That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Ummm...I give him all the credit in the world. He is incredible at what he does. I am pointing out to you that he specifically mentioned pre-sales as a caution against going overboard with expectations around here. Ultron is an example where pre-sales screwed up everything.

What does BP have in common with AOU?

Why is that the comp you're most concerned with?

Lots of movies have had huge presales since 2015.

Also is it possible Rth got better at tracking in three years of doing it constantly?

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I was looking at the first Captain America for comparison. Adjusted for inflation, it made $29.7m on opening day. Black Panther almost matched that in only 4-5 hours of preview shows last night. Pretty amazing how Feige has been able to build the MCU over the last 10 years.

With all do respect, Captain America was a period film (set in WWII) . Dunkirk has been the most recent period piece that has gained any sort of buzz.

There is a good report on it from DEADLINE here ---->   deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-marketing-christopher-nolan-warner-bros-box-office-opening-1202134029/

Edited by Chad Stevens

1 minute ago, edmkh said:

Off Topic: Just wanted to say (again) that rth is my dream man. 

A guy that love movies and have inside numbers, so hot! 

Rth might be a woman. You ever think she was just trying to type out “Ruth”, misspelled it and just ran with it?

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What does BP have in common with AOU?

Why is that the comp you're most concerned with?

Lots of movies have had huge presales since 2015.

Also is it possible Rth got better at tracking in three years of doing it constantly?

I am not "concerned." He mentioned pre-sales and Ultron is the big example we have where pre-sales caused issues. That's all I'm saying. You seem to want to argue for no reason.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Also most of my trailers were pretty normal, but sprinkled in there was trailers for The Hurricane Heist and God’s Not Dead 3 :hahaha: 

I also got The Hurricane Heist. Compared to the rest of the blockbusters trailers, it was completely out of place. I did hear one person commenting on how the idea of a heist disaster film, and how illogical it seemed though. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

4 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

With all do respect, Captain America was a period film (set in WWII) . Dunkirk has been the most recent period piece that has gained any sort of buzz.

There is a good report on it from DEADLINE here ---->   deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-marketing-christopher-nolan-warner-bros-box-office-opening-1202134029/

Then compare it to Ant-Man or the first Iron Man. Either way Black Panther's performance is incredible.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The energy and hype surrounding BP reminds me of JW...

...not AOU.

Walk ups are not going to be typical.

Walkups are not typical for any movie that opens over 100M

He's not trying to say it'll perform like Ultron, just giving a word of caution about early data. Chillax

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Fantastic numbers.

Early Man and Samson are disasters, whatever they are. 

At the box office, yes.

But from the reviews, "Early Man" is actually a funny movie.

It's by the people who created "Wallace and Gromit".

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The energy and hype surrounding BP reminds me of JW...

...not AOU.

Walk ups are not going to be typical.

If i recall correctly, at least the internet hype wasnt actually that big with JW (thats why its numbers getting bigger and bigger was so shocking to many). Its just that the whole GA went to see it. Black Panther has massive hype and buzz, both in the internet and with the GA. So at this point, i dont know if JW is that good of a comparison in terms of hype.