Alli

Weekend Thread: Weekend estimates pg 38...BP 41.14....WIT 33.31

2nd Update: Here’s a bright light for A Wrinkle of Time: The Ava DuVernay-directed film is looking like it will win Friday with $12M-$14M over Black Panther which will turn in $8M-$9.5M. That said, it’s still too early to call Wrinkle in Time the No. 1 pic for the weekend over Black Panther as both are looking at a $37M to low $40Ms take.

Rival studio executives have been buzzing for sometime that a $30M-ish start for A Wrinkle in Time just doesn’t cut it profit-wise in regards to this $100M-plus production, but a $40M-plus start will be OK. Even if Wrinkle comes up short, Disney can take the hit given the amount of successes they’ve had. The studio fully backed and supported a vibrant vision from a passionate female director who has cherished this literary property for some time, and those corporate maneuvers in Hollywood shouldn’t be questioned, rather celebrated and championed.  It’s a very competitive weekend, and A Wrinkle in Timewhich like Black Panther, has been sold on its multiculturalism is coming three weeks after that Marvel monolith which is quickly approaching $600M. There’s some cannibalization of audiences here.

Overperforming is Aviron’s R-rated The Strangers Prey at Night which is looking at this point at a weekend between $10M-$12.5M.

20th Century Fox’s Red Sparrow is looking at $2.5M to $3M in its second Friday, -50% with a second weekend that’s between $8M-$11M. On the high side, pic could reach $34M.

12M would put it on course for 35, 14 could give it a shot at 40. Anything lower and it could fall below 30. I think BP ends up taking the weekend in the end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd argue that anything below 12M would be fair enough to call Wrinkle a flop. Unless it develops some pretty great legs of course.

I'd say it needs high 30's this weekend to reach 100. From a Google trends search, the movie doesn't appear much outside of US/Canada/Aurstralia, maybe a few other English speaking countries. Don't really see an OS total above 150M so it really does need close to 100M domestic.

That being said, I could care less if Disney has another bomb. Fuck that company, they ain't letting me see their movie for free tonight plus it took our biggest screen over Panther 

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

12M would put it on course for 35, 14 could give it a shot at 40. Anything lower and it could fall below 30. I think BP ends up taking the weekend in the end.

Just got another update (I think, maybe you just omitted it)

We just got an update and it looks like A Wrinkle in Time will take the weekend with $44M-$45M over Black Panther‘s $41M-$42M. Another set of estimates from a few minutes ago believed the No. 1 one win was too close to call with both looking at $37M to low $40Ms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

that 8-9.5 for BP is around 88.2%-123% which is too low even with WIT opening. should increase around 140-160% for 10.2m-11.1m

Just now, DAJK said:

That being said, I could care less if Disney has another bomb. Fuck that company, they ain't letting me see their movie for free tonight plus it took our biggest screen over Panther 

SoCal seems to have not given the big screens to WIT. Most IMAX screens are still BP and most dolby screens are sharing.

27 minutes ago, DAJK said:

High School Musical > High School Musical 2 >>>>>>>> Camp Rock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> High School Musical 3

Me having explosive diarrhea, a migraine all together with a root canal at the same time >>>>then anything on that list 

• Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

If WIT has a $14M Friday, using @a2knet‘s jumps

$1.3M + $12.7M + $17.22M + $11.88M = $43.1M

Really curious about the CS and audience reception. Although it’s at 28% from audiences and gen taking account trolling it’s still not good. Thinking a 2.6x multiple with a total at $112.6M total.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 75Live said:

Me having explosive diarrhea, a migraine all together with a root canal at the same time >>>>then anything on that list 

You have no good taste then.