3. North By Northwest

4. The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

5. 39 Steps

6. Marathon Man

7. Three Days Of The Condor

8. The Fourth Protocol

9. Eye Of The Needle

10. Clear & Present Danger

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy  would also be there but the mini series  (and Smiley's People ) 

I'd add some Bond and MI movies but they're more action adventure that star a spy than spy movies.

I guess THE THIRD MAN would be more crime/thriller than spy?

59 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$40M opening for A Wrinkle in Time should lead to about a $110-120M finish. Not great, but Disney can at least chalk it up as a minor win.

you really think it's gonna have average legs like that with the rest of March looking abysmal? I

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Top of my head

1. Notorious

2. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

3. North By Northwest

4. The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

5. 39 Steps

6. Marathon Man

7. Three Days Of The Condor

8. The Fourth Protocol

9. Eye Of The Needle

10. Clear & Present Danger

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy  would also be there but the mini series  (and Smiley's People ) 

I'd add some Bond and MI movies but they're more action adventure that star a spy than spy movies.

I forgot about manchurian... woops. But i was only thinking recent memory.

3 minutes ago, Premium George said:

I don't think that's true with the performance of wonder, girls trip, pp3 and all. Movies like red bird, AB are just not geared towards woman as much as these movies. Woman will be more gravitate towards ragnarok even if john wick was a as big brand.

You make a good point with Wonder and Girls Trip.

1 hour ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Erm, think you're forgetting something...

I'm sure @IronJimbo will be along in a minute to correct you.

yes here i am.. it made $50m on it's forth weekend in case anyone didn't know and steadily powered on to make $760m dollars in USA and Canada! This was but a small part of it's monumental... phenomenal you could say... world wide total of $2.78b dollars.. a number so large that only a measly five films have managed to make just half of it (excluding Titanic of course).

• Thanks 1

Just now, HerediTele said:

I guess THE THIRD MAN would be more crime/thriller than spy?

Yeah, it's missing a spy or I'd have it on my list.   But other Graham Green adaptations like The Quiet American and  (very funny satire) Our Man in Havana should be there as well

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

You've said this before! What is it? Disney movies for children with fantastical elements, based on classic stories all sound like fairy tales to me. And yes I know that also applies to Star Wars/Marvel etc but this is a classic story in the vein of Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty etc

I consider something like the Lion King or Aladdin to be a fairy tale too, FWIW.

It's not "based on a classic story", it's an adaptation from a novel with a very specific tone and approach that isn't much at all like your typical Disney-created story. I know the difference is subtle, but it's huge -- that's why I object so much to Disney inserting their corporate name into the title (or near the title), as if it's somehow theirs, as opposed to just an adaptation.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The TV Tinker Tailor is very good but the film is a solid adaptation. Have you seen The Night Manager, that's a very good Le Carre series. 

I do agree as successful as Bond, MI and Bourne are, they're action films than spy films, Bond and Ethan Hunt are actually rubbish spies if you think about it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

12M would put it on course for 35, 14 could give it a shot at 40. Anything lower and it could fall below 30. I think BP ends up taking the weekend in the end.

Feels good coming home after being out the last few hours and seeing numbers exactly in line with what I expected...I think those are stronger than you think grim22...I think Sunday will at least match true Friday, so those numbers lead me to think $40M is on the table even at $12M...

Just now, Jonwo said:

The TV Tinker Tailor is very good but the film is a solid adaptation. Have you seen The Night Manager, that's a very good Le Carre series. 

I do agree as successful as Bond, MI and Bourne are, they're action films than spy films, Bond and Ethan Hunt are actually rubbish spies if you think about it!

I haven't yet though I like the Night Manager novel quite a bit

The Little Drummer Girl is my favorite Le Carre novel but the movie was completely miscast rubbish - hopefully the upcoming min-series will be good though Alexander Skarsgard as Becker has me rolling my eyes.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HerediTele said:

tbh, I was thinking mainly about ATOMIC BLONDE. But I still hold my general opinion that RED SPARROW isn't primarily targeting women.

MadMax Fury road vs Pitch Perfect 3 gender audience split is the extreme example of what you mean.

Red Sparrow as barely more action in it than say The Post, about Bridge of Spies level.

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

It's interesting to know that female audiences are no different than men in their chasing of brands over lesser known/more original products. Both Red Sparrow and Atomic Blonde turned out to be box office disappointments despite big stars and heavy marketing campaigns. 

Are those really movies for women though?  I mean, yes, they star women, but it's the same spy thriller movie concept...not all that huge an interest area for most women (I mean, I like them, but I don't go out of my way to see them in theaters)...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1