Eric Prime

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

8 hours ago, LonePirate said:

It will outgross both Call Me By Your Name and Moonlight within the next week or two. That is a notable feat given the awards PR that propelled those two films. Sure, it's no Brokeback; but it doesn't have Brokeback's cast, either. 

Money aside, the people seeing the film are loving its emotional and heartwarming impact. That's far more important to some moviegoers than experiencing the latest visual spectacle.

It isn't really notable to be honest considering both of those were limited release non-studio arthouse movies and Love, Simon is a major studio wide release.  

It is great the movie is well reviewed and people are loving it, but beating out those two isn't notable giving the circumstances.  

• Like 1

It's weird to me how movies with gay main characters seemingly had a much easier time reaching the mainstream and making big money in the mid-90s (Philadelphia, In & Out, The Birdcage which freaking made over 120m) than they do now. 

• Like 2

I'm curious how high Isle of Dogs is going to go next week. The Grand Budapest Hotel's first weekend in NY/LA had a 202.7k PTA while the second weekend in 66 theaters had a 55k PTA, so I think the PTA next weekend might be batshit crazy. A 100k PTA in 27 theaters would get it to 2.7M, which could be enough for the Top 12 if Midnight Sun bombs hard enough :ohmygod: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's weird to me how movies with gay main characters seemingly had a much easier time reaching the mainstream and making big money in the mid-90s (Philadelphia, In & Out, The Birdcage which freaking made over 120m) than they do now. 

Philadelphia was pretty topical with a decent sized star in it, the Birdcage was a stereotype. Gay people dying or being camp/funny is very different than gay people just doing normal people stuff.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Could be that Hollywood just did not follow those movies up with anything. Gay lead movies became relegated to indies instead of mainstream in the interim.

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Philidelphia and The Birdcage benefited from huge star power, which basically no LGBT movie has today oddly enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Could be that Hollywood just did not follow those movies up with anything. Gay lead movies became relegated to indies instead of mainstream in the interim.

So much for "Brokeback Mountain will usher in a new era" (though that movie's entire BO performance - it adjusts to $115M today - was obviously an anomaly).

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I loved Philadelphia (check my top 100) and the Birdcage (which was one of the last 5 to miss my top 100)...but you can't compare Love Simon to them b/c 1. they are adult, not teen, characters in the main plot, 2. they had A-listers in the lead roles and all the power of what the A-list meant then (which is more than now), and 3. they aren't teen rom-coms - 1 is a tear-jerking courtroom drama and the other is a rom com which takes the com to unprecedented heights...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Right?  Or a cross-dressing movie with a weird ass title like TO WONG FOO, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, JULIE NEWMAR topping the box office for 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Philidelphia and The Birdcage benefited from huge star power, which basically no LGBT movie has today oddly enough.

In that case, someone should really think about making a Rock/Hart romance movie. Would probably make $100M in its OW. :thinking:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 4

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

DiCaprio you hear that? You know what you have to do after the Tarantino movie. 

• Astonished 2

I hope Jumanji collapses next weekend thanks to the home video release and finishes its run like $500k short of Spider-Man. Would be hilarious. Sony should have paid attention to Fox when they postponed Showman's blu-ray release date.

The Death of Stalin is kicking ass in expansion. IFC needs to put this in over 100 theaters next weekend and over 600 on the 30th. They can get their fourth $10m grosser with this. 

• Like 1