That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

I actually believe Black Panther being amazing and enormous just further ensures that IW will be HUGE out of the gate and likely locks it for $500M+ DOM. But, again, I don't see the issue. This isn't like JL doing sub $230M DOM after WW did $410M DOM. This will likely be BP doing no less than $550M+ and IW doing no less than $500M+ DOM. So, two $500M DOM earners back to back in the MCU. Pretty sure they'll be pretty happy about it.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Infinity wars has a much easier to understand premise then Civil War.

So I don't buy the argument that its not accessibile to casual audiences at all. 

I am a  MCU fan and even I had a hard time feeling the dynamic between Bucky and Captain as I never saw the first Captain America movie and I am certain most people have not as its the lowest grossing Marvel Movie. 

This is more this is the ultimate bad guy, they are all going to assemble.

Thats it. 

I agree w/this, but I think where the people who say "this won't be accessible to a super wide/casual audience" come from is very much a similar reason as to why Deathly Hallows Part 2 had such a gigantic opening weekend and then dropped off w/bad legs afterwards: because while the main premisse may not be so hard to understand, it is the nth entry in the big MCU franchise, and the main appeal of it will go towards the diehards that have watched most (or all) of these films (those being the ones who will rush OW), since it'll probably have a lot of elements where a casual watcher will not really understand. I.e. why does Thor have an eye patch; why doesn't Cap have his shield; why is the Hulk in space; and so fort. It's kinda like Civil War in that regard - pretty sure a lot of casual people felt lost when they went to watch that movie due to the many little elements they needed to know from other films they may have not seen or don't remember (like Ultron, Ant-Man and the previous two Cap films); and I fear IW will suffer from that well. It's a similar scenario to someone trying to jump into a TV series in its 7th season: sure, they can try to enjoy the 7th season for its merits, but it's a foolish decision not to try to look into 6 previous seasons worth of material and context. In that sense, Civil War was the season premiere, and Infinity War will be the mid-season finale, w/Avengers 4 capping everything off.

That being said, I do agree that IW will probably be easier to understand than CW, as this will have a simpler premisse of "big purple alien vs. everyfuckingbody in the universe". Although I don't think that changes the inevitability of IW being extremely frontloaded.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

He's actually 49 but he does look 60

He still looks good as hell but maybe its those piercing blue eyes

edit: nvm i just saw how he looks now and his face looks ziplock bag tight

Edited by iHeartJames
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I actually believe Black Panther being amazing and enormous just further ensures that IW will be HUGE out of the gate and likely locks it for $500M+ DOM. But, again, I don't see the issue. This isn't like JL doing sub $230M DOM after WW did $410M DOM. This will likely be BP doing no less than $550M+ and IW doing no less than $500M+ DOM. So, two $500M DOM earners back to back in the MCU. Pretty sure they'll be pretty happy about it.

It is a bit awkward to have the team movie you've built up for 10 years perform lower at the domestic box office than a solo movie released only a few months earlier. But it's a very nice problem for Disney to have. :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoSaysI said:

That is possible, but JL was a really bad movie that had terrible trailers and no hook that was the direct sequel to an unbelievably awful movie. 

Infinity War has 10 years of hype and good movies driving it and the interest and awareness for the movie are off the charts.  

I wasn’t comparing Infinity War to Justice League. You just came to slag JL. 

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Not a fair comparison. JL couldn't even retain the audience from BvS, much less add to it. And that speaks to the quality of those individual films. Even WW I feel was vastly overrated.

You didn’t understand my comparison.

Wonder Woman didn’t get a 4x multiplier for being poor quality. 

Anyway, Black Panther broke out of the usual comic book movie crowd. All I’m saying is, that those people might not turn up for Infinity War just because BP is in it with about 25 other heroes. That’s all, and I think it’s fair? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I agree w/this, but I think where the people who say "this won't be accessible to a super wide/casual audience" come from is very much a similar reason as to why Deathly Hallows Part 2 had such a gigantic opening weekend and then dropped off w/bad legs afterwards: because while the main premisse may not be so hard to understand, it is the nth entry in the big MCU franchise, and the main appeal of it will go towards the diehards that have watched most (or all) of these films (those being the ones who will rush OW), since it'll probably have a lot of elements where a casual watcher will not really understand. I.e. why does Thor have an eye patch; why doesn't Cap have his shield; why is the Hulk in space; and so fort. It's kinda like Civil War in that regard - pretty sure a lot of casual people felt lost when they went to watch that movie due to the many little elements they needed to know from other films they may have not seen or don't remember (like Ultron, Ant-Man and the previous two Cap films); and I fear IW will suffer from that well. It's a similar scenario to someone trying to jump into a TV series in its 7th season: sure, they can try to enjoy the 7th season for its merits, but it's a foolish decision not to try to look into 6 previous seasons worth of material and context. In that sense, Civil War was the season premiere, and Infinity War will be the mid-season finale, w/Avengers 4 capping everything off.

That being said, I do agree that IW will probably be easier to understand than CW, as this will have a simpler premisse of "big purple alien vs. everyfuckingbody in the universe". Although I don't think that changes the inevitability of IW being extremely frontloaded.

True but I found that 2 months or so before release that even a lot of the MCU fanbase had difficulty understanding the premise of Civil WAR while for IW, I don't think that is the case.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It is a bit awkward to have the team movie you've built up for 10 years perform lower at the domestic box office than a solo movie released only a few months earlier. But it's a very nice problem for Disney to have. :lol:

Well it shows nostalgia and zeitgeist and novelty are the most powerful box office forces.

BP

Sw7

JW

TA

TDK

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I wasn’t comparing Infinity War to Justice League. You just came to slag JL. 

You didn’t understand my comparison.

Wonder Woman didn’t get a 4x multiplier for being poor quality. 

Anyway, Black Panther broke out of the usual comic book movie crowd. All I’m saying is, that those people might not turn up for Infinity War just because BP is in it with about 25 other heroes. That’s all, and I think it’s fair? 

It is a very fair point. I would also note that Black Panther is not like the other Marvel movies at all. Its very different than the Avengers filrms. Some people might look at IW trailers or remember prior Marvel movies and go like, nah, that doesn’t have Ryan Coogler’s vibe, I’ll catch IW on tv.

Just now, Krissykins said:

Black Panther, although it was great, still has the usual Marvel villain problem, IMO.

I don’t see Thanos changing that trend either, tbh. 

The usual marvel villain problem is usually someone with limited screentime, no clear motivations and no character development so i disagree with that I do wish he had more screentime but we knew his motivation and he definitely had development

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Black Panther, although it was great, still has the usual Marvel villain problem, IMO.

I don’t see Thanos changing that trend either, tbh. 

yeah I agree Marvel has a villian issue but after the DCU films I think DC lost that high ground.

:hahaha:

• Haha 1