The Panda

BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time: 2018 Edition - DEADLINE IS TODAY! SEND A LIST!

I can't see Titanic or Clue moving from my top 2 spots anytime soon, but you never know...new movies come out every year, and maybe there will be another amazing classic that I'll want to replace them with (and I can say my #3-100 spots are definitely open for change:)...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

For people who have done this list for multiple times, does your #1 movie change from year to year?

I signed up for letterboxd recently and been going through all the films I've watched from each decade. I have a list of 100 almost done (haven't ranked yet) but I have no idea what to put at #1 right now.  

My #1 pretty much never changes.

This will be the first time my #3 is different in a while I believe though.

tumblr_oaj608zsvY1qfv89lo5_500.gif

• Like 1

1. Jaws

1. ET

2. Halloween

1. JFK

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. American Beauty

4.  Raiders of the Lost Ark

5.  Aliens

6.  Matrix

7.  Fellowship of the Ring

8.  Texas Chainsaw Massacre

9.  Pulp Fiction

10. Terminator 2

11.  First Blood

12. Titanic

13. Stand By Me

14. Angel Heart

15. Back to the Future

16. Nightmare on Elm Street

17. Scream

18. Star Wars

19. The Dark Knight

20. Rocky

21. Terminator

22. Predator

23. Wolf of Wall Street

24. Usual Suspects

25. Swingers

26. The Ring

27. Tombstone

28. Mississippi Burning

29. The Pianist

30. Schindler's List

31. Breakfast Club

32. Mothman Prophecies

33. Goodfellas

34. Ghostbusters

35. Rounders

36. Glengarry Glen Ross

37. Fargo

38. Planet of the Apes (1968):  The best film made prior to 1970.  The ending just blew me away....and the message about animal rights was about 40 years ahead of its time.  

39. Planes Trains and Automobiles:  Might be John Hughes' best movie.  Its the film that should have gotten him an Oscar nomination for best everything.  Also, John Candy should have at least been nominated in 1987 for best supporting.  A tender movie set around the holidays.  Beyond being extremely funny, it has that typical Hughes astute insight into the human condition.

40. Silver Linings Playbook: One of my favourite films of the decade.  Lawrence might not have deserved best actress for this film (Riva was mind blowingly terrific in Amour) but the film is one of pure joy and contains a brilliant cast and knockout performances from all involved.

41. Saving Private Ryan:  The opening 20 minutes might be the best directed 20 minutes in cinematic history.  The rest of the film is pretty damn good too.

42. Bourne Ultimatum:  This is simply one of the finest action films I've ever seen.  It's up there with Raiders of the Lost Ark.  The fight with Desh and the running over rooftops is pure genius.

43. A Fish Called Wanda:  One of the funniest films I've ever seen and Kevin Kline gives one of the funniest performances ever.

44. Shawshank Redemption:  Get busy living...or get busy dyin......that's goddamned right.

45. Star Wars: The Force Awakens:  Every Star Wars film gets at least an 8/10 from me.  This one is a 10.  It's a lot of fan service, and that's what makes it so great.

46. Porky's:  This small Canadian film set the trend for high school teen comedies in the 80's.  Beyond the T&A, it's ridiculously funny.  

47. Forrest Gump:  The third film from 1994 to make the list.  It's every bit as good as Pulp and Shawshank.  

48. The Departed:  An all star cast,Marty doing his thing and Jack allowed to run amok.  

49. Man on Fire:  One of the most emotional films I've seen.  Denzel and Dakota's relationship in the film tugs at your heart.  Add a wonderful script and you have one of the best films ever made.

50. Better Off Dead:  Savage steve Holland didn't have a filter.  He made two really good films and was never really heard from again.  If you haven't seen this, find it. 

51. Perks of Being a Wallflower:  Thank you @Ethan Hunt and @Noctis.  You got me to see this and I fell in love with it.

52. The Shining:  Here's Johnny!  

53. Dances With Wolves:  Won best picture in 1990, much to the chagrin of the Goodfellas loonies.  Both are terrific films.

54. Deadpool:  Up there with The Dark Knight as the best super hero film for my money.

55. Fast Times at Ridgemont High:  Cameron Crowe wrote it, Sean Penn kills it as Spicolli and Phoebe Cates takes her bikini top off.

56. Mystic River:  Clint's best directed film imo

57. Less Than Zero:  The glitz and glamour of being rich in the 80's...but at a cost.

58. Armageddon:  Michael Bay is one of the best directors of the last 25 years.  This is his best.

59. Groundhog Day:  Harold Ramis was incredibly talented.  He could write, direct and act.  He knocks it out of the park with this risky and iconic film.

60. True Lies:  Arnold and Arnold and James and Jamie.  "I married Rambo."

61. Christmas Vacation:  The best Christmas film ever made and so much humour in here.  Another John Hughes victory.

62. On Golden Pond:  "Wife's Name isEthel Thayer, thounds like I'm lithsping, doesn't it?"  The film that made me fall in love With Hepburn.

63. The Princess Bride:  One of the sweetest movies ever made.  And the iconic line about preparing to die.

64. Goonies:  The ultimate kids adventure that adults will love as well

65. Chasing Amy:  Kevin Smith's brilliant film about love, friendship and jealousy.  

66. Boyz N The Hood:  Cuba and Fishburne...."Oh you big and bad now?  Give me the gun, Trey.  GIVE ME THE MUTHFUCKIN GUN TREY!"

67. Friday the 13th Final Chapter:  Not just a great horror movie but expertly made in every way.  Every beat, ever scene, every shot is brilliant and terrifying in some ways.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My general best of list. Subject to minor change of course. 

1. The Godfather

2. Forrest Gump

3. Vertigo

4. Blazing Saddles

5. 2001 A Space Odyssey

6. Psycho

7. Seven Samurai

8. 12 Angry Men

9. Young Frankenstein

10. Duck Soup

11. Toy Story 2

12. To Kill A Mockingbird

13. Ran

14. Raging Bull

15. E.T.

16. Raiders of The Lost Ark

17. The Empire Strikes Back

18. Modern Times

19. Toy Story 3

20. Schindler's List

21. The Godfather Part II

22. Up

23. Spirited Away

24. A New Hope

25. Back To The Future

26. The Dark Knight

27. Birdman

28. Dawn of The Dead (1978)

29. Dr. Strangelove

30. Grave of The Fireflies

31. Princess Mononoke

32. North By Northwest

33. The Maltese Falcon (1941)

34. Pan's Labyrinth

35. A Day At The Races

36. City Lights

37. Beauty and The Beast (1991)

38. Goodfellas

39. Inside Out

40. Toy Story

41. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

42. Pulp Fiction

43. Akira

44. My Neighbor Totoro

45. The Lion King

46. Who Framed Roger Rabbit

47. Raging Bull

48. Alien

49. The Incredibles

50. Taxi Driver

51. Memento

52. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

53. Return of The Jedi

54. LOTR: Return of The King

55. The Truman Show

56. Gladiator

57. After Hours

58. The Social Network

59. Aladdin

60. Bridge on The River Kwai

61. Mad Max: Fury Road

62. Ed Wood

63. Kiki's Delivery Service

64. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

65. 8 1 / 2

66. LOTR: The Two Towers

67. LOTR: Fellowship of The Rings

68. The Night of The Hunter

69. The Shining

70. Gravity

71. Chinatown

72. Saving Private Ryan

73. Fargo

74. The Wolf of Wall Street

76. The Gold Rush

77. The General

78. Rope

79. Django Unchained

80. Boyhood

81. The Devil's Backbone

82. The Departed

84. The Thing (1982)

85. No Country For Old Men

86. Wall-E

87. Singin In The Rain

88. Bicycle Thieves

89. No Country For Old Men

90. Touch of Evil

91. Aliens

92. Amarcord

93. The Treasure of Sierra Madre

94. Batman Returns

95. In A Lonely Place

96. Lawrence of Arabia

97. Pinocchio (1940)

98. Inglourious Basterds

99. Unforgiven 

100. Groundhog Day

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, baumer said:

I can't see anything ever trumping Jaws as my number one.

Jaws is god-tier. It's the only movie, alongside John Carpenter's The Thing, Taxi Driver, and Predator, that could give Pulp a run for its money. The original blockbuster, and still the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Every Star Wars film gets at least an 8/10 from me.

Every? :P

Great lists by the way, all around.

@Fancyarcher

Toy Story 2 so high! It's not in my list but, the scene with Jessie recounting her past... cue the damn onions

I never suspected that a freakin toy could produce so much emotion

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Every? :P

Great lists by the way, all around.

@Fancyarcher

Toy Story 2 so high! It's not in my list but, the scene with Jessie recounting her past... cue the damn onions

I never suspected that a freakin toy could produce so much emotion

That moment made me bawl my eyes as a seven year old seeing it in the theater. Pixar in general is great at emotionally earned scenes like that (Toy Story 3, Inside Out, Coco etc...), but When She Loved Me is still one of their finest. They really make you feel emotions for a toy. 

Edited by Fancyarcher