Alli

Weekend Thread: Weekend estimates pg 38...BP 41.14....WIT 33.31

Of course, WIT is getting trolled, it’s obvious, you’d have to be blind, racist or just stupid to say otherwise. However it’s been going down or staying the same and don’t believe that many trolls would cause it to go that low. Other movies that got trolled went back up after previews. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The difference between 30% and 70% is huge. 

But if you think family audiences that went to previews last night logged in to RT and Google this morning to give it 1 star than I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you

It is impossible to put any number on a score that is this manipulated.  The extent that it can be manipulated is far beyond what a blockbuster like The Last Jedi can because the pool of actual movie watchers to balance it is a lot smaller.  ie we could be looking at 90%+ of all reviews being bs here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Of course, WIT is getting trolled, it’s obvious, you’d have to be blind, racist or just stupid to say otherwise. However it’s been going down or staying the same and don’t believe that many trolls would cause it to go that low. Other movies that got trolled went back up after previews. 

Black Panther was at low 70s all OW and only now is inching towards 80.

It's interesting to know that female audiences are no different than men in their chasing of brands over lesser known/more original products. Both Red Sparrow and Atomic Blonde turned out to be box office disappointments despite big stars and heavy marketing campaigns. 

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

It's interesting to know that female audiences are no different than men in their chasing of brands over lesser known/more original products. Both Red Sparrow and Atomic Blonde turned out to be box office disappointments despite big stars and heavy marketing campaigns. 

I mean, despite having women in the starring roles, it's not exactly like these are targeted at a broad swath of women. They're targeted at action dude bros.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Black Panther always seems to be underestimated so I'm still predicting it to win the weekend.

WiT will need to come in at the 12m bottom of that range and BP will need to go up to at least 10. Even then, WiT might win.

Just now, HerediTele said:

I mean, despite having women in the starring roles, it's not exactly like these are targeted at a broad swath of women. They're targeted at action dude bros.

I didn't see either of them, but how are they different from Wonder Woman, also an action movie. 

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Normally I like to think the actual score on a trolled movie is 15-20% higher (IE TLJ is at 50% when the actual score is probably 70%), but with this one, I really how no idea how much they're affecting the score. Trump trolls have it out for Oprah even though she's said numerous times she isn't running in 2020.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Spy movies rarely set the box office on fire. They've done fine.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Spy movies rarely set the box office on fire. They've done fine.

I think Atomic Blonde had a smaller budget so I'm sure they made out fine. Red Sparrow, I dunno. I haven't seen either of them so I'm not here stanning for them, just making a point. I feel like both of them should've made more money. 

Edited by tonytr87

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

And I believe BP's score was partly mitigated from dropping even lower by a large number of MCU fans countervoting against the 1-star reviews. AWiT has far fewer dedicated fans, so it makes sense that not many are voting against the obvious troll reviews.

• Like 2

Just now, DAJK said:

Speaking of spy movies, Skyfall's run was incredible to follow. A box office run almost as good as the movie itself

Skyfall taking back the #1 spot on its fifth weekend (granted it was one of the worst weekends of the year but still) was glorious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I didn't see either of them, but how are they different from Wonder Woman, also an action movie. 

A couple of things, I think. One, WW has been an icon for many women for a long time. Secondly, that film has a subtle but potent difference of emphasis in how things are shot and presented -- compare WW's presentation in her own movie versus her in BVS or JL, for example. Sexy chicks kicking ass is a subgenre that's been around for a long time, but for the most part it's still oriented and aimed at guys who like action or fight movies, not at women in general. (You could add the RESIDENT EVIL movies into this as well, along with UNDERWORLD, etc).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I think Atomic Blonde had a smaller budget so I'm sure they made out fine. Red Sparrow, I dunno. I haven't seen either of them so I'm not here stanning for them, just making a point. I feel like both of them should've made more money. 

Having seen both of those movies, they owe much more to John le Carre than to James Bond. So relatively speaking, they've done fine.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Just now, KP1025 said:

And I believe BP's score was partly mitigated from dropping even lower by a large number of MCU fans countervoting against the 1-star reviews. AWiT has far fewer dedicated fans, so it makes sense that not many are voting against the obvious troll reviews.

Not just MCU fans but fans in general.  Movies like BP get far more regular voter traffic than family skewing movies like WIT so  it's really easy to bring the avg down.  Peter Rabbit currently has 1800 votes and I think at least half of those were before it opened.

• Like 1