Eric is Anxious

Easter Weekend Thread: Official Weekend Actuals: RPO $41.8M ($53.7M 4-Day), Acrimony $17.2M, BP $11.5M, ICOI $10.4M, PRU $9.4M, IOD $2.9M, GND3 $2.7M

3 hours ago, The Mad Panda said:

Raiders and Schindler’s List are the best two Spielberg, you can debate the order of the rest.

I, of course, disagree......to me, it's 

Jaws

E.T.

Raiders

you can debate the order of the rest.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

acrimony has been selling huge tonight. Tracking was way off.

Tracking is often way off...of everything.

• Like 1

Spielberg is one of the rare directors where it is really, really hard to try and rank his Top 25 or so films but much easier to rank his bottom films.  I think that Ready Player One is his 32nd film including partial directing for theatrical of any kind releases, so will go in reverse order for his bottom films with small explanations....

32.  Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - he didn't even want to direct this piece of shit but felt obligated to do a favor to George and Harrison Ford and still had multiple great moments

31.  The Lost World - has a couple of decent sequences, but ultimately his most cash the paycheck of projects

30.  1941 - misfire on most levels even thought it has developed sort of a cult "this is so underrated!!" vibe in the last decade and that tells you how good even his worst films are

29.  Always - fine but forgettable

28.  The Terminal - same as above

27.  Hook - crazy entertaining sequences, but universally regarded as the worst of Spielberg's qualities everyone seems to complain about like being too sentimental  

That is pretty much it.  I think you can take the rest of his filmography and any of the remaining 26 films most directors would kill for and would be their best or nearly their best film.  Any of them.  

The worst 6 films of Spielberg's career would actually be a solid career for many directors as taken by themselves.  

• Like 7

And funny enough I pretty much loved The Terminal.  Sweet, funny and full of nice touching moments.  But, different strokes....

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

And funny enough I pretty much loved The Terminal.  Sweet, funny and full of nice touching moments.  But, different strokes....

That again shows you how incredibly strong even his worst films are.  

I honestly think he really hasn't made a truly bad film.  His absolute worst films have multiple thrilling sequences or have plenty of fans that will defend them.  

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

I really like The Terminal too. It's quite a lighthearted film, but very entertaining, and delightful as well. 

For me there isn't a true bad Spielberg film. Even a lesser film on his filmography has something to recommend about it. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

I think films like Minority Report, War Horse,  Bridge of Spies and War of the Worlds are all solid flicks but not ones that would make a "Best of.." list for any years they made.  They're fun movies. 

I don't feel like they approach "Classic Spielberg".