpleaser coming out. And he has not learned since then. Just doing the same shit over and over again.

• Like 1

Look you can be not like Disney or their slate, (to be honest Incredibles 2 is likely the last Disney film I’m hyped for, I’m indifferent towards IW) but don’t say shit like African Americans were scammed in seeing this. Especially because how many films like Panther do you see in the marketplace. Do you see movie that are African American centric at this scale? Is it hard to believe people were inspired?

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 3

Imo I think if BP came out in the early parts of the MCU or was not introduced in Civil War, this film would not have been as successful as now. 

It is a perfect sequence of events that has led to BP success.

A great appeal to black audiences plus having the MCU fanbase show up in this movie like it was an Avengers/ Civil War level event. 

11 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Look you can be not like Disney or their slate, (to be honest Incredibles 2 is likely the last Disney film I’m hyped for, I’m indifferent towards IW) but don’t say shit like African Americans were scammed in seeing this. Especially because how many films like Panther do you see in the marketplace. Do you see movie that are African American centric at this scale? Is it hard to believe people were inspired?

For me.. seeing the joy in kids faces, black kids who never had a Marvel superhero, outweighs the uneasiness of Trump’s buddy racist, sexist Ike Perlmutter getting my euros. 

In addition to that, black director, black cast, black production designer, black costume designer, white hipster dude as a composer and a white woman as a cinematographer just fills my liberal heart with joy. 

Edited by Alexiswills12
  • Like 1