The Panda

BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time: 2018 Edition - DEADLINE IS TODAY! SEND A LIST!

14 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Seems weird to me to include films you haven't seen on your top 100, but you do you.

If you’re going to include a movie you haven’t seen on your list at least let it be Before Sunrise or another Linklater/Spielberg/Cuaron/Ford/etc movie and not Ghost in the Shell

But there’s technically no rule about having to see the movies you include, so whatever floats your boat.

• Like 1

Some interesting things to point out too,

in previous years a movie like The Avengers would make this list while TDKR or Silver Linings would not (the two of which were #1 and 2 on the 2012 list).  So it lets you see which movies from years a set of people are really passionate about.  While TDKR maybe a consensus 2012 choice, in the past we’ve seen more passion behind TA, which I find interesting. There’s other things you can pick up too (like Interstellar missing while 2014 movies like GOTG and Boyhood might make it).

It’ll be interesting to see how things shake out this year because the BOT active population has definitely changed some.  I was trying to design the scoring to prioritize highly ranked movies but also require there to be a relatively decent sized consensus behind them.

• Like 1

My Top 10:

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

2. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

3. Goodfellas

4. Whiplash

5. A Clockwork Orange

6. Requiem for a Dream

7. The Dark Knight

8. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

9. 12 Angry Men

10. To Kill a Mockingbird

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, The Mad Panda said:

If you’re going to include a movie you haven’t seen on your list at least let it be Before Sunrise or another Linklater/Spielberg/Cuaron/Ford/etc movie and not Ghost in the Shell

But there’s technically no rule about having to see the movies you include, so whatever floats your boat.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the original and not the remake. The remake doesn't deserve to be on any Best movie list for anything.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aabattery said:

Seems weird to me to include films you haven't seen on your top 100, but you do you.

Panda said we couldn't include 2018 movies. But he didn't say anything about 2019 movies. 

Time to reserve a spot for Cowboy Ninja Viking 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Panda said we couldn't include 2018 movies. But he didn't say anything about 2019 movies. 

Time to reserve a spot for Cowboy Ninja Viking 

1. Avatar 5

2. Avatar 2
3. Avatar 4
4. Avatar 3
5. Avatar

revised list

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Loved the little blurbs to each movie by @Daxtreme and decided to add those, too:

1. The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring I doubt any movie will ever me able to astonish me and spellbound me as much as this one. It was just such a miracle to see this book come alive like that. I guess this is my generations "A New Hope" in many, many ways. 

2. Titanic  No other Cameron movie comes eves close. The detail in bringing 1912 to life is amazing, the casting is perfection. One of the best scores ever composed for a movie and an incredible 60 minute climax, rough emotions and beautiful to look at even 21 years later.

3. The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers The best battle sequence of all time with the Battle of Helm's Deep and the momentous task of bringing all the different storylines together is masterfully solved. It might also have the best score out of all Middle-earth movies.

4. The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King Too many endings? Maybe. But it deserved to let go slowly. Going to the midnight premiere after a marathon of watching the first two with my dad will remain one of the most fun and bonding things we will both never forget. And the Ride of the Rohirrim must be high up there on the list of "most cinematic moments of all time". 

5. Brokeback Mountain Hard to tell what that movie did for me at a time when I struggled with coming out. It is wonderfully crafted, acted and has a great atmosphere. It is too often reduced now to its "gay" content. It is a very genuine love story, above all. And it was far more courageous back then as many give it credit for now.

6. Jaws There might be no movie that plays better with the mind of the audience. Masterpiece.

7. Little Miss Sunshine When I watched this for the first time I never would have thought how much I would like it... but it has become pasrt of my life and I re-watch it quite often with friends or family who have not seen it yet. 

8. Halloween Not as masterful as Jaws but up there... and with my weak spot for Splatter and Slasher movies this has to be far up my list.

9. The Godfather A great modern epic with a stellar cast.

10. The Lion King THE animation movie for me as a kid. I am happy whenever I hear the score or remind myself of how much I loved these characters as a kid. 

11. Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage There might be no better movie about the Third Reich coming out of Germany. It masterfully portrays how people's choices let to what was happening back there and how much courage it took to oppose the regime and what price some were willing to pay.

12. Schindler's List The second in my "Third Reich" row in this list. Again, a movie that manages to bring this time back to life in a very haunting and realistic way.

13. Downfall An important contribution with a breathtaking performance by Bruno Ganz as Hitler. 

14. The Departed Damon and diCaprio are a perfect duo in this one. Simply a lot of fun to watch.

15. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Just love how they managed to bring this dynamic of the patients together. It plays out beautifully and despite the great performance of Jack Nicholson, the other patients are the real stars imho.

16. The Beauty and the Beast (1991) Hearing the opening music still gives me chills. Seeing how unneeded the live-action movie was reminded me of how great the original is. Beides Lion King the best of the 90s Disney era.

17. The Queen I love, love, love Helen Mirren. And this role encapsulates her talent and craftmanship as an actress better than any other movie. It also does a great job in debunking and retelling a modern myth.

18. United 93 The best 9/11 movie yet... unpretentious and not overly dramatic and yet very captivating, haunting and an eery reminder of how many of us felt on that Tuesday in September.

19. E.T. Which movie makes you feel more like a kid again?

20. Home Alone And which movie makes you feel more-christmassy? :)

21. Forrest Gump A movie you do not have to watch entirely to enjoy... each "episode" is fun and moving on its own. Great performance by Hanks, obviously, but also a great storytelling achievement. 

22. 12 Angry Men Simply love the minimalist approach and how it works out.

23. The Green Mile Moves me like few other movies. A modern fairy-tale in many ways, despite the grim setting. Also very thought-provoking, not only in regard to the death penalty. 

24. Murder on the Orient Express (1974) The only movie that really brings the fun of reading an Agatha Christie book to life (another two might be Murder under the Sun and Death on the Nile). Every time I like to re-think of how it all comes together in the end, although one already knows most of it by now.

25. Saving Private Ryan The horros of war portrayed realitsically without going full realist, if you understand what I mean.

26. Revolutionary Road The sheer genius of casting Winslet and diCaprio in this together again deserves it to be on this list. They play the exact opposite of the love-fest they played in Titanic. And it is masterfully captured by Sam Mendes.

27. The Dark Knight No big Nolan champion... but Ledger's portrayal and the overall look and feel of the movie is just great.

28. Inception An incredible achievement in terms of bringing the technique of its time together with a plot that really needs all these effects and stunts without being burdened by it. Stellar cast.

29. Wild Witherspoon's best performance ever imho and the movie that got me into hiking :)

30. Zodiac Best detective movie ever... great thriller.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3