Eric Prime

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Random observation: is it me or are these "thank you for coming to the movies" introductions before the movie starts becoming more and more commonplace? I got one last week before A Wrinkle in Time with Ava DuVernay and also got one yesterday before Love, Simon with Nick Robinson and the director. They're really trying to combat the piracy problem, huh?

What did you think of it? Did it make you feel good to hear the director say "thank you for seeing my movie"? I'm asking honestly, not trying to be cynical.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Random observation: is it me or are these "thank you for coming to the movies" introductions before the movie starts becoming more and more commonplace? I got one last week before A Wrinkle in Time with Ava DuVernay and also got one yesterday before Love, Simon with Nick Robinson and the director. They're really trying to combat the piracy problem, huh?

For blockbusters to combat piracy you gotta make the movie a spectecle that needs to be seen on the big screen.

Pretty simple, if hollywoods forgotten how its done I know someones who done playing teacher and will show them how its done in a few years from now.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Marcus Cinemas does this every time with their owner before the movies.

I liked a few years back when AJ Hawk(former Packer) would smack a guy upside the head for using his cell phone 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lab276 said:

What did you think of it? Did it make you feel good to hear the director say "thank you for seeing my movie"? I'm asking honestly, not trying to be cynical.

No opinion on it either way. It's just...there. Just find it interesting that they're starting to show up more and more often.

Congrats to Blockbuster Phenomenon for becoming the 7th Film All Time to Cross 600 Million.   Now only Legendary Franchises in it's path.   "Awakens" and "Avatar" are safe and can rest easy.   Sadly for The Last Jedi, Avengers, Jurassic World and Titanic are all in the cross hairs.   Congrats to "Jumanji 2" for one of the most improbable 400 Million runs we've seen in a while.   It's going to be the Biggest Domestic Hit for The Rock, Jack Black and Kevin Hart's careers.  20 years ago all 3 were making their rounds in the industry.  I mean it's knocking on A Billion's door though it might fall just short.  To go against Star Wars coming off "Awakens" and the shocking success of "Rogue One" during a crowded Holiday season and pull those numbers was nothing short of amazing.   

As for "TR",  I guess did what was expected.  It's a reboot, but Hollywood's "Video Game Movie" problem seems to continue.  Fans love these games and stories but they don't seem to translate to Box Office Success.  They spent almost 100 Million on it so I guess the budget should of been a little more manageable since this was a reboot and the last "TR" dropped badly from the 1st which was one of the Highest Grossing Video Game Films Ever.  Sure the "Resident Evil" Franchise managed to do pretty well globally and there were a few success stories but overall more bombs than successes.   So if this was suppose to revive the franchise post Angie, I'm not sure it totally did it though overseas may save it in the end.  "A Wrinkle" just isn't gaining much traction and now competition will hurt it more down the line, 100 Million will take close to a 3x Mutiplier which it's seems on track to at least do that.    Congrats to Peter for cross 100 as well, deserve it's props.   "Red Sporrow" and "Death Wish" just aren't doing it.  Nothing wrong with the release dates because this time is normal for films like those, it's just getting destroyed by competition leaving a limited market for Adult Thrillers. 

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 3

The big time directors are never interested in making video games film, theres so many potential video games that could be spectactular but we're just not seeing the visionaries getting behind them.

The common trend seems to be to pick action games where gameplay is what makes them good.

@filmlover

Phenomenon and 7th in the same sentence :thinking:

Edited by IronJimbo

Our crowd absolutely loved Love, Simon and as a gay man hearing a bunch of girls literally SCREAM at

Spoiler

the reveal and then even louder at their kiss at the end

like they would during a Twilight film was an incredible experience.

• Like 3

Lol piracy issue is not cams during release 

It's those hd releases people watch and as a result the after market for most films is shitty at.

Last time I bought a blue ray was the force awakens.

You cannot combat piracy for the simple reason that 8/10 people who pirate shit, would not pay for the product anyway.

For the other 2/10, the amount of money, manpower and effort thrown at the issue, is simply not worth it. Moreover, it's egregious, when the enforcing powers could be fighting more severe problems like deep web crime.

I remember a few years ago someone compared the fines that one woman got for piracy to the compesation Air France paid to the relatives of the dead of an aircraft crash. 1 pirated download was 80k, whereas the compensation for a death was 24k.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

People who pirate suck and I’ve no respect for them or their opinions. Cheap asses. 

People who pirate also don’t really love film. 

You're telling me you've never illegally downloaded a song in the 30+ years of your supposedly crime-free existence?