That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

Not a fair comparison. JL couldn't even retain the audience from BvS, much less add to it. And that speaks to the quality of those individual films. Even WW I feel was vastly overrated.

I'm curious how much focus Marvel puts on BP/Wakanda in the final marketing push for IW. I know several minor characters from BP will be in IW, so lets see if Marvel makes them seen.

Also, even if only a little of the BP audience shows up, with a little of the Doctor Strange audience and a little of the Guardians audience, it still adds up to Marvel's widest potential audience yet with Infinity War.

Spiderman Homecoming really appealed to the younger crowd as well. 

6 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

THANK YOU. I've said this so many times here.

JL was panned by critics, had controversial WW ass shots that pissed off feminists and also alienated DC diehards cause of the director change. That was really a perfect storm of blowing all the goodwill from WW.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Also, even if only a little of the BP audience shows up, with a little of the Doctor Strange audience and a little of the Guardians audience, it still adds up to Marvel's widest potential audience yet with Infinity War.

IIRC, the Guardians audience demo is the only one (besides BP now) that significantly differs from other Marvel movies. I'm assuming Homecoming skewed a lot younger too, but up until BP, Guardians had the biggest female audience share.

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

JL was panned by critics, had controversial WW ass shots that pissed off feminists and also alienated DC diehards cause of the director change. That was really a perfect storm of blowing all the goodwill from WW.

Looks at Avengers 1

I think that movie had much more lol... 

8 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

Do you think Samson and Early Man will hold 4-5 showings per day next week?  What about Fifty Shades and Peter Rabbit shedding locations.  It seems one of those might shed 500 theater counts by default of 3 incoming product next week....

Samson and Early Man will likely not lose theater counts but their show counts will be reduced for sure.  Fifty Shades will lose multiple locations and Peter Rabbit might lose a few.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Infinity wars has a much easier to understand premise then Civil War.

So I don't buy the argument that its not accessibile to casual audiences at all. 

I am a  MCU fan and even I had a hard time feeling the dynamic between Bucky and Captain as I never saw the first Captain America movie and I am certain most people have not as its the lowest grossing Marvel Movie. 

This is more this is the ultimate bad guy, they are all going to assemble.

Thats it. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

Captain Marvel is doing $400m minimum IMO.

What WW and BP has shown, is that people love SH movies and they love it even more when its a fresh SH movie, new characters and origin stories are the way to go.

It’s why I’ve dug MCU’s general strategy since 2014: one new franchise character(s) a year, even if technically Homecoming wasn’t but w/e.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Deadpool 2 is going to impact Avengers audience directly. 

Black Panther is beating Avengers. 

And the BP audience (the extra audience - not the usual MCU fans) might not necessarily turn up for IW just because BP is in it, look at WW/JL.

The difference is that Avengers have done BP numbers twice. 

12 minutes ago, Proxima Olive said:

Tuesday 7:20AM Update: Ticket sales for the Ryan Coogler-directed movie were -34% on Presidents Day Monday for $40M-$40.1M. 

http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-panther-thursday-night-preview-box-office-1202291093/

Wow... so basically exactly the Monday of TFA...

12 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

What's the expected Tuesday number, 25m?

No Idea.

might end a bit lower like $23M, but I would say it should stay above $20M.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Looks at Avengers 1

I think that movie had much more lol... 

And JL rehashed a dumb boob joke that AOU had done but that happens when films share directors. ;)

• Like 1