Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

3 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Now that the dust has settled, did people genuinely LOVE BP or did they get swept up by the hype and by Marvel's workmanlike efficiency in making and promoting the movie?

You couldn't pay me to see it a second time. 

I liked it but didn't love it.  I thought it had some really good stuff but I also think it is benefiting from all kinds of different things that have nothing to do with the quality of the movie.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

Now that the dust has settled, did people genuinely LOVE BP or did they get swept up by the hype and by Marvel's workmanlike efficiency in making and promoting the movie?

Ive seen it 10 times. I love it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have seen BP three times (just like I saw Wonder Woman 4 times and Thor Ragnarok 3 times). Nothing to do with the efficiency of the marketing (or in WW's and BP's case, sociocultural importance) and everything to do with how much I loved those three movies...

• Like 5

630.25 after 16 weekend for BP according to Pro.BO.

DP had a weekend of 8 and added 22 more. So those legs give BP 630.25 + 44 = 674.25

DP's hold this weekend was really good though at 27% and showed some strong holds for a few weeks.

But BP has been trending better so far and no reason why it can't make it to 675. Don't know why 700 seems so far all of a sudden. Looked real at one point.

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

You are Indian, we have 3 of those movies already.

D1 B- // liked it more at the time of release

D2 C+ // best songs/dance. else would do down to C/C-

D3 B // liked the scale, prod values and AK's acting. Kaif should have been utilized better.

Would like a more rustic, earthen D4 that goes into the smaller towns instead of foreign locales with Kangana in the lead; Abhishek, Uday continuing to support.

Edited by a2knet

Friday numbers were strong.  This might create low Saturday jumps just like last week, last year, and in 2007.   The day and date weekend back in 2007 suggests larger Sunday drops than last week, but last year Logan, Kong, and The Shack still held a 10% lead over Friday.   

Monday is looking to do about the same as last Monday.  About 75% off for the animated films that retain only 15% of audiences when school is full.  Wednesday should be the same as Monday, and Thursday should be about 10-25% up from Monday and Wednesday average for animated films.  For the newer films, Thursday should be up maybe 10% depending on if Ready Player One takes away locations.  A comparable time was when Furious 7 opened during the first week of April for Easter and the Thursday previews dominated, but everything else rebounded too.  Therefore Ready Player One should not take away too much, maybe some dailies will stay the same throughout, whereas for others, Thursday = Tuesday and Monday = Wednesday.  

RP1 might grab 4,200 locations on Thursday.  Perhaps Wednesday will be down slightly on Monday (reduced shows from Wednesday RP1 night preview shows)  

God's Not Dead 3 and Acrimony open on Friday with Thursday night showings and are looking for 4,000 locations of their own.  There should not be much of a net change in theater counts on a week-to-week basis, so assume to subtract roughly 8,000 theater counts from roughly 40,000 for the top 30 featured films for this upcoming weekend.  

Edited by Thematrixfilm
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

630.25 after 16 weekend for BP according to Pro.BO.

DP had a weekend of 8 and added 22 more. So those legs give BP 630.25 + 44 = 674.25

DP's hold this weekend was really good though at 27% and showed some strong holds for a few weeks.

But BP has been trending better so far and no reason why it can't make it to 675. Don't know why 700 seems so far all of a sudden. Looked real at one point.

I think it depends on what one used to extrapolate further numbers. If one used Deadpool as a comparison, that was kind of misleading due to different behaviour during spring break. Black Panther had really low drops from day 25 to 29, and then reverted back to its normal drops around 40%, Deadpool, on the other hand, had 12 days of really low drops and a few better than usual drops sprinkled in before and after that period. Any projection for BP that used Deadpool's multiplier from a certain weekend on would thus be really inflated. Especially with spring break hitting later for Deadpool than for BP, which basically leads to counting spring break twice if you use Deadpool's numbers on Black Panther.

This week BP seems to run slightly ahead of TFA, which made another 70m or so the rest of the way. So that would put BP at about 688m or so. On the other hand, TFA had some pretty great drops coming up, so BP might not be able to keep up with that pace. 675m sounds like a good target to me at that point.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, La Binoche said:

IMO, it is another SH film. Nothing else. Some friends who do not care about BO said me the same: an entertaining film, but nothing special. I think it is better than 2017 MCU films, for example, but not the best of the whole MCU. Not even close.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

BP is up there with Winter Soldier as far as I'm concerned.

I'd like to hear what the haters ideal BP movie is like cause as a hardcore BP fan it's hard for me to imagine a better executed BP movie.

up where? I can't even see Winter Solider down past the clouds

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I think it depends on what one used to extrapolate further numbers. If one used Deadpool as a comparison, that was kind of misleading due to different behaviour during spring break. Black Panther had really low drops from day 25 to 29, and then reverted back to its normal drops around 40%, Deadpool, on the other hand, had 12 days of really low drops and a few better than usual drops sprinkled in before and after that period. Any projection for BP that used Deadpool's multiplier from a certain weekend on would thus be really inflated. Especially with spring break hitting later for Deadpool than for BP, which basically leads to counting spring break twice if you use Deadpool's numbers on Black Panther.

This week BP seems to run slightly ahead of TFA, which made another 70m or so the rest of the way. So that would put BP at about 688m or so. On the other hand, TFA had some pretty great drops coming up, so BP might not be able to keep up with that pace. 675m sounds like a good target to me at that point.

Yeah that makes sense. I over-simplified it by just taking one weekend.

Pacific Rim Friday # = $8,000,000 + $2,350,000 in previews.  

$8,000,000 Friday gross         

3,708 locations                        

average ticket price range of $9

($8,000,000)   = 240 tickets

($9)(3,708)

240 tickets is up from Tomb Raider which was close to 200.  Tomb Raider had a Saturday near 250, a 25% increase on Saturday, which seems good for a big video game movie on day number two.  The matinees on day two might pull away demand from the night showings on the second day.  A similar Saturday for Pacific Rim gives 300 for Saturday.  33% drop Sunday gives 200 and a ratio from Friday of (200/240).  Assuming 500 the next two days would calculate a three day gross of roughly 25 million dollars.  27.36 million with the previewed showings. 

Monday = roughly 30% of Sunday

= 200*(0.3) = 60.  An increase of 33.33% on Tuesday would give 80.  (4/3 ratio from Monday)  

Fri  (+3/2) Sat  (-40%) Sun   (-2/3)  Mon     (+1/3) Tues  (-35%) Wed 

100            150              90               30                  40                26           

• Like 1

Fri   Sat  Sun  Mon  T  W Th  -   Fri   Sat  Sun

Uprising - 240  300  200  60   80 60 60  -  150  150  100

27.35 weekend.  8.85 in weekdays.  36.20 million 10-day. 

Second weekend - 400 purchases per location (average) 13.62 second weekend (-50.2%)  49.82 total.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Don't know why 700 seems so far all of a sudden. Looked real at one point.

@George Parr brought up some excellent points. I'll add that the 5th weekend figure coming in lower than estimates/projections is where I felt 700 million seemed out of reach. NCAA March Madness + St. Patrick's Day (Sat.) and direct competition from Tomb Raider brought the numbers down. 30 million (beating Titanic's 5th weekend) was well within reach but the actuals dropped a bit harsher than we expected. The subsequent weekdays and this weekend is basically showing the carryover effect.

• Like 1