Eric Prime

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

15 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Panther's success is historical. Wish Tomb Raider and Love, Simon had done better. ICOI did quite impressively for a Christian movie.

I don't particularly endorse piracy (though I'd be lying if I said I've never illegally downloaded stuff.... because I couldn't find the thing I wanted in stores, and eBay or Amazon weren't a thing for me yet), but you are aware that those that get their shit from pirate websites probably don't have the financial capacity to go often to the theaters - whether because it's expensive or because they don't have a theater near them - and have to resort to piracy to watch films they wanted to see but not quite as much as others that they'd actually pay for? "Cheap asses who don't really love film".... I mean, maybe the cheap ass part is right, but I doubt someone would do an illegal thing because they hate cinema (or video games, music, etc.).

Yeah, before movie pass this was the case for me. Going to the movies on a consistent basis in Los Angeles is really expensive. Its $15-$17 for a regular 2D showing out here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

@IronJimbo, they’re speaking messy about that garbage ferngully movie you love so much.

I am surprised Thor 3 did this well. Wait I mean Black Panther. They pretty much had the exact same plot.  I get those movies confused. Sorry about that. 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

10 years back just 1 500+ film in Titanic. Now all 10 are 500+. In 2-3 years all 10 could be 600+.

Rank Title(click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross Year^
1 Titanic Par. $600,788,188 1997^
2 Star Wars Fox $460,998,007 1977^
3 Shrek 2 DW $441,226,247 2004
4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. $435,110,554 1982^
5 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox $431,088,301 1999^
6 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $423,315,812 2006
7 Spider-Man Sony $403,706,375 2002
8 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox $380,270,577 2005^
9 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King NL $377,027,325 2003^
10 Spider-Man 2 Sony $373,585,825 2004
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

People who pirate suck and I’ve no respect for them or their opinions. Cheap asses. 

People who pirate also don’t really love film. 

Meh.

Plenty of people who love film pirate.

Those two thing are not exclusive (except in your head).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

@IronJimbo, they’re speaking messy about that garbage ferngully movie you love so much.

huh? don't know any films of that description

24 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Looks like Black Panther is the 2nd fastest movie to hit 600 m (31 days).

And the only 21st century movie to stay #1 for five weekends (consecutive or non-consecutive).

You're forgetting the highest grossing film of all time did 7 weeks at #1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, lab276 said:

Would something like this be more effective as far as combatting piracy goes? I thought these were pretty amusing, but the penalties are genuinely severe in Japan.

I don't know if hiring costumed choreographers for all movie theaters would be an effective anti-piracy deterrent.