grim22

90th Annual Academy Awards | Live Discussion Thread | Ceremony starts now

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

What will be interesting to see is if the Amazon Lord of the Rings show that they paid 250 million for will be all white like the movies were since Middle Earth is clearly modeled after old timey Europe or if there will be corporate mandated diversity quota.  I personally don't care as long as its not IN YO FACE like Rose in TFA or Laura Dern's pink haired rebel child character.

It has to make sense...

Like in the Hobbit it made sense to have a diverse background of people in Dale. 

But black hobbits would be like okay there...

Like Lord of the Rings is defined by distinct homogeneous groups with separate cultures and ideas. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I agree that blockbusters in the last decade haven't been up to the quality of the past. Not sure if it's just I've been older and therefore drifted more towards smaller films, or if the blockbusters have just been worse, or if audiences just aren't watching the quality films anymore 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

lol the Island continues to shrink

No surprise. Like, they nominate movies barely anyone watches and when people do watch some of them it becomes obvious from precursors that they won't win (Get Out, a widely watched movie, was not in contention to win given 3B near sweeps). Actor nominees also tend to be Who Hell He/She.  And now they even packed has-beens as presenters only because they took down Harvey (as if GA cares, they don't know who the hell Annabella Something is). So for the show whose main attraction are stars, it began to lack even that element on top of being boring, self-congratulatory and about rich people problems (again, nothing that GA cares about). Flop. 

@Lordmandeep It's like GoT. Westeros is a white continent (based on medieval Europe) and Esos is not. But the story is about characters from Westeros. It doesn't mean that spin-offs may not be about Esos and its characters (including their living in Westeros now that Dany's army of Dotrakhi and Unsullied crossed the sea) but the main story of GoT is about Westeros. Likewise, LOTR is a huge universe that has non-white lands Rhun and Harad so they can make stories about them and have characters from those lands as main characters. It's just that the stories of Silmarillion, Hobbit and LOTR are about lands based on Medieval England and therefore characters look like the English. Tolkien actually had anti-French bias so he wanted his villain to have a French-sounding name (Sauron). :hahaha:But anyway, point is, they can easily diversify those universes cause they already are. It's just that the focus wasn't on them. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

No surprise. Like, they nominate movies barely anyone watches and when people do watch some of them it becomes obvious from precursors that they won't win (Get Out, a widely watched movie, was not in contention to win given 3B near sweeps). Actor nominees also tend to be Who Hell He/She.  And now they even packed has-beens as presenters only because they took down Harvey (as if GA cares, they don't know who the hell Annabella Something is). So for the show whose main attraction are stars, it began to lack even that element on top of being boring, self-congratulatory and about rich people problems (again, nothing that GA cares about). Flop. 

Also 3+ hours with commercials. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I agree that blockbusters in the last decade haven't been up to the quality of the past. Not sure if it's just I've been older and therefore drifted more towards smaller films, or if the blockbusters have just been worse, or if audiences just aren't watching the quality films anymore 

Pretty much this. And the quality blockbusters for the most part have been coming from a very vast shared universe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

that they paid 250 million for will be all white like the movies were since Middle Earth is clearly modeled after old timey Europe 

Was old timey Europe all white ? Romans conquered region at least were a bit diverse, their army made from a diverse range of province toward the end.

They are not completely out of say Britain middle age history:

https://www.historytoday.com/paul-edwards/history-black-people-britain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/black_britons_01.shtml

Black Vikings were even apparently a real thing.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

It is called growing old.

Some are more affected by it than others.

@Valonqar

Lol it was just funny watching LOTR with my family and cousins as a bunch of brown people seeing a lot the bad guys in Return of the King being peoples from Eastern Cultures lol (Haradrium, Rhun, Corsairs Pirates).

I just wonder how in 2018, people would react lol.. 

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

@Valonqar

Lol it was just funny watching LOTR with my family and cousins as a bunch of brown people seeing a lot the bad guys in Return of the King being peoples from Eastern Cultures lol (Haradrium, Rhun, Corsairs Pirates).

I just wonder how in 2018, people would react lol.. 

I'm pretty sure that LOTR movies and Tolkien were criticized for dark skinned Orcs and white heroes but it wasn't a thing back in early aughts to gain any traction that would sink its Picture chances. Also, fans reportedly nixed studio attempts to turn Sam into a girl and expand Xenarwen's role (PJ had to cut her from Helms Deep and you can still see Liv Tyler in some frames as shown in the image below) so female representation at the expense of staying true to the source wasn't a popular thing either.  

5820.jpg

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

If Sauron were French, he would've surrendered after the Pelennor Fields battle. :ph34r:

Nah, they would have put all the defence along the black gate and left Minas Morgul undefended 'as no one can cross it' 

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

It is called growing old.

Some are more affected by it than others.

Lul I'm 21 and all my friends are always going on about superheroes and star wars and I'm like "yeah but arrival tho, ex machina tho" and they're like "wtf are you even talking about"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Lul I'm 21 and all my friends are always going on about superheroes and star wars and I'm like "yeah but arrival tho, ex machina tho" and they're like "wtf are you even talking about"

I seen those movies and they are good but it does not mean I am some caveman if i Enjoy something like Guardians of the Galaxy a lot more. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I seen those movies and they are good but it does not mean I am some caveman if i Enjoy something like Guardians of the Galaxy a lot more. 

My point is they only hear about films that are megablockbusters haha

47 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

What will be interesting to see is if the Amazon Lord of the Rings show that they paid 250 million for will be all white like the movies were since Middle Earth is clearly modeled after old timey Europe or if there will be corporate mandated diversity quota.  I personally don't care as long as its not IN YO FACE like Rose in TFA or Laura Dern's pink haired rebel child character.

How the fuck was Rose's casting IN YO FACE? By being asian...?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Rose was fine until her prequel level dialogue delivery at the end and her kissing the hero without his consent. 

:P

15 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

pointless character in a pointless subplot that has no bearing on anything

unless of course you think star wars is about saving animals, the evils of capitalism/greed, and arms sales

• Like 1